Honeymoon Discussions

Honeyfund

Anyone heard anything (good or bad) about honeyfund.com? Thats all my fiance talks about! Tongue out

Re: Honeyfund

• edited November 2010
    I started off pro HM registry and even considered using one, until my friend who got married last month honeyfund.  She swears she got lots of compliments on the idea, but I was on her registry the morning of the wedding and it looked like only about 5 of her guests used it.  This is a good friend of mine, but she is notoriously cheap, and her registry seemed to reflect that.  Something that made her registry look a bit tacky to me is that they were going on a cruise, but registered for "A romantic dinner for two".    I've never been on a cruise, but I am pretty sure all the meals are included.   I was planning on giving her money anyway, so I just printed off one of the certificates from honeyfund and put it in my card.   I really don't see the point. 

If you choose to use a HM registry, here are a few suggestions that I've seen on other boards.

- Definitely use a site like Honeyfund where there are no charges.  Also have a small traditional registry.

- You know your guests better than we do.  Take a few minutes to think about their reactions, especially if you are going to have older guests.  Discuss the idea with the parents first to see how they react.

- Don't register for flights or hotel rooms.  If you are going on your honeymoon right after your wedding, you have to prepay for these anyway, so the guest really isn't giving you that as the gift.  It's like you are asking them to reimburse you.  Plan a HM that you can afford without the registry.

- If you register for an excursion, include a picture in your thank you note.
    We ran off to Vegas and got married!
  • I am using  honeyfund -but don't have reviews of it yet.

It is perfectly accepted in our circle, especially since fiance and I have dated almost 8 years and lived together almost 3 by the wedding and don't need many upgrades because we bought all new when we bought the house.

I am doing a small bed bath and beyond registry for those that prefer a traditional gift as well.
  • In my opinion, HM registries are tacky, however, if you're going to do one I have heard good things about honeyfund from a few friends who have used it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do not think they are tacky. I have lived with FI for 2.5 years now and don't need the typical gifts that one would purchase for newlyweds.

That being said, I have two regular registries and the third is with Traveler's Joy. I do not expect anyone but close family to purchase anything off my HM registry but I know that my family would rather gift us an excursion than a toaster. We have already purchased and paid for our basic HM, less the excursions. If any of them get purchased, my plan is to create a personalized thank you card with a picture of us doing whatever it is that my guests purchased for us.

The best thing I like about the HM registry is that I was able to create an option for guests to contribute a small donation to cancer research in memory of my late mother. This tops my list of items and helps me to involve my mother in several aspects of my wedding.

You know your guests, plan your registries accordingly, regardless of what might be "proper"!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Happily Married Since December 18th, 2010!!
  • strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:b669e021-e15a-49a3-9026-51b59ac4b549">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeyfund : I dont think its fair in the least that you are comparing having your guests paying for your honeymoon to having your parents pay for your wedding! Just my opinion but its still very common for parents to pay for weddings! I agree that honeymoon registries are tacky but dont compare them to parents paying for the wedding!
    Posted by bridetobemo[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you feel that way, but a majority of today's brides aren't moving out of daddy's house into her husband's house so the expectation that the bride's parents should pay for the wedding is antiquated IMO.  If a couple is financially able to be living on their own or with each other, then surely they can afford to pay for their own wedding (a wedding doesn't have to be a pretty princess day contrary to popular belief).  It's one thing if the parents OFFER to pay, because many still will, but to EXPECT or REQUIRE them to do so is rude.
  • The thing that is tacky about honeymoon registries is that you register/ask for things (dinner on the beach, or snorkel excursion), a guest buys you that thing, you don't recieve said thing - just cash instead.  I find that decietful. 

That would be like registering for traditional items and then returning them all for cash to do with as you pleased.  What was the point?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • After doing research on various honeymoon registries, honeyfund is by far the best value.  I would also suggest upgrading to a premium membership, this way your guests aren't subjected to google ads.

I know honeymoon registries aren't popular on these boards, but you really need to do what works best for you!  In my case, I made a regular registry at Macy's as well - for any guests who would not want to go through a honeymoon registry.

A way to personalize the honeymoon registry is to do your research!  Let the guests see your entire itinerary.  When grandma purchases a romantic dinner for two in Libson - have someone there take your picture!  I would be thrilled to see a thank you card with a picture from the honeymoon that I helped contribute to.

Best of luck!

• I think HM registries are dishonest. It's like your trying to trick your guests into giving you money. People are not dumb, they know money is a good gift, you don't have to trick them.

However, I have heard that some hotels will have a HM registry where the guests will actually purchase the excursion (dinner or spa or whatever) through the hotel website. I think this would be the only possible way I would consider it. Otherwise it is so deceitful.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:6df775c6-1a45-4dc4-8c1c-b7bf114f297d">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think HM registries are dishonest. It's like your trying to trick your guests into giving you money. People are not dumb, they know money is a good gift, you don't have to trick them. However, I have heard that some hotels will have a HM registry where the guests will actually purchase the excursion (dinner or spa or whatever) through the hotel website. I think this would be the only possible way I would consider it. Otherwise it is so deceitful.
    Posted by megandjay[/QUOTE]

Agree, if people were buying an actual gift, then maybe it would be OK. I don't think it is right to mislead guests into thinking they are buying something only for the couple to receive a check to do with what they want.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:3381d113-dcc5-421a-a2b4-71b3446de5a1">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeyfund : Agree, if people were buying an actual gift, then maybe it would be OK. I don't think it is right to mislead guests into thinking they are buying something only for the couple to receive a check to do with what they want.
    Posted by MNVegas[/QUOTE]

how is it "dishonest" if you use the $$ for what the gift giver actually intended?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:ff3d5866-7c23-4804-82e9-7efcbe6be4a8">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeyfund : how is it "dishonest" if you use the $$ for what the gift giver actually intended?
    Posted by reese511[/QUOTE]

Because many people do not. I have seen a lot of posts where people just want to take the money and run. It is like people who set up a traditional registry and then return their gifts so they can put cash in their pocket and YES people do this a lot.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:33bfece8-9942-499e-820a-dca4ba938f16">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeyfund : fine.  but dont you think its unfair to ASSUME that anyone that has a HM registry will do that?  have some faith in mankind.
    Posted by reese511[/QUOTE]

Have some faith in your guests! Do you really think they are so stupid that they don't already know that cash gifts are appreciated?!?  Many guests give cash gifts, so just use that money for your HM extras.  Do you really have to ASK people for cash?
  • do you really have to ask people for gifts?  same thing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:f240effa-d2d7-4dfe-b28b-230c12dd3896">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeyfund : Have some faith in your guests! Do you really think they are so stupid that they don't already know that cash gifts are appreciated?!?  Many guests give cash gifts, so just use that money for your HM extras.  Do you really have to ASK people for cash?
    Posted by MNVegas[/QUOTE]

with that mentality, why register for anything at all??  just get money then buy all the home stuff you want.  its the SAME THING!
    oh...and since you asked, yes...my guests are ALL very stupid.  all of them.
  • Not tacky at all.

I see it as a modern registry for the modern bride. My FI and I live together in a house we bought together. We have everything we need. I wish a furniture registry existed. We would really like a matching bedroom set.

But since we won't be getting a HM (my folks are paying for half the wedding, we pay the other half and his folks are poor as church mice) HoneyFund is perfect.

My family and friends are all for it. His family? Not sure but honestly don't care. Take it or leave it.

Anyways, HF from what I've seen is the highest rated. It's what we are going with!

• I am with Kimberly on this one, I think if you are registering ANYWHERE, it is the same idea.  I don't get why it is ok to ask for a 300.00 pot and pan set, but not ok to ask for a spa treatment on your honeymoon?  

I am using a similar site, but it is a better mix for us of actual items and honeymoon perks- we can register for wishes like paint and cabinets (contributions towards) for our house overhaul, but also a couple honeymoon items like a snorkeling trip and night out at restaurant.  People are basically giving you money in some way, be it a cash contribution, a gift or a "registry" like the above.  If you are interested, we are using www.uponourstar.com - my sister used it and she loved that she could cash out at the end, so we gave it a try too.  Good luck!  
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:78802546-0ebc-4d25-839a-384fa397e879">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am with Kimberly on this one, I think if you are registering ANYWHERE, it is the same idea.  I don't get why it is ok to ask for a 300.00 pot and pan set, but not ok to ask for a spa treatment on your honeymoon?   I am using a similar site, but it is a better mix for us of actual items and honeymoon perks- we can register for wishes like paint and cabinets (contributions towards) for our house overhaul, but also a couple honeymoon items like a snorkeling trip and night out at restaurant.  People are basically giving you money in some way, be it a cash contribution, a gift or a "registry" like the above.  If you are interested, we are using <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.uponourstar.com">www.uponourstar.com</a> - <strong>my sister used it and she loved that she could cash out at the end, so we gave it a try too</strong>.  Good luck!  
    Posted by NattyGal31[/QUOTE]

Dishonest and greedy, thank you for proving my point.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:ce082edf-50fc-4486-98d6-81af04b6c1e3">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeyfund : Dishonest and greedy, thank you for proving my point.
    Posted by megandjay[/QUOTE]

Yup, this is exactly what I was pointing out also. People take the money and run!
  • I also know a lot of peoplethat register at certain stores because they can get cash for returns .... I dont think anyone should assume the HM registry will be used incorrectly because the same arguement can be made for a traditional registry.
  • Honeyfund is the best registry out there for Honeymoon Registries as it does not charge your guests a fee, unless your guest chooses to pay using paypal, and then paypal has a fee of their own which I believe is around 2.5%. HTH! =]
  • Thanks for all your help...??? Haha!
  • how is asking for cash greedy???  I think asking for any presents at all is greedy!!  i would honestly love to see your registry!  haha!  Asking for cash is practical. The idea of giving a gift is to enrich the lives of the people you gave it to...no?  so why do you care???  Im sorry you have been duped by the media and corporate america to believe that "things" make your life better!  just keep watching your tv and keep buying what they are selling.  its good for the economy. 
  • PS - registering (HoneyFund, BBB, Macys, or otherwise) does not = ASKING for gifts/money.
    its saying - "hey...if you want to get me a gift, spend your money here" - the whole purpose of registering is to NOT get things you dont want/need.

when someone is invited to a wedding or a shower or an e-party, etc - it is their choice to bring a gift.  they are not ASKED to bring a gift.
  • Oh man I love how upset people get!  Hilarious!!

• LOL! OMGoodness! Do whatever your little heart desires and is good for you. You know the circle around you best. Good Luck to you and congrats!
  • megandjay, really hope you don't have a registry period.

Seriously.

It all boils down to money in the end. You could easily take back a mixmaster and get cash in return. My friend was recently married and did something similar with various items she got double of. I made it easy and wrote her a $100 check. There isn't a darn thing wrong with giving cash straight or putting it towards a registry.

• jamierobin...i def see your point.  Honeymoon registries do give the illusion that you are buying something for the honeymoon, and yes, dishonest people may use that money for other things, but not everyone does.  Its cute...thats why people do it.  It takes a whole lot more thought than just asking for straight up cash.  There is effort put into it.  I guess I just get sort of tired of all these traditions and people telling me if I do things a little bit differently then that is "tacky" or "greedy" or just plain rude.  To be honest I have 4 sets of sheets that match, and pots and pans, and silverware, and dishes...all gifts from birthdays and such.  I have been living on my own for 15 years!   I just dont want to register for "things" because I already have too much stuff! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeyfund-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:59f1824d-e359-4896-beb2-656816de3b20Post:81bbffed-2e62-45a1-99b8-131d9b87c98f">Re: Honeyfund</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, the ORIGINAL reason for a registry was to avoid your guests any embarrassment.  It kept (and theoretically still keeps) 3 guests from all buying you a blender.  The suggestion portion is nice too, but it was created for the comfort of the guest (so they could see what others had already bought you) not so that the couple could specify what they wanted as gifts.  That was just a byproduct.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

not entirely true...
    its to let guests know what you want AND to avoid multiples of 1 item....
    <a href="http://www.wikiweddings.org/Bridal_Registry_and_Gifts">http://www.wikiweddings.org/Bridal_Registry_and_Gifts</a>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards