North Carolina-Outer Banks

Carolinas honeymoon help!

Hello Fellow Knotties,

I am getting married in August in PA and my FI and are trying to decide where to honeymoon.  I really want some time at the beach and prefer the quiet, non-built up beaches.  We are looking into the Outer Banks as a top choice.  We also really like to idea of seeing Charleston and maybe Savannah.  Any suggestions of beaches in SC that would fit that bill? Any opinions of Charleston/local beaches vs. NC's Outer Banks and/or any sites we should see in either of those areas. We've never been either place and are on about a $1500 budget for the honeymoon.  Also, how are the mospuitoes in the Outer Banks in August?  If it's like Chincoteague and Assateaugue VA they are terrible.  Thanks!

Re: Carolinas honeymoon help!

• edited December 2011
    The Outer Banks in NC have some great beaches.  To get to less "built up" areas, go further south to places like Hatteras, Avon, Rodanthe, Buxton or Frisco.  

There's a huge amount of rental companies for these areas, so just google "Outer Banks Rental House", and a list will pop up.  I vacation there a lot, and really can't recommend one company over another, so just go for price/location.

As for the mosquitos, if you're beachfront, it won't be as much of a problem since there's usually a breeze.  If you're on the sound side, the standing water tends to attract them.

Whether you go to NC or SC, if you're going during hurricane season, be sure to get rental insurance.  It's usually between $150-$200.  This way, if there's a mandatory evacuation, you'll get your money back.  Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards