North Carolina-Outer Banks

Time of day suggestions for July oceanfront wedding?

I was thinking about having our ceremony at 5 or 6pm? I guess it will depend on when we get an Officiant! Although, I have read that when you put in the request for an Officiant you also include the time you would like them as well as the date! the more I think about it I am leaning toward 6pm. Any ideas or advice from other brides who got married or will be getting married in the middle of summer! LoL By the way, it is my FI who wanted a summer wedding cause he has a daughter and she'll be out of school! I picked our date because I don't have any family and July 14 was my Mom's birthday so it will make me feel closer to her on my special day! 

Thanks for the input everyone! 

Re: Time of day suggestions for July oceanfront wedding?

• How late will your reception go?  We had a June 22nd wedding and had a 4:30pm wedding - earlier than I anticipated, but it's as late as our officiant could go, and it actually worked out for the best.  We had about 20 minutes of travel time between the ceremony and reception.  The cocktail hour started at 5:30, dinner at 7, and we partied until 11.  If you can go later than 11pm and/or if you're not traveling, then you don't have to start so early. 

2 other things to keep in mind:
    *leave enough time for pictures after the ceremony - the time between will FLY by and those are almost always the best pictures of you and your new hubby (we took pics on the beach and in downtown Manteo, and I'm so glad that we did)
    *consider the tide if you're getting married on the beach; in some places, a high tide makes for a very small beach (you can find tide calendars by googling)
    image June 22, 2012
  • ACJD714ACJD714 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_time-of-day-suggestions-for-july-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:e6d8c5d0-3ffb-4cf2-8fe3-164ee76450aaPost:aa1bd4bd-a426-4c2b-b68f-d69fe3f7e3fb">Re: Time of day suggestions for July oceanfront wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How late will your reception go?  We had a June 22nd wedding and had a 4:30pm wedding - earlier than I anticipated, but it's as late as our officiant could go, and it actually worked out for the best.  We had about 20 minutes of travel time between the ceremony and reception.  The cocktail hour started at 5:30, dinner at 7, and we partied until 11.  If you can go later than 11pm and/or if you're not traveling, then you don't have to start so early.  2 other things to keep in mind: *leave enough time for pictures after the ceremony - the time between will FLY by and those are almost always the best pictures of you and your new hubby (we took pics on the beach and in downtown Manteo, and I'm so glad that we did) *consider the tide if you're getting married on the beach; in some places, a high tide makes for a very small beach (you can find tide calendars by googling)
    Posted by jendem8[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks jendem, I thought about looking at the time the suns sets but totally forgot about the tide schedule! Wow! So much thought goes into planning the wedding besides just buying the dress and picking out a cake! That's the great thing about this message board, you get great advice plus you learn new things that you may have never thought of before! </div>
  • Ya, it's definitely the truth... this board saved me more than a few times!  Our 4:30 wedding was pretty warm, but I can't complain too much about that as it was a summer beach wedding (and it would have been warm no matter what time).  It was also low-tide at that time, so no stress there.  If you have pretty wide beaches (like South Nags Head), then should be ok no matter what the tide, but I just know that some places, like Kitty Hawk, have tiny beaches and it could be a factor to consider.

There is SO much to about... it's crazy!
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited August 2012
    We got married July 6th- in the middle of the nasty, insane, record-breaking heat. We got married at 5:00 and the heat was still cooking us alive. We had to set up a tent with coolers of water for everybody. Then our pastor's wife kept passing bottles of water to people during the service. Anyhoodle, I'm getting a little off-track here..... I'd go with 5 or 5:30. Ideally, it might be nice to go 6 due to heat, but like Jen said, you want to make sure you have enough time for your reception and pictures.

Also, consider if you're going barefoot. For us, 5:00 left the beach sand just cool enough to walk in without needing to run for the water. haha

Ooo, and I just remembered.... check the time of the tide before settling on your time!! Depending on the exact location in the OBX you choose, high tide might only leave a tiny sliver of sand left. Plus, you don't want your chairs to be set up and then have to move them. If you happen to be at the beach, you can check with the lifeguard for a tide chart, but I'm sure there's tide charts online somewhere.
  • Sorry, Jen, I just noticed you mentioned about the tide and then I said the same thing.... note to self: read twice, type once. haha

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_time-of-day-suggestions-for-july-oceanfront-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e6d8c5d0-3ffb-4cf2-8fe3-164ee76450aaPost:aa1bd4bd-a426-4c2b-b68f-d69fe3f7e3fb">Re: Time of day suggestions for July oceanfront wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How late will your reception go?  We had a June 22nd wedding and had a 4:30pm wedding - earlier than I anticipated, but it's as late as our officiant could go, and it actually worked out for the best.  We had about 20 minutes of travel time between the ceremony and reception.  The cocktail hour started at 5:30, dinner at 7, and we partied until 11.  If you can go later than 11pm and/or if you're not traveling, then you don't have to start so early.  2 other things to keep in mind: *leave enough time for pictures after the ceremony - the time between will FLY by and those are almost always the best pictures of you and your new hubby (we took pics on the beach and in downtown Manteo, and I'm so glad that we did) *consider the tide if you're getting married on the beach; in some places, a high tide makes for a very small beach (you can find tide calendars by googling)
    Posted by jendem8[/QUOTE]

Everyhting Jen said...same time, almost same location and same venue.  I am really glad I went with 4:30 too b/c those 30mins were really needed for the pictures.

If you really prefer a later ceremony, then you can take some of your pics beforehand.  Your photographer can really help you pick the best time, so definitely talk it over with them. Also, the time of your ceremony will dictate how the rest of the evening flows, so make sure you nail down the time with him/her before you finalize everything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards