Catholic Weddings

Sharing a personal story... (NWR)

Some of you know that my father was hospitalized in February. He had broken his femur and needed surgery. After the surgery (which went better than expected), he seemed to be fighting some sort of virus or infection, causing fevers. With his previous heart conditions, his body was struggling to handle everything. He was intubated, and knocked out with sedation.

A week after surgery, the doctor brought us in a private room and told us that my father was experiencing multi-organ breakdown. His heart was too weak to support his organs, his kidneys were beginning to fail. He told us that if he were healthy otherwise, it would still be difficult to overcome these problems and he had major health concerns. So, the window was small and it was closing fast. He told us to prepare to say goodbye.

Obviously we were in shock. I mean - he broke his femur and the femur is fine now. How could all of this be spiraling out of control over a broken femur? We wept, we prayed, we decided not to give up hope. We trusted in God. My husband called a priest to do an annointing. When the priest arrived, we went into the ICU as a family. My father's hands and feet were frozen. His heart was focusing all of its energy on supporting the failing organs, which meant his extremities would be ignored.

The priest anointed his eyes, ears, hands, feet. It was both devastating and extremely comforting to witness. It was impossible to know whether my father could even hear any of it. We continued to pray. Even my family members that have practically left the faith were praying.

Within an hour after the priest left, my fathers hands and feet were warm. The next few days, his kidneys steadily improved. The doctor told my husband he was utterly shocked. He could not believe what he was seeing. It was extremely rare to see this kind of turnaround in a younger healthier person, much less an older person with many ailments.

A week later, my father was moved from ICU. This past Friday, after 81 days in the hospital, he left. Standing stronger than he ever had before. A complete testament to faith and to His love.

Re: Sharing a personal story... (NWR)

• oh my goodness, Riss! I had no idea! That's amazing! PTL!
    Anniversary
  • Wow! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm so glad your father is doing btter and what a testament to the power of prayer!
  • Praise God! Amazing. Thank you for sharing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Riss,
    You have absolutely no idea how meaningful that is for my family right now.  I hope you won't mind if I copy this and forward it to my mother (who needs to see it).
    Anniversary

• What an awesome story, thanks for sharing! 

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_sharing-a-personal-story-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b7564f3b-7061-4dab-8245-a85660bc54eePost:619488e9-1b24-4d71-a752-941f69aa523f">Re: Sharing a personal story... (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Riss, You have absolutely no idea how meaningful that is for my family right now.  I hope you won't mind if I copy this and forward it to my mother (who needs to see it).
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Please do! It was life-changing for all of us. We went from realizing that he'll never "wake up" and we'll never hear his voice again... to skeptically accepting his "progress", while being prepared for more devastating news... and then finally to "Can this really be happening? He's going to make it? He's going to make it!".

I'm not sure why, but even when it was happening - he was getting warmer, kideys were improving, we were in denial. In those moments we were so afraid to believe because of the price of the possible grief to come. It was only when we looked back that we could believe in what had happened.
  • That is so amazing... God is good!  Thank you for sharing, Riss!
  • What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Such a beautiful story!  Thank you so much for sharing.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's amazing, Riss!  I'm so happy for you and your family!  Thanks be to God!

SaveSave
  • Wow! What a great story! Thanks for sharing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's an amazing story Riss.  Thank you for sharing. I am glad your father is getting well again! 
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Thanks for sharing the full story. Praise and thanks be to God.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much for sharing this! What an inpiring story and a reminder of how good God truly is. Praise God! I'm so happy for your family. I will pray for continued healing for your father, Riss!
  • Glory and praise to our God!

Riss, my heart goes out to your family, having suffered something so terrible. I thank God for the miracle He gave you.  God bless your family and especially your Dad!
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards