Hawaii

Good Hair-do Choice for Weather in Hawaii???

I am getting married on Kapalua Beach at sunset on October 17th in Maui, Hawaii. I am all set with the plans except for one detail.....The hair! I have long hair that I love to wear half pulled up and half down. I do get hot in extreme heat or in really high humidty because my hair is chocolate brown and thick. I am looking for ideas from people who live in HI or have traveled there. How should i plan for may hair???? I am stressing and need help. Some people tell me its really humid, some poeple says its not that bad and with the ocean breeze I should be fine with my hair down. I am from the midwest and today its 80 degrees with 78 dewpoint and I find this weather uncomfortable. I am just wondering what to expect on the islands so I am not a miserable sweaty mess on my wedding day. Any advice or suggestions are sooooooooo welcome.

Re: Good Hair-do Choice for Weather in Hawaii???

• J JoJ Jo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    'm from the midwest too so i know how you feel about the humidity! I'm more worried about there being a strong breeze. I don't want to deal with my hair flying all around, especially during pictures, I think i'm going to do my hair like I did in the trial run below. off to the side in loose curls with flowers! luckily my sis is my hairstylist so we can improvise as needed and I won't be worried about how it will end up.
  • edited December 2011
    Kapalua does get pretty windy... gorgeous beach though! I'm generally a hot sweaty mess, and I have fine hair, so I had to have an updo... although, I chose to do a low updo. One of my BMs did a gorgeous half-up look, and she said it was fine... although, she also has fine hair. There's pics in my bio, I think.
  • edited December 2011
    I opted for an updo.  It will be cooler since it keeps your hair off your neck, but like J Jo mentioned, my biggest reason was so I wouldn't have to deal with my hair flying all around during pictures.  For most updo's, once it's done you don't have to worry about it.  I did a down do for my TTD pictures and I was constantly having to fix my hair or wait for wind to die down.

My MOH actually had her hair very similar to J Jo's, and I think it worked out fine.  I wasn't the one who had to deal with it, though, so I'm not sure...

Also, you can expect the weather to be in the 80s...70s is considered cold here.  There are occasionally cool days, but I would plan for it being hot!
  • edited December 2011
    September and October tend to me the hottest months here in Hawai'i.  I live on Maui and everyday I generally start out with my hair down, but I've usually got it pulled up by lunch time.  There are typically really good trade wind breezes, but when I'm outside, I typically still opt to wear my hair up because of the heat and humitity.  I'm getting married in June 2011, and I plan on wearing mine up because I don't want it on my neck adding to the heat. However you decide to wear it, it will be beautiful! :)  
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have so many issues with heat, but I absolutely hate my hair blowing in my face when Im trying to take pictures.  So, I wore mine in a low updo and was very happy.  My sister had hers half up and like it - but she has curly hair and I think that helps with the blowing around issues.
  • edited December 2011
    i live on Oahu and I think that October is generally cooler than the summer (okay, still 80 but I can't wait for that!) We are getting married on 10-9-10 and I am planning on wearing my hair half up. The humidity actually helps my hair with the curl, I just need something to keep it from getting a bit frizzie. Hope that helps!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I'm doing half-up half-down.  I like my hair down, even tho it's hot, but obviously I don't want it in my fair, so I figured this was a good compromise.  My hairdresser professes to be an expert in doing hair that will hold in the wind, so I'm gonna hope for the best.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    I went with all up and I'm so glad I did.  I did a half updo for the night before and by the end of the night it was just straggly and messy.  My hair is really finicky and the last thing I wanted to do was worry about it on my wedding day.  I think maybe there's a pic in my bio, I can't remember since I haven't done much updating since the wedding!
    image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Sorry, no pic in the bio, but here's some shots on my photog's blog:
    http://jennabethphoto.blogspot.com/2010/07/liz-and-memes-maui-wedding.html

image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to live in Wisconsin and I find if much more humid in the Midwest than I have ever experienced in Maui.  Maui is humid, but not the kind of thick humidity that you get there.  The wind is more of a concern for me, which is why I am opting for an updo.  We did photos on the beach last year and I hated my hair flying in my face and all over. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your help. AKwinterbride....I appreciate the advice coming from someone who knows about our nasty humidity in WI and giving me a little comparison to what its like in Maui. Everyone's advice and pictures have been really helpful and I think I know what I will do. You all have helped me more then you will know. This has been a big stress for me and I feel like I can move forward now with an idea of how I want my hair to look, without having to worry about looking like  a mess on my big day. Thank you everyone!!!
  • edited December 2011
    nahokulele,
    Beautiful pictures from your wedding website. And your dress is gorgeous!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards