Honeymoon Discussions

Anyone from Omaha, Minneapolis, Black Hills?

Hi ladies -
My fiance and I are getting married in April. We are going to take a big trip somewhere tropical next January. But, I really want to do a short, couple-night trip right after the wedding just to get away for a while. Are there any neat places to stay in Omaha, Minneapolis, or the Black Hills? I don't think we'll travel any further away than that (we're in Sioux Falls, SD). Thanks for your help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing out!
image 300 Can't find the mailbox!

Re: Anyone from Omaha, Minneapolis, Black Hills?

• In the Black Hills you might find much of it shut down for the winter.  I went there on Spring Break one year and most of the hiking trails were closed due to snow and the season.  We were able to see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave, and drive the wildlife loop.

I would think that Minneapolis would have more to offer. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Omegosh - 

I lived in the Black Hills last year, and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find plenty to do in April. The weather is pretty mild in the hills, so there are lots of trails in the foothills by Rapid if you're looking to hike. I would consider the Lodge at Deadwood for a place to stay - very new and nice, with all the attractions of Deadwood nearby. They just built a new stage there if you want to try to go when a band is in town. Custer State park is also gorgeous - Sylvan lake lodge is in a beautiful setting with a great 2-3 hour hike behind the lake called Sunday Gulch. Hope this is helpful - have fun!
  • Hi there!

I'm from Omaha, and if I were to recommend a stay here, I'd absolutely stay at the Magnolia Hotel downtown and spend most of your time in the Old Market district or at Midtown.  Beautiful place & great service!  In the Old Market, there are a lot of little shops, some great restaurants, museums, and venues like the Century Link Center, the Holland Center & the Orpheum that bring in excellent shows (I think Fiddler is coming in April) - and at Midtown, there's a nice movie theater & some more shops, too.  Plus if you're an animal person, we do like to brag about our zoo down here!  Wink

FYI - Magnolia's sort of on the fringe of the Old Market, there is an Embassy Suites right at the heart of the Old Market, so that's a good option, too.

I think for a short little getaway, Omaha has a good number of options that won't break the bank so you can save all your big bucks for your real honeymoon in January!  (We waited until winter for our HM, too, and I LOVED being able to escape snowy Omaha for Cancun!!!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm originally from Sioux Falls and, having been to all of the locations in your post, it depends on what you are looking for out of a mini-moon.  If you are looking for activity in a big city, then Minneapolis is a good option.  If you are looking for a larger version of Sioux Falls, then Omaha is a good option.  If you are looking for a more rustic and scenic getaway, then Rapid City is a great option.  For a honeymoon, I would definitely choose the Rapid City area (not necessarily Rapid City itself) - and would stay at the Lodge in Deadwood that was discussed in a prior post.  This would definitely be a relaxing getaway.  There's also the option of looking for a cheap flight on Allegiant air down to Arizona for a few days.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks for all the tips, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards