Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wedding Welcome Event Invite Wording

I am at a loss for how to word the invitations detailing a party the night before the wedding to welcome out-of-town guests. This wine/beer/appetizers event is in place of a formal rehearsal dinner, and will be an additional insert with our wedding invitations. The wedding invites themselves are not very formal.

Here's what I have so far, but I feel that it doesn't read well:
--

Wedding Welcome Event

For our out-of-town guests and close friends, we wanted to set up a special time to officially welcome you to the last name / last name wedding. Please join us for drinks and appetizers on the evening prior to the wedding at the home of the mother of the bride. 

When: June 7, 2013. 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Where: address city, state zip

If you plan to attend, please send your RSVP to -- at --. Maps and directions are available on the wedding website.

--

How can I improve this!? Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Wedding Welcome Event Invite Wording

• Options
    Leave out the first sentence and change the RSVP line to "Please RSVP to --- at ---.  Maps and directions are available on the wedding website at

You don't need to explain this invitation.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wedding-welcome-event-invite-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3091dc7a-a284-40fc-9b4b-507033a455cdPost:5f03649d-c2d7-4b73-afec-b43987de2657">Re: Wedding Welcome Event Invite Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]Leave out the first sentence and change the RSVP line to "Please RSVP to --- at ---.  Maps and directions are available on the wedding website at <a href="http://www.weddingwebsite.com."> You don't need to explain this invitation.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi Jen! Thanks for your response!</div><div>
    </div><div>By not including the first line of the invite, does it make it seem like this event is open to all guests? I know I will only be sending this to those invited to this event, but by word of mouth I wondered if it could be confusing, like "well I didn't get that invite, why can't I go" hurt feelings. Somehow I'm trying to portray that this is only for OOTers, bridal party and the people my mom requested to attend because she's hosting.. :-/</div></a>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wedding-welcome-event-invite-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3091dc7a-a284-40fc-9b4b-507033a455cdPost:cb327c83-245c-4126-ac59-d5541df7c9ca">Re: Wedding Welcome Event Invite Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Welcome Event Invite Wording : Hi Jen! Thanks for your response! By not including the first line of the invite, does it make it seem like this event is open to all guests? I know I will only be sending this to those invited to this event, but by word of mouth I wondered if it could be confusing, like "well I didn't get that invite, why can't I go" hurt feelings. Somehow I'm trying to portray that this is only for OOTers, bridal party and the people my mom requested to attend because she's hosting.. :-/
    Posted by laurenfournier[/QUOTE]

I don't think leaving it out makes it seem that the event is open to anyone but the persons the invitation is sent to.  It's just that those persons don't need an explanation of why they're receiving it.  I do agree that it's not a good idea to issue these invitations by word of mouth for the reason that you could be overheard by someone not invited who might feel hurt about that.  But if you're trying to portray this event as invitation only, then the best way to do that is just to send invitations only to those whom you are actually inviting, the same as with any other invitation.
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013

I could do an insert like this:

Please join us for pre-wedding drinks and appetizers
    Friday, June 7, 7-10PM
    At the home of Bride's Mother
    1234 Main Street
    Yourtown, PA

RSVP to name@domain.com

Maps and directions are avilable at www.weddingwebsite.com

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wedding-welcome-event-invite-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3091dc7a-a284-40fc-9b4b-507033a455cdPost:dae81298-15ae-41f6-b576-b401f41952f0">Re: Wedding Welcome Event Invite Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could do an insert like this: Please join us for pre-wedding drinks and appetizers Friday, June 7, 7-10PM At the home of Bride's Mother 1234 Main Street Yourtown, PA RSVP to name@domain.com Maps and directions are available at <a href="http://www.weddingwebsite.com" rel="nofollow">www.weddingwebsite.com</a>
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

This would be perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards