May 2013 Weddings

good news and bad news ...

As you ladies know, FI is graduating next week and he'll be coming home for good! Literally just a couple of weeks ago we were talking about how when he comes home he doesn't have a job and it'll be stressful etc ... well let's fast forward to this week

Monday morning he gets a call from a job he applied to in October they talk to him about the conditions and asks if there ok, he says yes.

Today he had the phone interview.

It's sounds like a great job especially with someone who will have just graduated. For now they told him they would call him in a few weeks if they like him for a physical interview. Fi is smart, vert eloquent and has a lot to offer. Besides all that his military background and past internships really make him a valuable candidate. 

All that is the good news!

Now onto the bad, if he gets it, we postpone our honeymoon, it looks as though it wouldnt be starting until Feb or March timeframe give or take, and how can you ask your new employer for 2 weeks off 2 months later. le sigh ... it also requires him to live in the city limits which is about 45 south of me, I know not that big of deal but I absolutely positively HATE that city he's told he would have to relocate too.

Other side is we are considering doing it together as in I would just move in with him if he gets the job but then I'm sad because that means Dad will be alone .... it eats me up to think my dad will be alone when I move out, I know he's a grown man and managed without me for almost 30 yrs lol but I have amazing relationship with my dad and living 45 min away saddens me

If you read my book thanks! I just have to wait and see how everything pans out. Not much I can do. Oh and I recently learned I'm getting a raise at work woot woot ... but I'm still the cheapest paid employee even with my raise fail lol

Re: good news and bad news ...

• Congrats on your FI graduating and your raise !!! Yay ;)

Honeymoom does suck but he will have a job !!! We will have to wait for ours until FI gets a job and I prefer to go a few months after anyways.  I know what you feel about your dad ;( I feel the same with my mom and I just can't imagine myself not leaving in the house anymore.  
  • Just remember it's not forever! This job may be a steeping stone to something else or it may be that something better is waiting! Stick together and make it an adventure. It still sucks, but I really hope every thing works out well for you!
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy photo invitessiggy_zpscfc27989.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I know a girl that was getting married and got a job about 4 months before and she told the employed straight out in the interview about it and they allowed her to have the time off. He could always just mention and see what happens.

With the moving thing that totally sucks but I'm sure it will be ok and 45 minutes is not too bad.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge
    Cake
    my read shelf:
    Becky's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm trying to see positive side for him but I was sooo looking forward going away for 10 days ... Well know by mid Feb that's latest we can cancel the cruise with refund since its technically booked. Although they told him could take 6 months for hiring process which would put us in June we could do honeymoon that way but I don't think will take that long for him his military experience it will push it. Im such a pity party lol
  • Sorry to hear about the honeymoon.  When my parents got married, my mom had just started a new job and they didn't give her any time off for a honeymoon.  They were married on a Saturday morning and stayed that night in a nice resort.  She was back to work on Monday and a year later they took a two week "honeymoon" to Hong Kong!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm sorry to hear about your honeymoon, but congratulations on your fiance most likely getting a great job! If it makes you feel any better, I'm not even sure when we are taking a honeymoon. Right now, I just hope we have enough money for the wedding!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm an HR Manager and I've had people ask for 2 weeks off for a wedding, family reunion, planned vacation, etc. many times when they're hired. It's often not a problem, but most times they have to take the time unpaid. I would wait until the verbal offer is made and he's learning about salary/benefits...it's the best time to negotiate. 

We're also up in the air about honeymoon because we're a military family...we can't plan much this far out! :)
    gettin' hitched 05.04.13
  • In Response to Re:good news and bad news ...:[QUOTE]I'm an HR Manager and I've had people ask for 2 weeks off for a wedding, family reunion, planned vacation, etc. many times when they're hired. It's often not a problem, but most times they have to take the time unpaid. I would wait until the verbal offer is made and he's learning about salary/benefits...it's the best time to negotiate.nbsp;We're also up in the air about honeymoon because we're a military family...we can't plan much this far out! : Posted by carpenters3[/QUOTE]

Carpenters3 my Fi was Air Force 5 yrs reserve, activated 6 months at a time twice I know active duty is more but I have so much respect for military and there families, please say thank you to your Fi for us. The issue is we can canCel what is booked of honeymoon an get full refund by feb 3 so our plan is to wait till end of jan if he gets another interview by then well be canceling our cruise if he doesn't well flip a coin, past feb 4 and we loose our deposit. The other side of the coin here is we were told if things progress it would be 3 to 6 months before he starts. I cannot see a government job saying sure two weeks vacation when he should still be training is ok, I have heard of people doing it but thinking if things go well were just going to postpone it. Well take weekend getaway over memorial weekend and save up for bigger honeymoon following year if anything. I so want Hawaii lol I hope your able to plan something soon!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_good-news-and-bad-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:05e32beb-22af-4b65-8fed-d8493e3d2108Post:66c9d28e-e5ec-4e76-9ff0-70e547e93990">Re:good news and bad news...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:good news and bad news ...: Carpenters3 my Fi was Air Force 5 yrs reserve, activated 6 months at a time twice I know active duty is more but I have so much respect for military and there families, please say thank you to your Fi for us. The issue is we can canCel what is booked of honeymoon an get full refund by feb 3 so our plan is to wait till end of jan if he gets another interview by then well be canceling our cruise if he doesn't well flip a coin, past feb 4 and we loose our deposit. The other side of the coin here is we were told if things progress it would be 3 to 6 months before he starts. I cannot see a government job saying sure two weeks vacation when he should still be training is ok, I have heard of people doing it but thinking if things go well were just going to postpone it. Well take weekend getaway over memorial weekend and save up for bigger honeymoon following year if anything. I so want Hawaii lol I hope your able to plan something soon!
    Posted by Danny&Mel2003[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That sounds like a good plan- sucks to think of cancelling your honeymoon, but a solid job is worth it IMO! I think we will end up doing a 3 or 4 day  "mini-moon" and then going on a real vacation in 2014...for money, job, and general life reasons it will just work better for us that way.</div><div>
    </div><div>Were you and FI together when he was in the Air Force? It is definitely a unique lifestyle, and I have learned what compromise really means!

</div>
    gettin' hitched 05.04.13
  • In Response to Re:good news and bad news ...:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:good news and bad news...:In Response to Re:good news and bad news ...: Carpenters3 my Fi was Air Force 5 yrs reserve, activated 6 months at a time twice I know active duty is more but I have so much respect for military and there families, please say thank you to your Fi for us. The issue is we can canCel what is booked of honeymoon an get full refund by feb 3 so our plan is to wait till end of jan if he gets another interview by then well be canceling our cruise if he doesn't well flip a coin, past feb 4 and we loose our deposit. The other side of the coin here is we were told if things progress it would be 3 to 6 months before he starts. I cannot see a government job saying sure two weeks vacation when he should still be training is ok, I have heard of people doing it but thinking if things go well were just going to postpone it. Well take weekend getaway over memorial weekend and save up for bigger honeymoon following year if anything. I so want Hawaii lol I hope your able to plan something soon!Posted by Dannyamp;Mel2003That sounds like a good plan sucks to think of cancelling your honeymoon, but a solid job is worth it IMO! I think we will end up doing a 3 or 4 day nbsp;"minimoon" and then going on a real vacation in 2014...for money, job, and general life reasons it will just work better for us that way.Were you and FI together when he was in the Air Force? It is definitely a unique lifestyle, and I have learned what compromise really means! Posted by carpenters3[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking mini moon and 2014 big trip by then he'll have accrued vacation. Yes I was fianc throughout his military time. We actually started dating in 2003 as juniors in high school and he signed up in 2005 it's been very interesting but has also been an experience. They paid his tuition and allowed him to travel many diff states and countries. He was reservist but activated twice 6 months at a time. That made long distance easier being overseas with a phone call once a week and long distance only 4 hrs north cake walk lol thankfully he's done now and Feb will be completely out of irr
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards