Florida-North Florida
Options

Thanks to my mother, I have to find a new reception venue

I booked my reception location about 2 weeks ago as some of you may know, at the Firefighters Hall of Jax, and put down the $250 non-refundable security deposit. I took my mom to see it tuesday, she said it was nice, then she calls me tonight and says "I've been thinking, and that place is ghetto! I don't want our guests nice cars getting broken into." I said, "Mom, you don't even live in this city, how do you know if it's in the "ghetto" or not?!" She says we HAVE to find another location, so I said she better fork over some more cash because we aren't gonna find anything better for that price. UGH, why does she have to complicate things? Anyone have any suggestions for venues that can hold 160 people?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thanks to my mother, I have to find a new reception venue

• Options
    christinalauchristinalau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Is there onsite parking at the venue? If there is, you can hire an off-duty officer. (That is what we are having at our wedding)... That might help put your Mom's mind at ease and you don't have to change venues.

• Options
    doc1026doc1026 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about the Ocean Breeze center at Mayport? I think it holds a number of people and its pretty. Also, it would be at the Naval base so cars would be safe :) Plus, I think its very reasonable.
  • Options
    LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Christina.  I am required by my reception venue to get an officer because I'm having more than 100 guests.  It's going to be about $150.
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well....maybe changing the venue will help with the dress question  :)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker image
    146 Invited image 81 Joining the celebration image 29 Are missing out image36 Not Replied image
    RSVP Date: March 15, 2011
  • Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is your mother paying? 

If not, you get the final say on your wedding venue and if that's where you want it, then that's where you should have it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Ocean Breeze, it's very reasonable and very secure (you can't get on the base without clearance).. so unless someone On base is breaking into cars, you're good.

However, that's really craptastic that your mom is making you get another venue...
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • Options
    xlox89xxlox89x member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, she is paying for the wedding. on a good note, the total for the venue and outside catering equals about the same as using a venue (such as the University Center at UNF)  that has its own catering.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you okay with that?
    146 Invited image 81 Joining the celebration image 29 Are missing out image36 Not Replied image
  • Options
    xlox89xxlox89x member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess the more I think about it, the more I am ok with it. It just really ruffled my feathers last night when she called me and told me to find a new venue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since your mom is paying, I think it's fair that she voice her opinion but hopefully you can come to a compromise.
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    xlox89xxlox89x member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thankfully she has been helping me find a new place, and she discovered the Ramada Manderin Conference Center. No fee for room rental, only $2,500 food/bev minimum, includes tables, chairs, linens, dishes, ect. Hopefully I'll like it when I go to see it next week!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    griffin64griffin64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    old st andrews church. its the jacksonville historical society. its an old church that they rent out for parties. you can bring in everything just like the firefighters club. and its way nicer and beautiful. and its pretty reasonable to rent. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards