Illinois-Chicago

Dress alterations advice

Hey ladies!I've asked this in the attire/accessories community, but I didn't get a huge response, so I thought I'd ask here.  I'm looking for some advice on a dress I like and am considering buying.
This is the dress: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Taffeta-draped-A-line-gown-T9579_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns
I'm wondering two things:1.  Is it possible to have the neckline made into a sweetheart?  The seamstress at David's Bridal said no because of the up/down pleating, but I feel like a good seamstress would be able to do something like that.  Do any Mary Catomy brides know if this is something she would be able to do (I'm hoping to work with her for my alterations)?
2.  The train is a bit plain; is it possible to add some extra beading to the train?
TIA for the thoughts and advice.
Taylor
Wedding Countdown Ticker
My food blog!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
June 2012 September Siggy Challenge

Re: Dress alterations advice

• aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not certain, but my seamstress (Cori, Stitch of Bliss) changed my dress from straps to sweetheart.

http://www.stitchofbliss.com/
  • fashionxfashionx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Changing to a sweetheart with the gathers is definitely more work than if it weren't gathered, but it is possible. They would just gather it into the new neckline shape. And I'm sure they could mimic the beading on the front and sides to add something to the train to dress it up. Your seamstress will know for sure, but those both seem like plausible alterations you can do, for sure.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you want to use Mary, email her NOW. she books super fast and you don't need to have your dress to book her. she won't start to see you until like 3 mos from your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice.  I just talked to Mary and she said she was available, so I'm super excited.  I've heard such great things about her!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My food blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 September Siggy Challenge
  • tbuteratbutera member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've know the "BEST"seamstress! Came for Italy! Many years experience! She is truley the best of the best. You will not find anyone that is better! She can do the impossiable. She is often called in to fix what other seamstresses can't do or messed up. She is utilized by top-notch bridal salons. If something can be done, she is the one. She also designs wedding gowns from scratch. She has designed formal gowns for me that include Bridesmaid, Communion, Prom, and Homecoming. She is the only one I would ever trust with my wedding dress. You can call her at 708-349-6069 ask for Michela.  You will not be dissappointed!  She is the BESTKiss 

• fluxwavefluxwave member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do NOT use Cori from Stitch of Bliss. She over charged me by $100. I called her to correct the error. She never returned my calls or emails.

I wouldn't trust someone like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards