Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Long Awaited Caterer Explanation (Long)

It was so long I just put it on my bio. Sorry in advance for the whacked out formatting, but I am tired of trying to fix it.

http://jayandmarissa.yolasite.com/the-catering-disaster.php
Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!

Re: Long Awaited Caterer Explanation (Long)

• cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!! What a mess!! Im so sorry ya'll had to deal with that on your wedding day :(

Just a word of advice....if you cannot get a refund for her I would file a suit in small claims court for breach of contract....it costs like $30 to do so and if you are awarded a judgment (which is possible that the court would find the case in favor of you....based off what you described) you can also collect court costs and attorney fees that you had to pay as a result of basically being forced to file the suit...although it is super simple and you probably wouldnt need an attorney

Hope that helps a little bit!!!

PS: Just a standard disclaimer...I am not an attorney and that is not actual legal advice (since I am not licensed to give legal advice) but as a paralegal for many years handling breach of contracts it is my personal opinion....if you have exhausted all other options and cannot collect money that should be rightfully refunded IMO
  • edited December 2011
    Wow Marissa!  I can't even imagine how I would have felt to have had that situation at a reception.  I really hope that your parents are able to get back the money that they asked for (and that she said she would refund).
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marissa,
    I have gone to small claims court myself and it's relatively easy and painless.  You just have to show up at the time the judge wants you to be there.  And I would encourage you to do so only if your mom doesn't get any back through the credit card company.

You're right--it is a terrible situation and I can understand how things might have been a little messed up.  However, I would have been very upset at most of what went on at your reception.
  • edited December 2011
    Whoops...looks like I repeated some in the copy/pasting. Fixed it.

Ugh...just reading over it again makes me mad. The worst part is I was really hoping it all came together well so I could give her a great review, because she really did seem to be on top of it and had great prices. I told her multiple times I found her on the Knot, and the last thing we said to her before we left the last meeting was that we'd be sure to give her great reviews all over the internet.

It's funny, because all of my other vendors found on the knot are very aware of their reputation here, and went out of their way to thank me for recommending them as they realize how much it helps their business. I guess the caterer doesn't get a lot of people from here? She also blew the chance to get "in" at the Old Red. That would have been gold for her, since if she got on their recommended caterer's list, she would have been the cheapest option and the Old Red Coordinator was originally very impressed with her--you could tell that she was trying to make a good impression at the venue meeting. I was definitely the wrong bride for this to happen to!
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry about all of that. :( Very unprofessional on her part, but kudos to Melody for helping out.
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your honesty. I hope it will help future brides.
    I am deeply sorry you had to experience that.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Marissa that just breaks my heart.  Not only for you and Jay but your families as well.  I know you worked so hard on every detail and I admire the fact that you still found joy on your wedding day in spite of the disappointments.  I hope your family is compensated for the terrible service you received.
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marissa - I am so sorry to read about all of this.  I really hope that you, Jay and your parents get the outcome that you're hoping for.  :(
  • edited December 2011
    That is so sad.  Like you said, we could all understand why things might not go as originally planned given her situation, but it's terrible that her staff couldn't/wouldn't step up to help her out.
    imageimage Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Aww, sorry you had to go through all that Marissa! I can't believe it! I really hope you can get a refund and a sincere apology from her. You worked so hard on everything!

I saw Melody at the Bridal Show today and told her I heard great things about her (from reading your reviews and others). I'm going to check into her because she was so nice and welcoming. She said she felt horrible that you had to experience everything you went through. But she said if I needed any help with wedding planning, you're the girl to go to! lol. She is sweet.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, thanks Lindsey! She really is SO awesome and worth EVERY penny. Willing to work with budgets too...

Have you decided what venue you are using yet?
  • MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry you had to deal with this Marissa.  It really was unfortunate that she misled you into thinking that she had it all under control.  Thankfully it seems like you had people around you that were able to salvage what they could of the situation.

Thank you for sharing your experience, the reviews will hopefully help someone else avoid the headache.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks...hopefully we'll get the $$$ back
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards