Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How long should I hire the photog for?

Our ceremony will start at 7:30 and the reception will follow until about 12. I want to do all the pictures without FI before the ceremony so the only ones we have to take after are the ones with FI and myself. 

I'd also like a few getting ready pictures, although I've heard that getting ready really doesn't take that long. 

Would 6 hours be enough or should I add more?

Re: How long should I hire the photog for?

• edited December 2011
    Not sure if this will help you out or not but our ceremony starts at 5 and our reception goes until about 10/10:30 and we hired our photographer for 8 hours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ceeceed80ceeceed80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    a big question to ask yourself is... do you need to have your photographer there until the very end of the reception? usually about an hour before hand, a lot of guests have left and frankly, how many photos do you need of people dancing? 

we have our photographer for 7 hours. she is only staying at the reception about 1.5-2 hours and then leaving. we will do all of our important stuff during that time, cake cutting, dances, speeches, etc. 

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted my photographer to capture everything from beginning to end so I hired her for 8 hours.  If you want to do pictures beforehand, you'll need to allow time for that--and it's not like you can take pictures right up until 7:30, you'll need to probably stop by 7.  So they could come from 6-12 but that doesn't allow any getting ready pics.   Ask your photographer how much time he/she suggests for pictures beforehand and that will help you decide. 

Most of my guests were still there at the end and we did an exit so I wanted that captured (that is very popular where I live).  If that isn't important to you, then you could possibly shave time off there.
  • drphotodrphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The shortest amount of coverage we have ever done is 4 hours and that left out significant portions of the wedding.  8 Hours is usually ample coverage.  If you need to cut the coverage below 8 hours, start by moving the first dance & father daughter dance earlier in the evening, move the cake up and then delete coverage of the garter/bouquet toss, then cut down the formal photos, then the getting ready photos.  If you have to cut more than that, have someone from craigslist shoot <sort of kidding>. 

All the best,
    Corey Schwartz
    www.desertridgephotography.com
  • edited December 2011
    My sister does photography as well (she did my e-pics), so I'm thinking about asking her to do our exit pictures so our photographer won't have to stay for the whole reception. That way, we won't have 5 hours worth of pictures of us dancing, she can do the cake cutting and stuff and leave. 

Thank you guys for your input!
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_long-should-hire-photog?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:3b4ef8d3-8b16-4d4b-9290-f29d997389fbPost:03925599-16fb-4762-875e-ceac09cf2224">Re: How long should I hire the photog for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]so I'm thinking about asking her to do our exit pictures so
    Posted by aleighk1[/QUOTE]

What are "exit" pictures?  Our photographer doesn't work by the hour, he just does the "full day".  But he did say that he doesn't stay until the reception fully ends; he leaves after the cake, bouquet toss, etc.  We're fine with that, but now I"m curious as to whether or not I'm missing something.
  • edited December 2011
    Click here

Sometimes people will leave the reception before their guests and have a big exit, where the guests line up outside and watch the bride and groom go to their car. Sometimes their guests have sparklers or bubbles or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards