Wedding Etiquette Forum

Inviting Co-workers

Hi all!  Here is my situation.  I started my current job about a year ago.  About 15 people work in my department.  Out of the 15, there are 2 co-workers that are around my age (under 30) and that I am friendly with.  We don't necessarily hang out outside of work, but have become friends and often chat about our lives.  Since I got engaged in September, they have been very interested in the wedding planning process (I am having an Indian wedding so there are many things that are not traditional to them) and constantly ask me how it is going.  Without giving it too much thought, I have been very open with discussing the wedding details with them.  Although I am friendly with and get along with everybody else in the office, I rarely talk about non-work topics with them.  I originally wasn't planning on inviting any of my co-workers, but now would like to invite these 2.  Would it be wrong to invite only these 2 without inviting everybody else?  Thanks for all of your input!     

Re: Inviting Co-workers

• I think it would be fine. It's not like an office of, say, 4 people and only 2 get invited. If you are friendly enough to want to invite those 2 to the wedding, I think you should do it.

As a teacher, I initially planned on only inviting people from my department and my 2 bridesmaids who teach in other departments to avoid hurt feelings and make very clear lines. But then I realized that I wanted the people I ate lunch with every day and sometimes hung out with outside of work to be invited. It's your wedding, and you should be allowed to invite people you consider friends. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm sort of having the same problem! I work as a graduate student at my office and have for the past two years. I am graduating in May but they offered me a job, so this will be my real job. I have about 10 people in my office, many are older and are SO curious about wedding planning. I want to invite all my co-workers sort of...We all eat lunch together and such, but nothing outside of work ever.
    I am also concerned because they are all kind of snooty women that my wedding will not be to their liking. I am doing just a simple down-home feeling wedding with outdoor games and southern food and canned beer. That is my budget and what I prefer.
    I feel obligated to invite everyone, especially since they all ask about how wedding planning is going. And they gave me the permanent job...
    Any suggestions?
  • I am having the same problem!  Any advice would be great! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards