Wedding Invitations & Paper

Bar Options/Reception Card w/ Invites

I have a quick question on what goes on the Reception Card. I know the location and Meal Options. But is it ok to tell guests what will and will not be hosted at the Bar. ie. Hosted Beverages include X Keg Bear, X White Wine, X Red Wine and Sodas/Pop (depending on where you are from :) ) . Cash bar also available.

Or do I not include it and just have the sign at the bar when guests arrive? I would like to include it in the invite so guests know what is and is not free so they can plan ahead and bring cash if need be.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Bar Options/Reception Card w/ Invites

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    I wouldn't put anything on the invitations.  I've been to plenty of weddings with wine and beer hosted only.  That's what almost everyone drank.  If someone seriously needs a martini and can't live without it, they have a problem.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I wouldn't put it on there at all.  FWIW, I'd only offer what you plan to host. 

Or spread that by word of mouth and include a sign at the bar that says, "Wine, beer and soft drinks are provided courtesy of the bride and groom"
  • edited August 2010
    Well I am planning on hosting everything for the WP which the bartenders and WP will know.

Is that super rude?
  • I wouldn't give the WP separate bar options from everyone else.  I've been to beer and wine only receptions and there were no other options available and I never heard a complaint.  There was no sign telling us about or card in the invite.  People just figured it out when they got to the bar. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_bar-optionsreception-card-w-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:cf3b5440-6621-48c6-b0f0-136b48786b49Post:3ec6d648-270a-47dd-a4d8-69303ead9585">Re: Bar Options/Reception Card w/ Invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I am planning on hosting everything for the WP which the bartenders and WP will know. Is that super rude?
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

To the exclusion of the guests?  Extremely rude.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_bar-optionsreception-card-w-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:cf3b5440-6621-48c6-b0f0-136b48786b49Post:3ec6d648-270a-47dd-a4d8-69303ead9585">Re: Bar Options/Reception Card w/ Invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I am planning on hosting everything for the WP which the bartenders and WP will know. Is that super rude?
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]
    Yes, extremely rude.  People will see the WP walk up to the bar and walk away with a cocktail without money exchanging hands, then will go up, order the same thing, and be told to pay up.  EVERYONE will know.  The only way to possibly get away with it is slip them each some cash before the wedding to cover the drinks, but it's still exceptionally rude to give some of your guests special treatment.

Personally, limited/cash bar annoys the hell out of me.  I have no problem whatsoever sticking to beer and soda if that's all that's available, but I don't carry cash, and knowing other people get to have mixed drinks while I don't would leave me in a bad mood all night.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Yeah, it's really rude.  Treat all of your guests the same way.  What will happen is your WP will end up getting drinks for half the crowd.  So, they'll feel guilty and/or spend half the night waiting in line at the bar for drinks for other people.  Not good at all. 

Don't put anything in the invites about it.  If you want to spread through word of mouth that mixed drinks will be a cash bar, I suppose you can.  But, if the venue has an ATM and the sign at the bar says "Wine, Beer, soda, and juice are available compliments of the Bride and Groom", I think that's sufficient.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Yes, it's really rude to treat the WP but not the rest of your guests.

I was on the receiving end of that when I saw that DH was getting free drinks while I had to pay for mine.  I was really irritated that the couple would do that.
  • Thanks ladies. I love the honest feedback. I was at a wedding this last weekend- I was a BM and this was my first wedding where I was able to drink and the Bride did this. At first I thought it was a nice thank you for us with all the time and money we spent but then I thought it would piss off the other guests. And I had random people ask me to get them drinks since I got them free which was annoying. So I came here to see. :)
  • Yeah, buy a couple bottles of champagne to share while you're getting ready, or apply that money to adding another wine choice or beer choice, or even a signature drink to your hosted bar.

I had the same thing happen as Banana - then-FI was getting free drinks, but I wasn't.  Super duper annoying. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards