Connecticut

"contemporary catholic" priest?

So my fiance and I don't want to have a long ceremony, and we only have the Greenmanville Church (Mystic Seaport) for 30 minutes. We don't want to use a JP because we are catholic and want to have some sort of a priest do it for us. I know there are "contemporary catholic" priests that you can hire, I was just wondering if anyone in the Connecticut area has used anyone like this, or are going to use one that will come to your location? I have found a few but just wanted any feedback on specific people. We're not looking for a full mass, just for it to have some sort of Catholic twist to it.

Thanks!
mikeandtine.com Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: "contemporary catholic" priest?

• edited December 2011
    You can always do a ceremony without the mass and it will only be about 30-35 minutes.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm actually in a similar boat. My fiance is Armenian and wants an Armenian ceremony but I'd like a catholic presence. If anyone knows of any priests that would be open to doing a combo ceremony let me know. Obviously it couldn't be in a church...
    Anniversary
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking for the ceremony to be recognized by the Catholic Church or are you looking for the religious presence?

There are 'rent a priests' out there but if you're looking to have the ceremony recognized by the church then it needs to be in the Church or you need to apply for dispensation from the Bishop.
  • edited December 2011
    OP, I would change your SN and take out your email address.  There are some crazies out there.  Internet safety comes first!
  • edited December 2011
    I know I tried but you can't change your user name! 
    mikeandtine.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Not to overtake this thread but I'm just looking for a catholic presence more than it to be recognized by the church. Any recommendaitons on where to find a respectable "rent a priest?"

Anniversary
  • kmacisaackmacisaac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I stumbled across this website yesterday...
    http://www.franciscanweddings.org/index.html

I went to Catholic school my whole life, and felt just the slighest bit weird about not getting married in a church... but if I can get one of these friars, I'll be really happy.
  • edited December 2011
    This is an independent catholic church in New Haven and I do believe the priests will travel. http://www.mysaintjoes.org
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards