Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Help needed from Wax brides and wives! Colors?

I am getting married May 2012 at Our Lady of Guadalupe and having my reception at the Wax Museum (Musee Conti) and need decoration/color choice help!

My FI and I fell in love with the locations because of the great price, the atmosphere and of course the WONDERFUL feedback from this board. I love that the Wax offers you free use of their linens (black, royal blue or burgundy), chairs (gold or silver backed/cream or black seated) and candelabra (silver) centerpieces with mirrors to sit on. We will not have a wedding coordinator so it makes sense not to add to reception setup with custom decoration pieces since I have no idea who would even be helping with that. Here's the link to the Wax's photo gallery. Some of the pictures use the free items. 
http://www.neworleanswaxmuseum.com/photos.php

We're a smaller wedding (probably 60-100) with all of our guests from OOT (We just relocated to Baton Rouge from IL/MO). Because of this, we're thinking that our overall theme could be more laid back. We are even thinking of going without a bridal party since it would require extra travel from everyone. Thus, no need for picking colors for bridesmaids.

So to get to the point:
We have no colors!
We have no decorating sense!
We have no pictures from real weddings besides the website!

Suggestions? I'd LOVE to see pictures of your weddings if you don't mind me copying some colors/ideas. Thanks!

Re: Help needed from Wax brides and wives! Colors?

• Options
    wmh6wmh6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We got married at the Wax on June 4th and loved it!!! We loved the character of the room and didn't really do much as far as decor. My sisters(bridesmaids) wore purple dresses, and our bouquets had purple flowers. We used black linens, the gold chairs with black seats, and the candelabra centerpieces. It was perfect for us because we are more laid back and didn't want to spend much of our budget on decor. We received so many compliments on the location. Everyone loved it and talked about how they had never been to a wedding like it before. Our wedding was small with around 80 people.

Just to let you know...if you did want to use your own centerpieces or decorations, Beth (the coordinator at the Wax) will set everything up for you. We brought our guestbook, favors, cake knives/servers, and other odds and ends to the rehearsal. She had everything set up when we got there for the ceremony. She was wonderful to work with!  My husband and I had the most amazing day!

Our photographers posted a blog after our wedding if you want to check out some of the photos. I have not received my photo cd yet which has more detailed pictures.  Here is the link to the blog....

http://darkroux.com/?p=1413

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    eamcardleeamcardle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay! We were married at Jesuit Church and had our reception at the Wax Musuem in March 2010, and loved it. Like the post above, we went with the black linens and gold chairs. Looks great with the hard wood floors and light. We used their candelabras as centerpieces, which saved a lot of money (flowers weren't overly important to us). Beth was great to work with!

Our bridesmaid dresses and bouquets were purplish - J Crew spiced wine, to be exact. Went with that color because it was Spring, but I was never overly worried about having "colors." I honestly liked the color of the dress and picked flowers to match.

Here are some pictures from our photographer's blog: http://www.twirlphotography.com/blog/?p=236. I actually think some of our pictures are on the Wax Museum's site, but I could email you a LOT more from our reception, if you'd like.
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having the same wedding at OLG and the wax! 

My BMs are wearing charcoal gray and I don't think I have real "colors" like most people. i think we are going to alternate the candelabra centerpieces and floral ones in a dusty rose color. I'm not sure yet, we are doinng our floral consult thursday b/c i keep changing my mind and i want to get this off my plate.

I too am going to use the black linens and black chair covers. I recently went and they were setting up for a wedding and were putting table overlays on the tables in white or ivory which had black linens on them beth said they got them online and were $7 each! efavormart.com has them cheaper and is a great way to dress up the room. They also brought in some big hanging ferns and had some green potted plants that were left over from a previous function there. I would contact beth and see if you could come by when they are setting up for an event it helped me a lot b/c when i originally saw the venue it had one table in the middle of the room.

If you need to rent a cake stand beth said to make sure you get the correct size b/c they have had many problems with the wrong size for the cake.

if you go to http://www.michaelcaswell.com/ you can see some weddings that were there as well. at the bottom you can click on a venue.

BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We used this mermaid color, silver, and ivory for our wedding.  The mermaid color is like a seafoam.  We have some sneak peek pictures on Facebook.  If you go to Brenda Sison Photography, my pictures are under Natalie Scott's Wedding.  That's great that you are going with the Wax Museum because it is such a cool place and I hear the people there are super nice and easy to work with.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I think my FI and I may go with the black linen with the provided centerpieces! All of your pictures were great! We may get some colored votive candle holders to set on the glass mirror on the table to add some color to the room. Who knows!

Did you guys stick with the catering packages offered or go with an outside company? We really like what's offered with Benedict's Catering but have no idea how their reputation for taste and service is. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    eamcardleeamcardle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We worked with Leah at Pigeon Catering, and were very happy. I saw other good reviews for them on these boards, too.
  • Options
    wmh6wmh6 member
    edited December 2011
    We used Capdeboscq Catering in Marrero.  Food was delicious, and the guests loved it.  It's family owned, and they were so nice.  We felt like we had so much more food than what I saw in the Benedict's package in the Wax's info packet.  We had 7 hand passed hors d'oeuvres, assorted finger sandwiches/cocktail muffulettas/BLT sandwiches, carving station, 3 entrees for the buffet stations, and garlic bread.  They have tasting parties often and are worth looking into!

ETA:  Forgot to add that there is also an allowance for a cake at either Swiss or Haydel's.  We went with Haydel's, and our cakes were great!
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Benedict, but didn't go with the package offered we picked out or own menu. The food we tasted was really good. We are having roast pig stuffed with jambalaya and for dessert beignets and Irish coffee, other stuff on the buffet too, but thats the main stuff.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    wmh6wmh6 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_needed-wax-brides-wives-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:644fe785-ce4a-4af2-bf23-0eb931710141Post:a06a0ea4-f3fb-4b2a-8af7-451cae89ea21">Re: Help needed from Wax brides and wives! Colors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using Benedict, but didn't go with the package offered we picked out or own menu. The food we tasted was really good. <strong>We are having roast pig stuffed with jambalaya</strong> and for dessert beignets and Irish coffee, other stuff on the buffet too, but thats the main stuff.
    Posted by Kate504[/QUOTE]

<div>That sounds so good!!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Any Wax brides have any suggestions about covering, hiding, or minimizing the exposed air conditioning duct in the ceiling?? I love the exposed beam look, but not so crazy about that part.  I don't want to drape the entire ceiling as I have seen in the pics on their website (I think that totally changes the feel of the room).  Just curious..... TIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards