Wedding Invitations & Paper

Proof Please!

I'm getting confused.  mostly on the proper way of addressing my parents' and the FI's parents' names.

This is what I ahve so far:

Dr. and Mrs. Dad Middle Last
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
First Middle
to
First Middle Last
son of
Mr. Dad Last and Mrs. Mom Maiden

Saturday, the twenty-sixth of January
Two thousand thirteen
at two o'clock

Saint Church
Street Address
City, State

What is confusing me are the following:
I'd like to include my mom's first name.  How do I do that properly?
And FMIL held on to her maiden name.  I'd like to keep hers and FFILs name on the same line.  Is what I did appropriate?
Lastly, FFIL is a dentist.  Does he get the title Dr?
I've asked FILs if they have preferences but I just thought I'd check to see what is proper.

The reception card reads:
Reception
at five o'clock

Hotel
Street Address
City, State

The response card reads:
The favour of a reply is requested
before the tenth of December
M________
__accepts with pleasure
__decline with regret

+1 (000) 000-0000
www.website.com

Then, I'll just order business cards with:
For directions, accommodations, and additional information, please visit
www.website.com

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Proof Please!

• You don't have to include the FIL's but it's nice to name them as CMGr has done. Other notes: 1 Your response date is far too early. A wedding in late January should have a response date no earlier than Dec 26th or 1 mo prior to the big day. Personally, I'd make it after the new year. 2 I'm not a fan of adding 'with pleasure' and 'with regret' to responses. It's presumptuous to do so. You can just list the responses as 'accepts' and 'declines'. 3 It looks like there is a fairly long gap between the ceremony and reception. I'd include what you will be hosting for your guests during that time on an enclosure card.
  • Thanks cmgr!  Thanks banana too, a couple responses:

1 Your response date is far too early. A wedding in late January should have a response date no earlier than Dec 26th or 1 mo prior to the big day. Personally, I'd make it after the new year.
    -I realize the response date is early as far as etiquette dictates.  Half the attendees, however, are international (as in a 24-hour flight).  Another 40% are at LEAST 6-8 hours away.  For this reason, our invitiations are going out early November instead of December (about 10 wks instead of 6).  I don't want the response date to be tooo long after the invites go out, but I do have to account for international mailing, which can add anywhere between a few extra days to an extra coupls of weeks.  Knowing all that, when would you suggest the response date be? 

2 I'm not a fan of adding 'with pleasure' and 'with regret' to responses. It's presumptuous to do so. You can just list the responses as 'accepts' and 'declines'.
    -I've gone back and forth.  I think I'll just hold on to the pleasure/regret.

3 It looks like there is a fairly long gap between the ceremony and reception. I'd include what you will be hosting for your guests during that time on an enclosure card.
    That is all on the website.  We are hosting coffee/hot chocolate and donuts at the church following the ceremony.  And a small table of snacks and drinks hosted prior to the start of cocktail hour at the hotel. The area is adjacent to bar -- so there is access to a cash bar should people desire alcohol drinks but we are not hosting that.

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would mail the invitations at the 10 wk mark for the international guests.

Make the response date no earlier than 1 mo before.   They should know to respond early and if not, you'll have time to get responses.   With the holidays, asking any earlier than 1 mo ahead of time really isn't courteous to your guests.
  • I really do not think this is correct.
    Ms. Jane Doe and Doctor John Doe

I believe it's Doctor (spelled out) and Mrs. First Last

Your mom's first name does not need to be on the invitation.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_proof-please-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:86955f74-23a3-4e18-a199-f9b3f4826289Post:9d5f52ea-21a7-4dc6-8299-6b47659ba35a">Re: Proof Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would mail the invitations at the 10 wk mark for the international guests. Make the response date no earlier than 1 mo before.   They should know to respond early and if not, you'll have time to get responses.   With the holidays, asking any earlier than 1 mo ahead of time really isn't courteous to your guests.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

One month earlier is Dec 26th.  Do you think that is better than Dec 10th?
    Or maybe Dec 17th would be better?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_proof-please-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:86955f74-23a3-4e18-a199-f9b3f4826289Post:d4ebbb42-4b2a-47f6-85fb-7d930d75838b">Re: Proof Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really do not think this is correct. Ms. Jane Doe and Doctor John Doe I believe it's Doctor (spelled out) and Mrs. First Last Your mom's first name does not need to be on the invitation.
    Posted by coraleetbwed[/QUOTE]

I know my mom's name doesn't NEED to be on the invitation but FMILs name will be.  (I'd like to include the son of line and FMIL would not stand by her husband's name being on the invitation and not hers).  Since I am including my FMILs name, I would like to include my own mom's.  It's a bit cumbersome but I think I will do
    Ms. Mom and Doctor Dad for both.  Unless there are any other suggestions?

• Make it sometime after Christmas. Absolutely do not ask guests to respond before the holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards