Maine

Affordable Wedding Ceremony/Reception Venues???

Hello Mainers,
I am on the hunt for a wedding venue in Western/Southern Maine (or even New Hampshire). I am expecting anywhere between 150 and 175 guests, and would prefer a venue where the ceremony and reception could be very close to eachother. I like the resort or lodge type feel and am going to check out the resorts at Sunday River this coming weekend but I am a little weary of the prices. Does anyone have any ideas about an affordable venue that would be large enough and practical in early spring?
THANKS!

Re: Affordable Wedding Ceremony/Reception Venues???

• hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What do you consider reasonable or affordable for that many people?  Is there a price per person or total amount you have in mind to spend on the reception?  Since we all might have different ideas of what is affordable, that information might help us give you the best suggestions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Since I am just starting seriously looking I am a little unsure about what the range is for costs around the area...but would it be reasonable to think I could find a venue for under $8,000 (rental fees+food for 175)? Honestly the cheaper the better (since I am a full time medical student and I my fiance is in the process of finding us a new home), but we both understand that we want it to still be "nice" since we only plan on doing this once!
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine is getting married at the Stone Mountain Arts Center in Brownfield.  I know her guest list is around 100 people and her entire wedding (meaning everything: dress, decorations, favors, plus reception stuff) is around 8000.  I think the venue might max out around 150 people but she's been really pleased with everything so far.

http://www.stonemountainartscenter.com/ArtsCenter/functions.html

My reception will be costing me between 3000-4000 but it's not in a location that will have a lodge/resort feel.  That isn't exactly my style, so I never really researched that type of venue.
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remember considering this place, although I don't know if it can accommodate 175.  I never called them or anything, by looking at the pictures I'm not sure it can, but doesn't hurt to check.

http://www.mahoosucmountainlodge.com/gallery_lodge.html
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the ideas ladies. I think they both may be on the small side but  if my guest list ends up on the low side the stone mountain arts center was on my list. Right now I think the top three are the resorts at Sunday River (may be a little pricey), Purity Springs Resort in Madison, NH (may not have a ceremony venue), and possibly Point Sebago (but I don't know about ceremony options with it being so early in the spring). Does anyone know anything about these venues? If not any other ideas you might have would be helpful! It doesn't have to be a lodge or resort, I was just hoping for some place in a beautiful area so we can take pictures outside (weather permitting). Thanks again for the help!
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
     I know nothing about weddings there, but I'm very familiar with Purity Springs.  I grew up in that area and went to high school with the daughter of one of the Hoyts that own/run it.  I spent a lot of time there with my friend, but this was back in the early to mid-90s!  It's absolutely gorgeous there (mountains and the lake) with lots of photo ops.

How early in the spring is your wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    April 7th is the date. It was the first Saturday of the only 2 weeks I could get off from school that were not during hurricane season (for our honeymoon)!
  • edited December 2011
    You should look at Cliffside Lodge in Poland Spring. My caterer took me there when I was first looking and it was very nice! Spectacular views of the mountains and a classy lodge style indoors. There were also rooms for guests to stay in if I remember correctly. If you need a recommendation for catering I would highly recommend The Blue Elephant out of Saco. They have been so helpful with everything from food to planning. Happy planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the idea but I had looked into the Cliffside Lodge and the max is 125 which would mean slashing the guest list. Thanks for the info about a caterer though!
  • blueeyes8403blueeyes8403 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm in Central Maine looking for low cost reception sites as well. I'm planning on eloping for the wedding, but would like to have a big reception back home afterwards- It's around 120 guests as of now and would like to spend 5-6000- any one have ideas for this?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards