African American Weddings

Music - Please help!

My FI and I have 44 days to go til our wedding.

We are going the itunes route and are working on our playlists.
Admittedly, my musical tastes are ahem....eclectic, lol.  Add to that, we're an interracial couple, so half the crowd will be black and the other half will be white.  We'd like to play a variety of good stuff where each guest will have at least one or two songs that really 'speak' to them.

What were some of the song titles (and artists) from recent weddings/gatherings you've attended that really got the crowd up and shakin' their groove thang?

What are some somes that never fail to get you out of your seat and onto the dance floor?

Thanks!

Re: Music - Please help!

• edited December 2011
    MJ songs always make me dance and as much as I hate to admit it, The Electric Slide is universal. I usually sit it out, but everyone else seems to love it. I will keep thinking and come back with some other suggestions...
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_music-please-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:675c7bff-63c8-4f9d-b069-525161cd824dPost:128547ed-f97a-402e-91df-a1d606648243">Re: Music - Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>MJ songs always make me dance and as much as I hate to admit it, The Electric Slide is universal</strong>. I usually sit it out, but everyone else seems to love it. I will keep thinking and come back with some other suggestions...
    Posted by eagles347[/QUOTE]

Omg eagles please get outta my head! lol I was really about to type this. When FI go to predominantly white clubs we always hear Cupid Shuffle so I figure that's universal too.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I totally forgot about MJ!  (Adding that to the list).

The Electric Slide is on there, but I'm wondering what song to play.  I've heard different versions before, but its been ages...

I've never heard of the Cupid Shuffle....time to go YouTube, LOL!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, Electric Slide, Cha Cha Slide, MJ, Jump On IT (You Tube-Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • winter443winter443 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a feeling by black eyed peas
    I love my baby, yep yep, he loves this chick! imageimageimageMy Planning Bio
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definately MJ. He's universal at weddings. Many people from both ethnicities like the O'Jays, Temptations, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_music-please-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:675c7bff-63c8-4f9d-b069-525161cd824dPost:945c938d-222c-45f3-a16e-2bf44a0eee3b">Re: Music - Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, Electric Slide, Cha Cha Slide, MJ, Jump On IT (You Tube-Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)
    Posted by summerbride11[/QUOTE]

Visions of Carlton's pelvic thrust...lmbo! That show was so funny.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hey we are in the same boat! We are playing a little country, all the group dance songs (cha cha slide, cupid shuffle, booty call) MJ and of course Atomic Dog.
  • edited December 2011
    @eagles347- i you tube carlton every now and then for a good laugh!
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!
    I'll add these to my list and go check YouTube. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards