New York-Long Island

Anyone having anxiety over how much $$ their wedding is costing?

Hi Everyone,

FH and I are going over our wedding budget and we are having major anxiety over how much we are spending!  ( and probably will go over!)
we are signing our catering contract this week. 
I keep trying to think of alternatives to not spend $50K on a nice wedding, but can't seem to come up with something other than a destination wedding by ourselves, which we will probably regret years from now. 

How are you guys doing?

Re: Anyone having anxiety over how much $$ their wedding is costing?

• alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited May 2012
    dh an i have been married nearly 7 years but yes-of course we had anxiety about it.; but it was also something that we CHOSE to do. if you want to do cheaper thre are ways-have it on a non-popular day and time-sunday afternoon, thursday night. Cut back the guest list!! this is a HUGE part of it. Make your own invites adn thank you cards, skip the favors, make your own bouquets and centerpieces. you also dont have to have a huge reception. you can do a lunch reception at a restaurant and then go out for an after party that you dont have to host (pay for). in fact one of my best friends did this they got married at city hall and then we took the ferry over to jersey and had a great lunch and a nice restaurant and then everyone met up later. it was fun!

• ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! We will be taking out a small loan to pay off what we don't have  in cash along with credit cards for our honeymoon and on top of this he wants to be in our own house by the time of the wedding. I;ve cried my eyes out in fear of being out on the street. I'm so beyond nervous!
  • star-i have to say if you have to take out a loan for the wedding you shouldn't be thinking of buying a house uet. you're right to be concerned. i'd be having a freak out too!!  bad idea!! stick to your instincts on this one. you're absolutely right!!!

• we spent the last 2 years saving..our wedding is somewhere around 40k give or take. FI has been out of work for most of this year...just went back to work a month ago (he had back surgery). You make things work though even with sacrifice. i have been working 2 jobs to pay for everything but with 11 days to go to the big day, im all paid off. just dont go in to debt if you can avoid it. we are also buying a home soon...put in an offer a few weeks ago and now we are just negotiating with the home seller...but it helps to not have loans and debt to buy a home once you go to the bank to get a loan. long island is SUPER expensive. taxes are a nightmare. Be prepared to pay at the minimum 2K for mortgage a month. compared to other people i know, their mortgages out of NY are so much cheaper. If you are taking out a loan for th wedding , its going to be really hard to move...banks are not lending like they used to. Right now i have zero CC debt and just a car payment with a decent downpayment and over 790 credit score and im still freaking out the bank wont approve us even after i got a pre-approval...you just arent guaranteed. First thing you should do is at least get a pre-approval to see where you stand.
  • BTW..im getting married at atlantis in riverhead. THe venue wound up costing us 20K by itself...everything else was vendors and whatnot. but we got everything we wanted...tons of flowers, huge centerpieces, ice sculptures, big DJ setup (recommend LI sound for music), really good photographer and video etc. etc. etc....and the venue is just amazing when its all done up. for the plate cost i priced at some other places for the same thing we got....hands down saved probably 10-12K by going with the venue we did.
  • OMG I totally am too! Right now we're looking at 45-50k,. FI wants to be in a new place by then as well and honeymoon in Fiji(he's got big hopes) I've been working 2 jobs and going to law school and Im just so afraid that we're going to have this big fantastic wedding and have nothing after
  • edited May 2012
    Well I am glad I'm not the only one! We are spending around $40K when all is said and done but that's throwing a nice elegant smaller wedding. 

Fortunately we are in our mid 40s and already own our home so we are set there. 
    But we have to save for retirement because we're getting up there! LOL!

• Ladies, weddings on long island can be very expensive. So if anyone here is interested in a free makeup trial e mail me. Facialsbyjeanie@gmail.com You can also check out my work on my website. Www.styleseat.com/jeanieo Hope to hear from you soon Jeanie
  • yes yes and yes! The wedding is such an expensive thing! Esp in this area. Lots of second guessing- esp for ONE DAY!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_anyone-having-anxiety-over-how-much-their-wedding-is-costing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:de95afd9-0c48-4f46-85f2-4a1ae5c49f71Post:92e95c1b-ac9e-4cd3-b825-53ac1eddd23d">Anyone having anxiety over how much $$ their wedding is costing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Everyone, FH and I are going over our wedding budget and we are having major anxiety over how much we are spending!  ( and probably will go over!) we are signing our catering contract this week.  I keep trying to think of alternatives to not spend $50K on a nice wedding, but can't seem to come up with something other than a destination wedding by ourselves, which we will probably regret years from now.  How are you guys doing?
    Posted by lovelydinosaur[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards