Wedding Woes

Though I had at least another 15-20 years before I was doing this

but I'm looking into nursing facilities for my dad. At least until he (if he) get's re-transplanted.

Re: Though I had at least another 15-20 years before I was doing this

• loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry. ::Hugs::
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh TT.  I have no words.  Just lots of long distance hugs, prayers, and support.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_though-least-another-15-20-years-before-doing-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:3afd30ce-3031-43e0-af4f-6340c2beb08ePost:92991d4b-62c6-4a96-a302-76d00e9bd59e">Re: Though I had at least another 15-20 years before I was doing this</a>:
    [QUOTE]TT the one H's aunt was in was excellent. Very warm, the people were well cared for - and there were levels of need, and pets to keep them happy. The two times I went there - the first time an old senile lady asked a very busy nurse to dance with her and she did! It was so sweet. I can get the name of it for you if you want.
    Posted by Butter Cookie[/QUOTE]

I'd love the information if you can get it. We're trying to keep in in my parents' area so my mom can visit daily, but since I'm just in the starting process I'll take any leads on anything.
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeesh.  You are such a strong woman TT.  ::vibes for a good facility::
  • edited December 2011
    That's great, BC. I've left messages for several that on their websites seem awesome.

My friend is a social worker in SoCal but I'm talking to her in 30 minutes about seeing what kind of contacts she has here, too.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry TT. 
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're going through this. It can't be easy, but you're doing the best thing for your dad, and it takes a really strong person to handle everything you've been handling.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wish i could offer more...*hugs and vibes*
  • edited December 2011
    We haven't fully discussed it and it depends on a few things. But my mom and I agreed that starting the preliminary leg work would be the smart thing to do.

If dad's "baseline" is where he is now - not remembering to brush his teeth, change his clothes, eat, and just shuffling from room to room and sleeping - then she cannot give him the care he needs as well as continue to work. And she can't STOP working.Even with the help of her friends and neighbors it's not enough.  And they only get 20 hours a week of a home health aide and mom works 40+ hours. He needs someone with him at all times it is turning out.

We'll determine the actuals after we discuss with the liver team.
  • notamrsnotamrs member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry...good thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    TT, I know it's really hard to do this, But honestly, the people in the assisted living have so much more experience on how to help the people they're caring for and, more importantly, they are on SHIFTS.  He will be receiving great medical care and with people who are alert and doing their jobs.  No one, no matter how much love and care they have, can be a full time 24 hour great medical caregiver to a family member.  It's too much for one person to handle.  Nearly all of the family members/friends that I have known who went into assisted living have improved drastically.

*hugs*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards