North Carolina-Outer Banks

Any and all help please :)

Hi ladies-

I will start off that I am brand new to "The Knot".  I have been reading a bit and this is my first post :)

I have been engaged for about 2 months and am completely clueless.  I have spent countless hours online reading up on weddings in the Outer Banks, and feel stressed about the costs of everything.  If we have between 75-100 people planning on attending, what is a reasonable budget?  I would like to spend around $10,000 on everything, and do not want anything formal or fancy- buffet dinner, quick standing ceremony on the beach, etc.  Is this possible in the Spring/Summer/Fall?  What are the best venues for budget weddings in your experience?  

I can use all the possible input I can get and apologize for asking repeat questions which have been asked in previous postings.  Many many thanks in advance! 

Re: Any and all help please :)

• HStaffordHStafford member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!!  I think this budget can be done... but it would be best to start planning now to try to get the good deals!  We are going to have about 100 at ours (on June 3rd!) and ended up spending about $21k.  I posted this a few posts below, but $3k of that is for our wedding planner, $2,500 was just the event home fee for the reception and our biggest expense other than that was food (for 100 people) came in around $5k once you add in service charges, etc.  We aren't doing a formal dinner either, just a lot of heavy hors d'ouevres for more of a cocktail party feel, but it was still pretty expensive.

Where are you planning on having it?  It is a toss up... lots of homes tack on event fees (which are pretty ridiculous if you ask me), but you can bring in your own food and liquor.  Some of the other venues seems to mark up the food/liquor quite a bit (especially liquor), but I'm sure some of the other ladies on this board can help with suggestions!

Also, one other thing to be wary of is the weekly rental fees.  I had prereserved my house, paid all of my deposits for all vendors and then got the 2011 weekly rental rates for $2,500 MORE than the 2010 rate (on top of the event fee)!!  It was almost a game changer, but we decided it was too late in the game to change it.

Let us know what else we can help with!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Congrats & Welcome!  The ladies on this board are hands down, THE most helpful ladies around.  We are all more than happy to answer any and all questions you have.

Our budget is $10K and we are getting married in mid-Sept.  I will say that the summer months are peak season and things can be more expensive, mainly the costs of beach homes.  A spring or fall rate at $4,000 can easily run up to $8,000 + a week in the summer months b/c that is their busiest time of year.  We are renting an oceanfront non-event home for the ceremony, having the reception at 108 Budleigh in Manteo and the catering is Coastal Provisions.  These 3 alone are by far going to be your big money items. 

If you are having your reception at the beach house, you should look for event homes b/c they actually allow large parties and are made for large events.  Event homes will be more expensive b/c of the stupid event fee they charge which like Stafford says is ridiculous.  Also, there are only a handful of homes that allow up to 100 guests so that could be a deciding factor in itself. 

We originally wanted to do a reception at a beach house too but the more we looked into it, it seemed way out of our budget to do so after paying the event fees.  We found that by doing the reception elsewhere, we saved money on the event fee (which is non-refundable) and were able to put that towards a reception venue and other wedding related costs.

What are you envisioning?  Give us some more info to work with and Im sure we can offer plenty of suggestions to get you started :)

P.S.  Dont get too stressed out :)  Enjoy this experience to it's fullest and if you ever need to vent, we are all right here for you

• jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi both,

Thanks so much for the quick responses.  I actually originally had thought of an event home, but I think it may get too expensive an stressful having everything done right there.  I shifted to a venue and looked mainly at 108 Budleigh and Adrianna's.  I really want to have open bar, other than that, I am not focused on fancy food or an expensive photographer.  I also contacted  The Pearl but haven't heard back.

OBX 2011, how many people are you hosting for the $10K budget?  How is the venue to work with?  Bonnie seems very quick to respond to my inquires.  

Budget is our greatest concern, we are paying for everything ourselves, so while it is not in stone, we would prefer to keep it comfortable for us.   The house we can get help with as others will be staying with us.  The food is going to be the biggest expense I think.  What caterers did you both look into and what made you decide on the ones you did?

Thanks!!!!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_please-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e03a705b-d05b-48e6-894c-892f75cf0fc6Post:e4725c62-d300-4dd3-adc4-bafd8a5cd261">Re: Any and all help please :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi both, Thanks so much for the quick responses.  I actually originally had thought of an event home, but I think it may get too expensive an stressful having everything done right there.  I shifted to a venue and looked mainly at 108 Budleigh and Adrianna's.  I really want to have open bar, other than that, I am not focused on fancy food or an expensive photographer.  I also contacted  The Pearl but haven't heard back. <strong>OBX 2011, how many people are you hosting for the $10K budget?  How is the venue to work with?</strong>  Bonnie seems very quick to respond to my inquires.   Budget is our greatest concern, we are paying for everything ourselves, so while it is not in stone, we would prefer to keep it comfortable for us.   The house we can get help with as others will be staying with us.  The food is going to be the biggest expense I think.  What caterers did you both look into and what made you decide on the ones you did? Thanks!!!!
    Posted by jkramas[/QUOTE]

Probably around 60-70 guests and Bonnie is fabulous!  We weren't able to make it by Sat so she gave me the building code to let myself in and out on Sunday morning which I thought was super-neat.  Like I had my own private all access pass, lol.

Yes, the caterers are the most expensive item by far.  We went to the wedding expo in January and stopped by Coastal Provisions for lunch on Friday afternoon.  At the expo, Dan totally remembered us and came from around the booth and gave me a big 'ole hug and his personality outshined the rest of them.  There were lots of foods that we tried but we just couldnt stop raving over their crab cakes and with Dan's personality, we just knew we should book them and are very glad we did.

Are you planning a trip to the Outer Banks anytime soon?  That would be a great way for you to look at venues in person and even taste some of the local caterers.  The obx wedding association, under Real Weddings is a great place to see what vendors other brides have used and also The Knot has its 2011 Best Of list out so you can see who comes highly recommended bases of their set criteria.

• edited December 2011
    Hi!  I will second the recommendation for 108 Budleigh.  They've been great to work with so far & for the rental fee you get the place the entire day plus tables/chairs.  I'm trying to do this without a wedding planner/coordinator so having the time earlier in day to help with set-up is a key for me... Oh and another awesome thing there is you're allowed to bring in your own alcohol.  We're doing that and our caterer, Red Sky, is providing the bartenders and all the mixers for $5.50 pp.  

For a $10k budget, I definitely recommend going with a Spring or Fall wedding as house rentals pricing become somewhat obscene during the summer (& our limited to weekly rentals) and travel costs are generally higher for guests as well (hotels/B&B's in the area are all $200-$300/night for my wedding week & weekend - last week in June).  Just beware of hurricane season in late August and September...

I would guess your other major cost (especially for ~100 people) will be food.  I'm not sure there's any caterer that will come to you for less than $20-25 pp. But I would say a beautiful wedding it is still doable in the OBX with a $10k budget, you'll just have to cut corner elsewhere like flowers/decor and photography...
  • jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, thanks wxkristin!  10K doesn't include the house rental, we are not doing much for photography and flowers either- two areas I am fine with cutting out almost completely.  I am also hoping the attendees will be closer to 75.  Budget isnt set at 10K, we are paying ourselves with maybe a little help, but I am planning it as I am paying for it all and will be flexible when needed on the budget.

I have received qoutes and menus from Red Sky.  I noticed they dont provide the china, flatware, glasses, etc.  I am still somewhat new to all this- so where did you rent those from?  And how much do they add? 
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011

Try Metro Rental or Ocean Atlantic Rentals, which I highly recommend

Wxkristin....There is no such things as the dreaded "H" word for us Sept brides, lol.  At least that is totally what I am convincing myself of :)

• princesskmpprincesskmp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I along with the PPs am also having my reception at 108 Budleigh.  I liked Adrianna's as well, but the alcohol became a little too complicated for me because you have to get your own license on Roanoke Island and there was some convoluted formula they used to calculate the cost.  Their wedding package is all inclusive so you definitely know what your costs are going to be (minus the alocohol).  Linda at Adrianna's is a complete doll.  For my 108 Budleigh reception I am using 1587 for my catering and Audra is just fabulous.  She will come up with a menu that will completely fit whatever budget you give her and she is super organized and can tune in to exactly what you want.  I do think you will be able to find what you want within the budget you are working with.

My photographer is also very reasonable.  He is a portrait photographer that is venturing into the wedding photography business so he isn't as well known as the others.  His company is called Coastal Shots.

Good luck with your planning.
  • edited December 2011
    We are also using 108 Budleigh.  It is beautiful and so affordable when you consider all the stuff you have to pay for to have your wedding at a rental home:  the rental rate for a tent, all chairs and tables, the special event fee etc.  Also, keep in mind that if you rent 108 Budleigh, and rent their oceanfront home "Fearing Cottage" in South Nags Head, they give you $500 off your rental fee for the venue.  The house is pretty nice, very woody and beach cottage looking but huge and still pretty.  Village Realty rents the house.  I wanted to rent their house but it is not pet friendly and we have two dogs :(  I'm trying to convince family members to rent the house so we can reap the benefit ;) 

We are using the Black Pelican for catering.  They quoted us about $6,000 for a buffet dinner, appetizers, bar mixers. This includes all service fees and taxes.  We are providing out own alcohol.  They weren't the cheapest but they are AWESOME to work with and I have just heard people raving about their food.

If you don't want to do much with floral, I keep hearing that the Kitty Hawk Harris Teeter has an awesome floral department.  We have a very small budget of $500 for our flowers.  This is a tall order, considering that I have six bridesmaids and 5 groomsmen.  We are just doing something simple.  We have decided to use Sugar Snaps for the floral.  Shirley is amazing. She is so willing to work with you if you have a small budget and has great  ideas.  I highly recommend at least a call or email to them ;)  Good luck on your planning!  I'm not until next may but already underway!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards