Registry and Gift Forum

Do we have to register?

We have recently combined 2 households.  Do we have to register for stuff because we have all we need and don't really have the room to store anything else.  need advice!
TIA

Re: Do we have to register?

• Im in the same boat.  I'd say no, you don't have to register. I'm not, but I do want to "register for my honeymoon"  some think its tacky, but none of my family or friends think so..  Any thoughts?
  • Have a limited registry for things you would like upgraded.  WIth a limited registry you may be more likely to get cash gifts.  You may also get some random gifts, but I think it's always best to register because it wil guide your guests in some way.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4c48df3d-769f-407f-a2b3-64d206dbb5e5Post:2bf1ce4e-a07a-46e4-ae1f-f16fea142942">Re: Do we have to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im in the same boat.  I'd say no, you don't have to register. I'm not, but I do want to "register for my honeymoon"  some think its tacky, but none of my family or friends think so..  Any thoughts?
    Posted by cidinny[/QUOTE]

What about your FI's family and friends?  There's really no way to know whether people invited to your wedding think this is tacky.  They might not tell you even if they did because they don't want to hurt your feelings.
    Married 10/2/10
  • There will always be some people who will want to give boxed gifts, so either do a small registry with upgrades or be prepared to receive random gifts. Most people these days will give cash gifts, so just use that for your honeymoon. That way you are not seen as asking for cash. 
  • If you do have a honeymoon registry you should also have a smaller in store registry as well.  Some people feel honeymoon registries are tacky, but also some people are not comfortable with buying gifts online.  If you don't register you are more likely to gets lots of things that you don't need/want and can't return. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It sounds like something like a honeymoon fund might be good for you. Because people will want to give you gifts no matter what, and if you don't offer any direction, you will probably just end up with things that you really don't need. Or, I was looking at other people's registries on myregistry.com for some ideas and I saw one couple that registered for things to renovate their home. Like new knobs for the cabinets, tiles for the bathroom, and stuff like that. I'm sure there's something you could use, even if it's not the regular kitchen stuff.
  • I'm in a similar situation and we're thinking of registering for upgrades. Our dishware and flatware are a combination of the stuff I had at university and the random family stuff his mother gave him when he moved out. It's a mishmash of '70s orange-and-brown and '90s Ikea stoneware. ;) We're both thinking it would be nice to have a matching set of something, so we'll Goodwill the current stuff if we get new stuff.
  • You can still register for a few items like a replacement for your 15 year old microwave or fun stuff like camping gear or board games.  There are whole threads somewhere on here that list some of the uncommon items you may not have thought of.
    If you really don't need anything you shouldn't feel forced to make a 200-item registry just so your guests have plenty of choices. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards