Connecticut

Rude & Uncalled for

My grandmother is working on an early bridal shower for me. She had booked the Riverhouse in Haddam.  Talk about rude.  They were sweet and kind when we walked through the location. Now they are rude as can be.  When they do return a phone call, they are snippy on the phone.  While it is a large shower, we didn't want to do assigned seating because it is all family.  Our contact person told us this was a stupid idea. Who says stupid to a sweet 79 year old woman.  

Re: Rude & Uncalled for

• Rachel&DylanRachel&Dylan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you go somewhere else? They do not deserve your business... I do not understand why business in this economy or any other time can burn bridges and do this to customers. And since when is thier opinion needed.  I am sorry you and your grandmother is going though this, She sounds like a sweet and generous lady.
  • maxxwedmaxxwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

She signed a contract and has given money to them.  My grandmother wanted to set up one really long table .  They told us that we have to tell them who is having what.  I understand this but there is no reason to be mean about it.  Since they double check what each person is having, and if we tell them this many chickens, and this many seafood, what is the big deal????  

• Rachel&DylanRachel&Dylan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gotchya, well I would show up there and read them the riot act.
  • edited December 2011
    She called you stupid on the phone? Man, that would warrant a tongue lashing from me. Poor gramma!
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'd recommend going over her head to talk to someone above her about how she's treating customers.

They may have reasons to recommend doing things a certain way, but there's a way to tell that to customers without insulting them.

• maxxwedmaxxwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes they told her it was a stupid idea.  I am going to go there tomorrow and have a long talk with them.  No one messes with my grandma!!
  • edited December 2011
    OMG... One of my friends works at the River house and she would be so ashamed if she found out someone said that to you!! Do you know the position of the person who said that to your grandma.. I'm sorry but I would totally go there and read them the riot act because thats so horrible
    Future Mrs Williamson Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree.. you need to talk to the manager and not just the event coordinator!  I am having my January wedding at the Society Room in Hartford (same owners as the river house) and have had nothing but the best experience and service.  This is what they are known for and what they stand for.  Make sure you take care of this right away and hopefully they will remove the woman from her position! 
  • maxxwedmaxxwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom has the girls name and we are going there to talk to them.  I was shocked too.  I've heard good and okay things but not this rude.
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds strange if the Riverhouse has a good reputation...definitely go speak to a manager and explain the situation, they should try to find a way to make it right!
    SEPT. 2011 BRIDES - February Siggy Challenge: Reception Venue

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com

~~Wedding Bio Updated 2.18.2011~~

• maxxwedmaxxwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know they have been snippy with me once when I called to ask a question.  I will get to the bottom of it.

• sariesuesariesue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Needing the list what each guest is having might be the venues policy for events with predetermined choice. When events are done by predetermined choice. People don't remember what they chose, or change their mind once they see the options. This makes it difficult for the kitchen because if too many people change their choice they will be short on one entrée and over on another. By having the list of who has what it prevents that problem from occurring. At the caterer that I work for we do meal counts  by table, so table 1 has 4 chicken and 2 seafood and when dinner is served we say that we had this many chickens and this many seafood then people say their entree choice and we don't end up with major overages or short entrees. However, if you only have one big table that is not a feasible option.   

• edited December 2011
    Maxxwed,
    I am the wedding planner at The RIverhouse in Haddam.  I have been following the stream of comments from your original post.  I am very concerned about what I have read especially because we currently do not have any bridal showers in the works or confirmed.  Your experience certainly does not sound like The RIverhouse.
    I am hoping you have not confused us with another property.
    Please contact us at your earliest convenience at 860-345-4100 ext 2.
    Libby
  • edited December 2011
    My name is Jim Bucko, I am the managing partner of The Riverhouse, The Society Room and Riverhouse Catering. When I was informed of this posting I was appalled to hear that you were treated like this. As Libby said in her post that is not what our company is all about. I tried to send you a private message but you have that option turned off. Please call me at The Riverhouse 860-345-4100 or email me at jbucko@theriverhouse.com so I can understand the circumstances surrounding this. I can assure you, if in fact this situation happened to your Grandmother I will not hesitate to releave someone from their position with The Riverhouse. I truly think we have been mistaken for another business.
    I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
    Jim Bucko
  • edited December 2011
    I have some advice to compromise.

If you know what everyone is having, but not where they'd like to sit...

Make them each a place card or little favor with a sticker or something on it:

pink for beef
    yellow for chicken
    blue for fish
    green for vegetarian

Ask that they pick up thewir card/favor when they arrive and put it at their seat. While they are mingling/chatting....the servers can discreetly take a peak at where everyone is   :)

September 2011 November Siggy Challenge - Ceremony Location imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards