Not Engaged Yet

I could use some cheering up please...

I've been having a rather crummy couple of days. Got into a car accident (no one was hurt except my wallet) on Saturday, and then today I got my first graduate school rejection letter. :( I know things could be way worse, I'm just feeling down at the moment.

I'm not looking for a pity party at all, but some funny jokes or videos that might take my mind off things would be awesome if you don't mind.

Thanks ladies. :)
Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: I could use some cheering up please...

• edited December 2011
    Hey, keep your chin up. I was passed over by graduate programs twice before getting in on my third try, and now I'm a Ph.D. candidate. If I had gotten in on the first or second shot, I never would have met my FI. :D Just keep trying and you will get where you need to be.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

May I suggest cuteoverload.com or some Tosh.0 episodes. Those seem to always put me in a better mood. Passiveagressivenotes.com is also a good site.

Sorry it's been a crappy week :(

• edited December 2011
    Oceana has a point. Everything happens for a reason. Try to focus on the positives, rather than dwelling on the negatives. That will really really help.  Second, watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlR_CQ3NPvI

You'll laugh.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, girl! Hope this helps:

http://i.imgur.com/n5rbF.gif
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. This is my third run at grad school applications, and I have yet to hear from 4 more schools, so fingers crossed for those! Trying not to feel discouraged.

I will definitely check out those sites. I have some running around to do, so this is a bit of a post and run, but thank you for your responses. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Can I ask, what are you applying for?

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_could-use-cheering-up-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4d3b2512-6504-496f-b0f0-e0cc8d89de78Post:15157fa1-c3e3-48ce-9b71-6d642727df2d">Re: I could use some cheering up please...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I ask, what are you applying for?
    Posted by oceana919[/QUOTE]

I'm applying for my Master's in Opera Performance. It's such a personal art form, and it's so subjective, that it's hard to take the rejection well - it's my voice, so it's hard not to feel like they're just rejecting me personally.

What are you a Ph.D. candidate for? (I realize that was a really awkward way to phrase that, I just wasn't sure of the proper way to ask... haha)
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    And for any Lewis Black NOT Glen Beck fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JngI1_8beoA&feature=related

tee hee.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Cheer up, buttercup.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_could-use-cheering-up-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:4d3b2512-6504-496f-b0f0-e0cc8d89de78Post:60e6c005-cda7-4f49-833b-1298f07672e0">Re: I could use some cheering up please...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I could use some cheering up please... : I'm applying for my Master's in Opera Performance. It's such a personal art form, and it's so subjective, that it's hard to take the rejection well - it's my voice, so it's hard not to feel like they're just rejecting me personally. What are you a Ph.D. candidate for? (I realize that was a really awkward way to phrase that, I just wasn't sure of the proper way to ask... haha)
    Posted by SopChick[/QUOTE]

Marine biology. My specialty is sharks and sawfish. Because I'm hardcore like that. :P

• sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry about your misfortune, but like the other ladies have said, everything happens for a reason. Something bigger and better must be headed your way! In the mean time, here is an adorable tabby!

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Apparently this week is not a good week to be a potential grad student.  *hugs*

Opera performance = way more hardcore than anything I've tried.  You rock.  :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, just bought some frozen chocolate cake to emotional eat while I watch what are likely epic videos supplied by all of you. I really appreciate the support! :)

Oceana - Marine Biology scares the crap out of me... actually, the thought of ANY biology scares me! What is your area of interest with sharks and sawfish? (aka, what do you hope to do when you're done?)

Sparkles - that cat is large... and awesome :)

• edited December 2011
    You are doing better than I am! I still have yet to take the GRE.

I got some advice from my boss/prof/mentor today about grad schools.  He said that there is a lot of rejection and told us to be prepared to be turned down by a lot of professors/programs.  He said that we need to keep trying and someone, somewhere will be able to take on a new student.  He was addressing two of his seniors who have yet to take the GRE or even search for grad schools. He is an insect systemologist, but a sage at heart :) He pretty much helps us whenever we go into freak-out mode.

You still have yet to hear back from some grad schools, good news is bound to be given by one. 

Rejection makes us stronger, everyone goes through it with grad school.  It's a tough world!
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Keep your head up SopChick! I definitely believe everything happens for a reason (I met my BF when I decided to come to AZ for grad school). 

If you need a good laugh, definitely check out Damn You Auto Correct! (clicky). They are flat-out hilarious!

PS I am so jealous of people that can sing. I'm good at a lot of things, and considered 'smart,' but I can't carry a tune to save my life. It doesn't stop me from trying though! :)

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited December 2011
    Things will always work out for the best. Just keep your priorities straight and remember your ultimate goal :)
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    edited December 2011
    Oh! SopChick = soprano chick?! Yay. I'm a singer, too. Not much opera, but I'm a fan, and my voice is definitely more toward "classic" Broadway stuff. Think Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Loewe.

Just keep trying. It's all about perseverence and being in the right place at the right time!

For a laugh, please see my recent thread about laughing so hard tears were rolling down my face!
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_could-use-cheering-up-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4d3b2512-6504-496f-b0f0-e0cc8d89de78Post:223d6f82-dd4b-4497-a6b5-851a96a2e1c4">Re: I could use some cheering up please...</a>:
    [QUOTE]And for any Lewis Black NOT Glen Beck fans: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JngI1_8beoA&feature=related" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JngI1_8beoA&feature=related</a> tee hee.
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

*like*
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    SopChick, this may sound like a dumb question, but have you talked to the schools?  I got a detailed letter from the advisor I was applying to today saying exactly why I got rejected.  That way, if you apply again/still have applications to submit, you can make your applications better :)

And I hope things are going better.  I'm a bit into Schadenfreude, so I hope the attached video also helps *hugs again*

I french with my man
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again ladies, I love the support on this board! I'm feeling better about it today. It was my last choice school because I don't particularly like the city it's in, so at least I don't have to make the decision about whether I want to live in a city that I hate!

Tiger - that's awesome, thanks! :)

Marley - indeed it does! I like musical theatre (especially the classics too) but it never seemed to sit nicely in my voice. And as I commented on your other video, that was epic... I don't think I would be able to stay in the face without reacting!

Peekaboo - I think that's where a bit of my frustration with the process is coming from. I talked to the schools the first time I applied, and have been told by outside sources in the business that the concerns they had have been fixed. However, the second time I applied they had different things to be picky about... It goes with the territory, and I will definitely contact people again even if I do get accepted somewhere, it's a valuable tool in the learning process to know where your areas of weakness lie. Hopefully I have made all the changes the other schools were looking for the third time around!
  • edited December 2011
    I know it is frustrating waiting to hear back (and getting rejected) from grad schools. I'm a PhD Candidate too, and I know our program has scaled back on the number of people they are accepting. I know with our program, they are more willing to accept people who are not looking for funding. We are down to a couple of assistantships and they are super competitive. But, they will accept people with no funding and hire them to be a part-time instructor. It doesn't pay for as many credits, but it pays for some.
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards