New Jersey

New Here!

Hi everyone!  I have been reading posts for a few days and thought I would take the time to introduce myself.  I just got engaged last Friday, August 20th, to my boyfriend of 8 years.  He finally popped the question!  LOL!  He got me a beautiful ring that he picked out himself and proposed on the beach in Long Beach Island, right near where he first said "I love you" to me 8 long years ago!

Since I have gotten engaged many people are telling me to start looking for reception venues right away, because we want to get married next Fall of 2011.  They said that places would already be booked up for then!  So I have heeded their warnings and have been doing a lot of research.  My parents and I are going to look at some places tonight and me and my SO will be looking at places tommorrow and Friday.  We're looking for "rustic", somewhat non-traditional places.  We don't have a budget yet, and I don't think any of us have any idea what things typically cost so I imagine after we see what we can get at various places for the money, that will help us narrow places down.  I'm figuring in the $100-150 pp range, but thats just a very tentative figure!

I currently live in Middlesex County, NJ, and I will be completing my last year of grad school in social work this year, all while planning the wedding!  I am looking forward to a busy year!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New Here!

• edited December 2011
    Welcome and Congratulations!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    congrats and welcome!!! I would def set a budget first and do a guest list so you know how big or small of a room you will need!
  • smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

$100-150 is a huge range when you start multiplying that number by # of guests. Try to set a budget and guest count before looking at venues. This is a great resource for recommendations and advice.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! Definitely sit down with your FI and talk about a budget and guest list. That will give you a better idea of the size room you'll need. Happy planning! =)
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! I agree discuss the budget and guest list before doing anything else you may fall in love with a place that you can't fit in or can't afford so be sure you know what you are working with when you walk in the door.
  • missdonnaannemissdonnaanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!! Everyone on this board is super helpful, especially with looking for vendors. I suggest searching postings too, I found lots of info on my vendors that way too! It takes awhile but coming up with solid budget will really help narrow down your venue search. It's a crazy but fabulous process!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board! I agree with other posts, agree on a budget and tentative guest list. The cost and venues can change accordingly. Good Luck!
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Faith2730Faith2730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations and Enjoy planning!
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement! He picked a great day to get engaged...my wedding day is next August 20th ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!  I do not post very often but I also got engaged on LBI and will also be completing my last year at school for social work!  Congratulations and good luck with your next year of planning and finishing up your degree!
    BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  I think you've gotten good advice.  I got engaged in September of last year and wanted a Fall wedding this year- my choices were limited when I started looking the last week in September.  Definitely (like PP's said) get your guest list together and start narrowing down places based on size and cost/person.  Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and happy planning!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    congrats and welcome!! Agree with prior posts - definately need an idea of budget and number of guests so you dont waste your time looking at places that are not going to work for you.
    M-43 DOR (FSH 20 AMH 0.16, AFC 4-6) Endo stage III DH-42 (low everything)
    TTC #1 unofficially since 6/09, officially since 10/10
    6/11 RE testing,rt tube blocked with hydro, 8/11 lap surgery rt tl
    IVF#1 10/11 Estrace,450 Follistim, 15 units low-dose HCG, DHEA - cancelled (only follie growing)
    IVF#2 started stims 11/4/11 - same protocol, increase in concentration of HCG, added CoQ10, no response, cancelled on CD 12
    12/2/11 began accupuncture; Break in Dec. Next cycle anticipated in Jan.
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  Happy planning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome and Happy planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MandiCateMandiCate member
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  Definitely start talking about budget & the number of guests.
  • meg&jarredmeg&jarred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!!!  I just graduated this past May with my MSW from RU!  Good luck with planning and feel free to ask any questions!!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_new-here-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4fe5fbec-eb4a-4cc4-ac51-1af394de9bb6Post:985673f1-99fc-4730-a56b-ec3a2a11806d">Re: New Here!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats and welcome!!!  I just graduated this past May with my MSW from RU!  Good luck with planning and feel free to ask any questions!!! 
    Posted by meg&jarred[/QUOTE]

That's so funny!  I am going to Rutgers too!  This will be my third year (I went part-time this last year) so I may very well know you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_new-here-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4fe5fbec-eb4a-4cc4-ac51-1af394de9bb6Post:2dbe0f10-10ae-4b3d-bd27-9d204f13b82c">Re: New Here!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi!  I do not post very often but I also got engaged on LBI and will also be completing my last year at school for social work!  Congratulations and good luck with your next year of planning and finishing up your degree!
    Posted by zeitsev[/QUOTE]

Those are some coincidences!!  When do you plan on having a wedding?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome.  
  • M&SLnWM&SLnW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome & congratulations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • teacup0618teacup0618 member
    edited December 2011
    congrats and welcome!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our wedding is at Highlawn Pavilion on June 26, 2011!  It's going to be a very busy last semester!  We have been using my school breaks as times to do wedding things so that way I don't go crazy during stressful times at school.  It's been working pretty well so far!  Good luck with everything! 
    BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards