Not Engaged Yet

Help me find an apartment!!

Well girls, I finally got a job offer yesterday!!  The hospice that I interviewed with offered me the job late yesterday afternoon!  So, it looks like we're moving to Shreveport - which is about 4 hours from where we live now.  My job today is to find a few apartments to check out when I go up there later this week.  We're thinking a 1-2 bdrm/1ba and it seems like apartments are reasonable there so we're looking at $550-650 range. 

I'm sooo unbelievably relieved!  Now FI will have to find a job but it'll be easier for him because he has more of a wide range of different experience and with my salary I'll be able to cover our bills easily until he finds something - PHEW!

Re: Help me find an apartment!!

• edited December 2011
    YAY!! Congrats!! What a relief!

Off I go to apartment hunt...
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations! That's great news!

I'll look online when I get home today and see if I can find any possibilities.

I think it's funny you gys are swapping- now your FI will be the one getting pedicures and Sonic limeades? Cool
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    LOL!!  That's a pretty hilarious visual Jeana :)

Luckily, I think he can handle the stress of job hunting MUCH better than I can.  And, he doesn't like his current job so I think he is happy to find a new one. 
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and thanks girls!!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on the job!  Off to craig's list!
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    How big is Shreveport?  Any particular area?

This pool looks awesome!

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/apa/1791431414.html
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287

My Blog

• edited December 2011

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    OK stop the search, this place is clean, affordable, with a great kitchen and on the water:

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/apa/1760280442.html

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    Oh, I like that second one NQB.  Shreveport is a pretty decent size town.  I haven't had the chance to really explore it yet though..
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure how you feel about haggling the price down, but this one is $700/mo and it's pretty!! Brian haggled our lease down by $200/mo - not sure if you can do it or not with the market down there.

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/apa/1770667266.html

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/apa/1769073990.html

• loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the new job!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on getting the job!! :)

I can't help with the search now, gotta do payroll  (people like to get paid)... but good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your money certainly goes a lot further down in LA then it does in MN. You can get a really nice place down there for $550 - $650. The only think you'd be finding around here in that range is a tiny studio, a complete dump or somewhere almost in the middle of no where.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh DUH... CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING A JOB!!!!! That is AMAZING!! You must feel so excited! That's wonderful news!
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations Jeter!

The ladies pulled up some great stuff! Just curious, is electric heat expensive down there? I was just confused as to why in the one apartment heat was electric but hot water and stove were gas. I guess I don't know how that works in different places because here I see electric heat and run. However, the province next to me that is what you want. Anyway, definitely take Katanne's suggestion - my last apartment I was able to talk them down almost $100 and since I stayed there a couple of years I really benefited from them not being able to increase my rent as high as it would originally have been.
  • edited December 2011
    Is it bad that all I know about Shreveport is that's where Fangtasia is supposed to be?

Congrats Jeter honey!

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• edited December 2011
    NQB - Nantucket is the one that FI found on Friday and absolutely loves.  I think I'm going to call that place today.

Kat - I love the first one you showed but they don't accept dogs :(    Oh and thank you!

loopy - Yeah, I was pretty amazed at how reasonable rentals are down here!  It's tough to find a decent apartment for $600 up in St Louis...

Thanks for all the help girls!!  I'm soo ready to get there and FINALLY be settled in!
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Grats Jeter on the job that is wonderful!
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks tafft!!  :)
  • Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

How big is your dog?
  • edited December 2011
    We just have a little dachshund...
  • Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh because that apartment complex Kat posted allows dogs up to 25 lbs.  In case you really did like it...
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Jeter! What does FI do? So we can job hunt for him too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I know it's kind of a generic answer, but sales.  That man can sell anything.  Although, for the last year or so he has been the manager of the parts department at a dealership.
  • edited December 2011
    Hazel,

We only use heat for about 2 months or so out of the year, and even then not every day. Average winter temperatures are in the 50s, except for a few cold days/weeks when it may get into the 30s.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    What sort of things do you like in an apartment? For instance, I like having windows in my kitchen, big closets and plenty of storage,  townhouse layouts (upstairs & downstairs), open kitchens that connect to the living or dining room, and new carpet is a HUGE bonus.

So, whatcha looking for in your new home? Or are you just looking for somewhere to put your stuff until you find something better? How long of a lease do you want?

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think at the moment, we're really just looking for somewhere to live.  My start date is July 5th so we only have just a few weeks to find something.  I've called quite a few places and there aren't too many that have any vacancies at this time, so I think we're going to end up having to take what we can get.  We both really love the Nantucket Harbor apartments but of course they have a waiting list.. Ugh!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, well then you just need a place to stash your stuff and sleep at night, preferably with a somewhat short lease.

Okay then. I wish I knew more about Shreveport.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards