Wedding Woes

I got "reprimanded" at lunch

Our power is out so 6let and I met DH for lunch.  My wedding bands are too tight so they sit in a box.  DH isn't allowed to wear his at work so his are also in a box.

I got up to waddle my way to the bathroom.  Some old woman followed me in and gave me a "talking to" about bringing ANOTHER baby into an unwed situation. 

I wish I could have come up with a smart ass reply, but even now my mind is a blank.

Re: I got "reprimanded" at lunch

• ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    How many babies does she think you have?
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What the what?! 

What the hell is wrong with people??
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    WTELMF?  How did you keep yourself from punching the old hag?  You know we have your back for bail money, right?

So what did you manage to say to her?
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. I would have become unglued. Or you could have broken down and cried and said, "I don't even know which man is the FAAAATHER of this one!"

My money would be on explitives though. Lots and lots of them.

This is also the same woman who would probably tell me I need to hurry up and start having kids.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Well there was the 2 yo at the table and the very obvious one that's arriving in 2 weeks. 

Even without power and being as big as a house I was by far not the trashiest looking person in that place.  Even DH in his steel toes, ear plugs, and ashy pants wasn't the worst.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    I froze and couldn't say anything more than "um, thanks." 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. I was often on the recieving end of judgemental looks from old bitties, but noone *ever* had the gall to say anything.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

using minm's phrase (which is now a super favorite of mine) -- boot to the clam.

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I stopped wearing my rings after Christmas and never got a 'fake' because it wasn't worth it.  DH hasn't worn a wedding band in years because he lost the two I bought him.

No one has ever said anything to me and if anyone has looked at me sideways,  I haven't noticed.   If someone did, I'd likely be shocked into silence.  I'm not really confrontational though.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I run all over town with Bacon and without my rings. I take them off all the time and don't remember to put them back on - I went to PHX without them after taking them off to dye my hair before we left. This is craziness. 

This is when I pull out "Wow, you said that out loud! How embarrassing!" It came in really handy during my pregnancy, because while I never got the "OMG, you're not married!", I got plenty of "You got pg on purpose to trap him!" 

Which, really - people are amazing. They need to be shamed more often, I think. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    I love, love, love that line Bmom.  People say the most random things to me and that is such a perfect response.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking bursting into tears and saying that you won't know who the father was until after birth when teh police can run the DNA since the rape-kit was clean would be bad karma, right?
  • edited December 2011
    OMG, LOL, I'm sorry, the old lady needs to get a grip, but you guys are too funny!!!  I was watching my 6 month old cousin when I was about 20 and I had a lady do that to me at a Kohl's while I was shopping with my mom, and I just froze.  But my mom sure didn't, she went off on the lady saying you don't know anything about my daughter, I about peed myself.  :0) 
    Anniversary
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would have had to just laugh.  Like the time I was 7m pregnant with 10mo Dexter with me, and we were having brunch with Zsa and HIO and Ali. 

I had a "mimosa" (OJ + sprite) that VERY pregnant me was drinking and then I shared with baby Dexter. 

I got a VERY nasty look from across the room. HA!

• Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_got-reprimanded-lunch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:b93960e6-5c04-42ba-b951-f1a0f1d8e156Post:83f09243-92c6-467c-9ce3-f144fd0da504">Re: I got "reprimanded" at lunch</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking bursting into tears and saying that you won't know who the father was until after birth when teh police can run the DNA since the rape-kit was clean would be bad karma, right?
    Posted by GBCK[/QUOTE]

I would also be tempted to say this.

Or: It's a tumor. Are you happy?! IT'S A TUMOR!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, some people have a lot of freaking nerve!!  I so totally would have froze up too...then later I'd be completely fuming and yelling about all the stuff I should have said.  That's (unfortunately) how I roll in such situations.
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_got-reprimanded-lunch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:b93960e6-5c04-42ba-b951-f1a0f1d8e156Post:20d94df5-23be-4266-a41e-5c80762e3098">Re: I got "reprimanded" at lunch</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, some people have a lot of freaking nerve!!  I so totally would have froze up too...then later I'd be completely fuming and yelling about all the stuff I should have said.  That's (unfortunately) how I roll in such situations.
    Posted by phunluvin82[/QUOTE]

Every once in a while the universe aligns and I'm able to get out what I mean to say when I mean to say it but typically this is me as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards