Not Engaged Yet

I am being a PW today: I haz a sad :(

I just found out that a really good family friend has been sentenced to 2 years in prison for drunk driving. This makes me super sad because I know he really is a good guy (although obviously drunk driving is NEVER excusable) but he has been letting his life spiral out of control.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him and I definetly think he deserves punishment but my mom was friends with a woman who turned out to be having a sexual relationship with one of her 14 year old students and she got 2 years as well. I don't really see how those crimes deserve the same punishment. I really think that she deserved more than 2 years more than him deserving less but that is really just a sidenote more than anything.

I'm really bummed that he let his life get to this point and that now he won't be at all of our family gatherings. He usually spends Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, ect with us so him not being there will really seem like a member of the family is missing. And I know this is pre-mature given that BF and I aren't engaged yet but with the timeline we have in mind now he will be in jail when we get married which sucks because he's really been there for both of us through our entire relationship and has been really excited for us to get married for a long time.

Re: I am being a PW today: I haz a sad :(

• :(  That sucks I am so sorry Beth.  Hugs.   I am not really coherent right now but that really sucks.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Are you sure this was his first offense?  My step-dad was hit by a drunk driver & it was the guy's 2nd or 3rd offense & even he didn't go to prison.  

Regardless, I'm sorry you're sad :(

• I'm sorry. Maybe this will help him get his life back on track, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sorry you're sad, but it's better he gets 2 years for DWI than up to 15 years for vehicular homicide.
  • Two years? How many was it? One of our friends just got his third and he's not even looking at 2 yrs. His second he got 48 hours jail time and 16 days house arrest.

But I understand that its hard a family member wont be involved in holiday gatherings. My brother got in a ton of trouble when he was younger and sat in jail/prison from the time I was 17 til right before my 21st bday.

One of the best things would be if you can to go and visit him, itll make it easier on you and him and it'll show him that you still care for him.

• That seems pretty extreme, is there more to his situation?

I'm not saying that someone having a relationship with a 14 year old is in any way appropriate. However, drinking and driving is essentially like being a loaded weapon and Shoes has an excellent point.

Although, knowing someone in this situation is always hard and I know here a drinking and driving conviction essentially ruins your life with the cost of insurance.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_am-being-pw-today-haz-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e4badd52-59e8-4fe9-84b3-ff99dfc90167Post:2c1afdce-f901-479f-82ef-3f938c1d3eaf">Re: I am being a PW today: I haz a sad :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry you're sad, <strong>but it's better he gets 2 years for DWI than up to 15 years for vehicular homicide.
    </strong>Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

Yup, or better yet, that he didn't get punished now and down the road he had to live with the fact that he killed someone because he did one of the dumbest things in the world. Thank God he didn't kill anyone this time. It does suck and I'm sorry you're sad, but it could be so much worse.
  • I'm sorry Beth.  Sousa and Shoes both make a really good point though.  It could be so much worse.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm assuming this is not his first DUI?  As far as I know, AZ is one of the toughest penalty states in the country for DUI and we don't even sentence 2 years for first time offenders, so I'm betting this isn't his first rodeo. 

Regardless, it sucks that it had to get to this point, but hopefully this will be the major wake-up call that he needs to get his life back on track. 
    Anniversary
  • Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. It's been busy this morning! I know it could've been worse and I'm really glad it isn't! I'm not sure on the details of the case but nobody thought he would get 2 years and a lot of people thought he wouldn't get any jail time.

This is his first offense but there have been other alcohol related charges. My parents have been trying to help him with his alcohol problems for awhile.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards