Wedding Party

How to ask your bridesmaid and maid of honor

Trying to think how to ask my maid of honor and brides maids. I wanted to do something different and special the maid of honor has been my best friend since we were 12 and now we are 28!! Any suggestions are welcomed

Re: How to ask your bridesmaid and maid of honor

• saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I just asked them. "Hey, I'd really like it if you'd be my MOH." I didn't see a need to do something big and special, since one MOH has been my best friend since we were infants (we're only two weeks apart) and the other MOH has been like a sister since we meet in the dorms. 

Honestly, I'd maybe just take them out to dinner or for drinks or something and talk. It will be special because the request is special, it doesn't need to turn into a huge production. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just asking them is special in itself.   I'm in the camp of not understanding why brides make it such a big deal though.  
  • Like PPs said, I would just ask them.  I had to ask half of my BMs over the phone because they live so far away. This includes the BM I have been friends with since I was three.  I don't think a big to-do is necessary.
  • I agree, just ask them.  Making a big production out of it makes it less personal.  Just ask them in person or over the phone.  Include something about how you couldn't imagine taking such an important step without them standing next to you.
  • Yeah, just ask them.  It's not the big deal you think it is.  You're just asking them to stand up for you for a couple of hours, that's all.  It's not a job. 
  • Because of how my friends and I act and how close we are, I think what I said was, "I hope you know you're a bridesmaid!" 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-to-ask-your-bridesmaid-and-maid-of-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:65c816f7-daab-4423-b9c8-206228c3af7bPost:9f14d12a-76c1-4543-85d9-56444c0b3d78">Re: How to ask your bridesmaid and maid of honor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Because of how my friends and I act and how close we are, I think what I said was, "I hope you know you're a bridesmaid!" 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  I don't think I even actually asked, it was just understood.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I can understand why some brides  ask their friends over the phone but I decided to make something for them. They know how much I love to be creative with crafts, baking, and cooking and if they lived nearby, they would have had a fancy dinner complete with warm brownies and wine. But because three out of four live so far away, I wanted to make them something instead showing them how much they mean to me, how much I love them, and how much it would mean to me to have them stand by my side. I still wrote a letter to them, expressing how much they mean to me and how much it would mean to me to have them by my side. Writing a letter or a card would mean just as much to them, sending them a box of chocolates with a letter or card, flowers... how ever you want to ask them... :D 
  • I have been thinking about this same thing and I think it is a very nice gesture to ask them in a special way since they are so important to you. I have thought of sending a bottle of champagne or wine with a personalized label asking each of them, or since I have 2 that are pregnant right now I thought i might send a cookie with a forsting message on it. I know they are my friends and dont expect anything elaborate or formal but I want to do something so they all know just how special they are to me.
  • I bought my sister a lavender and silver (my colors) gemstone ring and asked her in front of my family. She already knew she was going to be my maid of honor but it was still really fun and special. I'll have to ask my BMs over the phone because they live across the country. Most of them already know but I still want to officially ask!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards