Not Engaged Yet

work and eye strain

I've recently started a job working from home. With that, I'm on my computer 8 hours a day and my eyes have definitely not been used to it. I'm now experiencing headaches right above my eyes, near my eyebrow, and it kills. I just lessened the brightness on my computer and hope that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions for battling eye strain? 

Re: work and eye strain

• My flight doc (the doc who sees me at work and makes sure I'm fit to fly) gave me this suggestion for when I'm spending hours in from of my computer:  he says to rest your eyes for 10 or so minutes every hour.  Just look off into the distance - and apparently, looking at something green helps the eyes rest. 
    So maybe looking out the window at some trees or grass or something?  Should help the eye strain!
  • I have the same problem!  those headaches are so weird.  I downloaded f.lux on my home laptop, and it helps a lot when I'm working at home.  it adjusts the brightness/contrast/etc. according to the time of day/season/etc.  I don't have a solution for work, except to take lots of breaks and keep some eye drops in your desk.  if you can download the f.lux, it might help a little.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_work-eye-strain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:42935e94-19d5-48ba-a4f8-8df245da4898Post:a5249d31-bf68-41bb-8525-4352e6084b4f">Re: work and eye strain</a>:
    [QUOTE]My flight doc (the doc who sees me at work and makes sure I'm fit to fly) gave me this suggestion for when I'm spending hours in from of my computer:  he says to rest your eyes for 10 or so minutes every hour.  <strong>Just look off into the distance</strong> - and apparently, looking at something green helps the eyes rest.  So maybe looking out the window at some trees or grass or something?  Should help the eye strain!
    Posted by flygirlmeg[/QUOTE]

My eye doctor also told me to do this if I find myself in front of the computer screen often.  Like when I was writing papers for school.  Just look off to the side and at something far across the room.  My eyes can never look at the screen for very long anyway.  I end up staring out the window or space out now and then. 
  • that's good to know flygirl and moto!  I'll try that.  also, I notice if they have on the overhead lights (the super bright ones) it makes it worse.  I brought in a lamp and turned it on, and I think it helps a little...  some softer light.  when I'm at home, I hardly use lights because my eyes are so sensitive.
  • My eye Dr also told me to look off in to the distance. There's the 20/20/20 rule. Every 20 minutes look away at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. It helps when I remember to actually do it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I get these headaches too, thanks for the advice!  

Anniversary

• thank you all for the advice! I'm defiinitely going to try the whole distance thing.
  • I had perfect vision until I started the job I have now. Four months into it, I woke up one morning and couldn't focus. It was like I walked around for days seeing how I do when I first wake up. I wentto the eye doctor, and found out I had developed a very small vision problem and astigmatism(sp?). I got a pair of super-cute weak glasses and just wear them when I'm at work. 

My vision went back to normal, and now I can barely tell a difference with how I see with or without the glasses. BUT, if I forget to wear them at work, I'll start getting fuzzy again.

Best part? I had vision insurance at my old job, but apparently never worked hard enough to need it...
    Go see an eye doc. ValuVision here ran a $1 eye exam special in December, see if you can find some chain that does something like that.
    Go
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards