Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Satin ribbon on cake

Hey everyone!  I've seen many pictures of cakes with real satin ribbon on them, but I've never been to a wedding where the couple's cake had real ribbon on it.  How does the cutting of the cake work with real ribbon?  Do you just take it off?  I love the look of a satin ribbon on a cake, but I would rather not have to do maintanence to the cake before eating it.  Thanks!

Re: Satin ribbon on cake

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just cut down to the ribbon.  I don't even remember the ribbon to tell you the truth.  But we didn't have any issues.  The rest of our cake was cut for us in the kitchen so I can't tell you what happened after that!  In fact, our largest tier (bottom) was fake and a sheet cake was cut and served.

But it's not an issue, trust me.  Here's a picture of our cake cutting.

• alivesoonalivesoon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would actually take the out and save them as a memory!!! you couls use them for decorating or the wedding album
  • edited December 2011
    I was actually wondering the same thing Kati.
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My baker says the ribbon is attached with a little "glue dot" of icing .  For the cutting, we're just supposed to pop loose the glue dot and cut there.  Easy.  When the venue cuts the cake, they'll just remove the ribbon.

Also - my baker specifies that she soaks the ribbon in canola oil and pats it dry before putting it on the cake so that it doesn't discolor unevenly from the fat in the icing.  So, I'm supposed to test the ribbon I give her for color after being oiled.  Something to ask your baker about as well.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this question I was wondering the same thing! Stephiehalls answer was just what I was looking for. Thanks!
  • Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we just cut the cake normally, and the ribbon just moved out of the way, and didnt stay attached to the cake at all...it didnt rip or anything either...there wasnt an issue, and I didnt even think about it. I have a picture in my wedding bio if you want to see what our cake looked like.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards