Connecticut

Shoreline Caterers

My finance and I have experience a significant decrease in our projected wedding budget. We are planning a rustic barn themed wedding for the Spring of 2013. We have spoken with Cloud Nine Catering and Emily's Catering and both have given us reasonable quotes ($100 a per person with dinner, limited bar, linens, plates, glasses, etc). Although I believe that to be a reasonable price, I am writing this post in hopes of finding some gem of a caterer that for some reason is not as expensive, but still delivers quality food.

Our menu will be rather 'fun' with pulled pork and mac and cheese (at least these are some ideas we have). I am worried that the informality of our meal means we have to be very careful with which caterer we choose. I do not want to look like our wedding is super tacky or cheap.

We are waiting to officially book our venue, but it will most likely be a barn in Guilford.

Any advice or caterer suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Re: Shoreline Caterers

• bmetz34bmetz34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try David Alan Catering.  They are out of Wallingford, but are doing my Groton wedding next year.  They are super nice, the tasting was delicious, and we wanted unique fun food, and they were great with our suggestions and came up with some of their own.  We were quoted less than $100 per person.  I can't use my PM on here for some reason, but if you want to email me at honeeb34 at aol dot com, I can give you some more details.   They worked with us to be with in budget.  They have new 2012 menus up on their website too. 
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info on David Alan, BMetz.  Just checked out their website and they look great.  If I decide to go with the Carousel at Lighthouse, I'll be checking them out for sure.  I might email you for some more info--thanks!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're at $110/person (not including alcohol, which we're supplying ourselves, but they're stocking and staffing a bar for us) but our menu is absolutely out of this world - 8 different passed apps, an appetizer station ("Mediterreanean Grazing Table"), 4 active dinner stations, shortcake station, fruit platter, and dessert buffet, as well as an amazing coffee bar.  Seriously, they're fantastic!  And our appetizers & dinner options include ingredients like lobster, foie gras, duck, oysters, etc.  So not cheap!

I'm positive that our caterer would work with your budget for the type of meal you want, and they'd do a really upscale twist to it!  We're doing comfort foods for one of the stations, but they are really coming up with awesome ways to serve it and present it so it's really sophisticated.

Seriously, check out Emily's Catering.  They're my favorite vendor BY FAR!  Tell them Cate from the Branford House wedding over next Labor Day weekend referred you.

www.emilyscater.com

rick @ emilyscater.com

Anniversary

• rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ocean Blue Catering has cheaper options than $100 pp for catering, and they are top  notch quality. Kathy is great and if you gave her a price, she would build a menu for you, she did for my rehersal dinner :)
  • junebug19junebug19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We met with Cloud Nine caterers as well, but we went with Gourmet Galley in Quaker Hill b/c the prices were comparable, but GG gave us a much more personalized menu- they didn't just give us a book of options, the chef actually learned how to make an ethnic dish she had never made before just for our menu- and ALOT more food for just about the same price, and we got a free tasting before we signed a contract- Cloud Nine wanted $65/pp for a tasting. 
    Coastal Gourmet in Mystic was my second choice, right around the same price.

Our menu is also somewhat casual, during cocktail hour they are going to be grilling individual pizzas for guests, and dinner is served family style.

• jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_shoreline-caterers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:012e796d-a6b6-402c-9e8c-d7db83d6d6c0Post:1556c61f-2da4-4495-9083-1da94d8a7adb">Re: Shoreline Caterers</a>:
    [QUOTE]We met with Cloud Nine caterers as well, but we went with Gourmet Galley in Quaker Hill b/c the prices were comparable, but GG gave us a much more personalized menu- they didn't just give us a book of options, the chef actually learned how to make an ethnic dish she had never made before just for our menu- and ALOT more food for just about the same price, and we got a free tasting before we signed a contract- Cloud Nine wanted $65/pp for a tasting.  <strong>Coastal Gourmet in Mystic was my second choice, right around the same price.</strong> Our menu is also somewhat casual, during cocktail hour they are going to be grilling individual pizzas for guests, and dinner is served family style.
    Posted by junebug19[/QUOTE]

Coastal Gourmet is our caterer! We actually just scheduled our tasting, and got the list of all the options to choose from. Everything sounds AMAZING! I know Mystic Seaport (our venue) has a BBQ/clambake menu for one of the reception sites, that includes a bunch of "comfort foods" like you mentioned. They can also customize the menu if you don't see something you like. We took out one of the appetizer courses to save some money, and we came in around $85pp. But I think the BBQ menu is even a little less, so I'm sure they can work with your budget!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Nova from NY.  Travel fees are free in NY, NJ and CT. www.novacateringco.com
    abc
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have been researching the companies and have placed a few calls to try and get things started. We already had an appointment with Emily's Catering which seems like it will work. Thanks again everyone!!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Corkey, can't say enough nice things about Emily's!  I feel like Rick is going to be "the man" the day of the wedding, and I have complete trust in their ability to exceed my expectations.  I hope you pick them!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards