Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What is your scripture reading, and why?

Just taking a survey of people's scripture readings. What did you choose and why?

I have found it tricky to choose. First, it has been hard to find one that really speaks to me (and that isn't ripped wildly out of context for wedding use.) Secondly, we are singing the hymn "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" and need something that is somewhat in the same tone.

So far my favorite is Isaiah 55:10-13
"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there until they have watered the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and succeed in the thing for which I sent it. For you shall go out in joy, and be led back in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall burst into song, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress; instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle; and it shall be to the Lord for a memorial, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off."
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What is your scripture reading, and why?

• edited April 2011
    We're using Phillipians 2:1-11 and Ephesians 5:22-33.   We chose the Phillipians verse because it was used in one of our early pre-marital devotions and it spoke to both of us about servitude, and the verse from Ephesians mostly because it is traditional for weddings without being out of context. 

Phillipians 2:1-11
    Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.  In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:  Who, being in very natureGod, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very natureof a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Ephesians 5:21-33

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.  Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”  This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
  • We haven't picked what our readings yet. Those are all so beautiful. I am wondering, where at in the ceremony do the readings go...begining? After vows? Before kiss? We are going to do our unity candle afterwards at our indoor reception (outdoor wedding) so maybe in place of that during the ceremony...
  • Thank you sooo much!!
  • We used 1 Corinthians 13 and Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 in our wedding. 

1 Corinthians 13 - because I really like how it talks about the characteristics of love

Ecclesiastes 4 - because it talks about the strength of a partnership and talks about how 3 strands are not easily broken.  My sister read the scripture and then talked about our desire to have Christ's presence in our home and that with Him as the leader of our marriage, it will be stronger.
  • FI and I have briefly talked about this one. He's leaning towards Joshua 24:15 -- "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  Not sure how we're gonna put that in, but I'll keep you posted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards