Wedding Woes

Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes

I got quoted $9,000 for photography today. Just the photography, not the photos. Completely reasonable. (Are they on crack?) 

Anyone else have ridiculous price quotes to make me feel better or does the cheese stand alone over here? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes

• that sounds reasonable to me.
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

sounds like a legitimate quote to me.

• If it's too much, then move along and find a photog that fits your budget.  

There are vendors out there for every price range.  Obviously, this vendor thinks their work is worth $9k.

There's more than 4 photographers in the world.
  • If they spent 20 hours on our wedding thats $450 an hour. But I doubt they'd spend more than 10. Seriously?

I've planned high profile celebrity after parties in NYC, and the photography was $200 an hour with no added cost for time after the event to do selects. And NYC is expensive

How can "up to 8 hours" of just photography (no videography) with no prints included be $9,000? Are they magical photographers who are able to turn me into a Giselle lookalike? 

I picked the wrong profession. 
  • Well, photographers don't just take a shot and leave it bare naked anymore.  Most professional photographers do a lot of photo-editing, cropping, adjusting color, lighting, etc.  You're also paying for them to lug around a lot of expensive equipment.  If their quote is that high, they should be really good at their job or they wouldn't be getting it, b/c obviously someone is paying that rate.  So, no you might not be a Giselle, but they're going to make sure you look the best you possibly can in those pictures.
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    so go to a different photographer.

i paid a third of what my sister in law paid for their photography. we went with two different photography studios. we both had different packages.

like conn said, obviously they feel their package is reasonable at $9000. maybe it isn't worth it to you, so move on.
  • ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ridiculous-vendor-price-quotes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:1e396034-4bce-4e3c-8160-4aeb8eb8bf03Post:f617af8e-b8a1-4ae6-94de-ec014a0aacf7">Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes</a>:
    [QUOTE]If they spent 20 hours on our wedding thats $450 an hour. But I doubt they'd spend more than 10. Seriously? I've planned high profile celebrity after parties in NYC, and the photography was $200 an hour with no added cost for time after the event to do selects. And NYC is expensive !  How can "up to 8 hours" of just photography (no videography) with no prints included be $9,000? Are they magical photographers who are able to turn me into a Giselle lookalike?  I picked the wrong profession. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

I think it sounds crazy- we have one of the better photographers in my area, and it's going to be under $6k for 10 hours with her, 4 hours with second shooter, all of the retouched negatives, slideshow dvd, two parent albums and our coffee table album & an e-session, family portraits and coverage of a party with negs (these last three in the UK).  Granted she cut us a good deal so she could come with us, but I still think $9k for just the photo time sounds crazy.
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ridiculous-vendor-price-quotes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1e396034-4bce-4e3c-8160-4aeb8eb8bf03Post:64f8d017-7e29-4bfd-8187-b8bdd97bba99">Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes</a>:
    [QUOTE]so go to a different photographer. i paid a third of what my sister in law paid for their photography. we went with two different photography studios. we both had different packages. like conn said, obviously they feel their package is reasonable at $9000. maybe it isn't worth it to you, so move on.
    Posted by Wzz[/QUOTE]

<div>I mean, obviously I'm going to move on, LOL. I never said, "Oh no, I can't have photography because it all costs $9k!" </div><div>
    </div><div>I plan events for a living (but in NYC and for corporate companies), so I just think it's ridiculous when vendors add "wedding" to their title and suddenly their rates more than double. I guess the argument is that you only get once and thus won't be a return customer the way a corporate client could be, but it still irks me. Obviously someone is paying them, and while I believe "you get what you pay for," I also believe that sometimes prices work the way gas prices work - it's all pretty much the same in certain areas because <em>someone</em> is good and worth that price and then all the others feel like they need to price themselves that high or someone will ask "Well why are you cheaper? Are you not as good?" </div><div>
    </div><div>It's like hair stylists. Is every haircut worth $120? No. Am I going to find a "high end" salon that charges less in NYC? Not really because people will question how good they are. Sometimes prices are a marketing tactic more so than a reflection of value or worth, unfortunately. </div><div>
    </div><div>Not saying this photographer isn't amazing - maybe they are! - but from the photos I've seen, they're just average. Just run of the mill photos. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Weddings in Northern California was already expensive to begin with. This is about what I'm paying for my photographer for 10 hours with an additional photographer, a big picture of our choice to hang in our home, a custom made photo album and DVD with the pictures. Plus this photographer is amazing so I have no issue with paying.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ridiculous-vendor-price-quotes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1e396034-4bce-4e3c-8160-4aeb8eb8bf03Post:974c4e30-7f15-4596-8880-e9926cc2bf40">Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weddings in Northern California was already expensive to begin with. This is about what I'm paying for my photographer for 10 hours with an additional photographer, a big picture of our choice to hang in our home, a custom made photo album and DVD with the pictures. Plus this photographer is amazing so I have no issue with paying.
    Posted by JordanF13[/QUOTE]

<div>Right, the photo album is included in the price, right? Photos are expensive; this I know. But $9,000 shouldn't include labor alone. </div><div>
    </div><div>What city in Northern California are you getting married?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ridiculous-vendor-price-quotes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1e396034-4bce-4e3c-8160-4aeb8eb8bf03Post:794f9654-781f-4d57-97c5-d68246ded992">Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes : I mean, obviously I'm going to move on, LOL. I never said, "Oh no, I can't have photography because it all costs $9k!"  I plan events for a living (but in NYC and for corporate companies), so<strong> I just think it's ridiculous when vendors add "wedding" to their title and suddenly their rates more than double.</strong> I guess the argument is that you only get once and thus won't be a return customer the way a corporate client could be, but it still irks me. Obviously someone is paying them, and while I believe "you get what you pay for," I also believe that sometimes prices work the way gas prices work - it's all pretty much the same in certain areas because someone  is good and worth that price and then all the others feel like they need to price themselves that high or someone will ask "Well why are you cheaper? Are you not as good?"  It's like hair stylists. Is every haircut worth $120? No. Am I going to find a "high end" salon that charges less in NYC? Not really because people will question how good they are. Sometimes prices are a marketing tactic more so than a reflection of value or worth, unfortunately.  Not saying this photographer isn't amazing - maybe they are! - but from the photos I've seen, they're just average. Just run of the mill photos. 

This!^  I completely agree with you!  People charge <strong>so much more</strong> for things involved in a wedding than they would for the exact same service at any other occasion.  I'm still trying to figure this one out.  I've actually thought about going in to vendors and calling it a "party" instead of a "wedding" to try to get a price break, LOL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I only paid $800 for my photographer. She is somewhat new to this new career, but she takes excellent photos. Even for a more experienced photographer in my area, they run around $2,000 max!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ridiculous-vendor-price-quotes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1e396034-4bce-4e3c-8160-4aeb8eb8bf03Post:13c8b4ee-15f7-40a5-bc37-3e6b2c1afed4">Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes : Right, the photo album is included in the price, right? Photos are expensive; this I know. But $9,000 shouldn't include labor alone.  What city in Northern California are you getting married?

<div>I'm in the Silicon Valley.</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.capturethelove.com" rel="nofollow">www.capturethelove.com</a></div><div>
    </div><div>Here's my photographer's website so you can take a look.</div>
  • I got a photographer that won awards from the Knot, Brides Magazine, and other various well known agencies and I only paid 3000 for engagement pictures, 8 hours on wedding day, all rights, and two parents books! So, I would have laughed that photographer OUT OF THE BUILDING!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ridiculous-vendor-price-quotes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1e396034-4bce-4e3c-8160-4aeb8eb8bf03Post:ee368100-9d14-4cd6-8a4a-61c8ff31091a">Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes : I'm in the Silicon Valley. <a href="http://www.capturethelove.com" rel="nofollow">www.capturethelove.com</a> Here's my photographer's website so you can take a look.
    Posted by JordanF13[/QUOTE]

<div>See, they seem completely reasonable!</div><div>
    </div><div>Maybe I should have specified that this photographer's prices STARTED at $9k. I didn't specify any needs and get quoted $9k. The basic package was $9k. </div><div>
    </div><div>(Also, hi from the across the bay, I'm in Marin!)</div>
  • THATS WAYYYYY TO HIGH MY VENDOR IS 800.00 AND THATS FOR 5HRS
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ridiculous-vendor-price-quotes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1e396034-4bce-4e3c-8160-4aeb8eb8bf03Post:8fa9bb13-f891-401d-815c-047589f00746">Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ridiculous Vendor Price Quotes : See, they seem completely reasonable! Maybe I should have specified that this photographer's prices STARTED at $9k. I didn't specify any needs and get quoted $9k. The basic package was $9k.  (Also, hi from the across the bay, I'm in Marin!)

<div>Hey! Yeah for starting package at 9k that is steep, even for northern california standards. If you want you can hit up my photographer. He travels, is in Florence, Italy right now, so going to Marin wouldn't be a problem. And his prices are a little high but not like what you're getting from this other photographer! Hope this helps!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards