Snarky Brides

Scent flashbacks

So, I was just in the hallway at work, and this lady passed by me. I got a whiff of her and it totally brought me back to 1994 (showing my age..lol) when I used to wear "White Musk" from the Body Shoppe.

The perfume I am wearing today totally brings me back to my honeymoon.

Does this happen to anyone else?
BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Scent flashbacks

• Honeysuckle makes me think of being a kid and eating it off the bush in my parent's backyard.
  • Every once in a while I get a "My Little Pony" smell and it brings me back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagemy read shelf:
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:56559c28-d9cf-41b3-a5c8-950e1d8ac0e1">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Every once in a while I get a "My Little Pony" smell and it brings me back.
    Posted by crose29[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...Strawberry Shortcake dolls.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
  • Yeah its like a weird, sweet, plastic smell or something.
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:bea9183f-f1eb-44aa-9c32-bcc97c3cfc13">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah its like a weird, sweet, plastic smell or something.
    Posted by crose29[/QUOTE]

<div>YES.  New toys all have the same smell to me.</div>
  • Versace Dreamer always reminds me of my ex.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Dude, TOTALLY happens to me.

I love the smell of North Dakota in the fall - it smells like barley dust.  Takes me straight back to growing up on the farm as a kid.  Even smelling good soil takes me back.

My dad has worn the same cologne - Jovan Musk - forever.  We always buy it for him for Christmas and his birthdays, and I always open it before giving it to him so I can smell it.  It just smells like life or something.

When Ben and I got back together (the last time before we got married, lol) he was still wearing Hugo Boss and he totally wore that when I knew him in 7th grade.  The first time I danced with him at a school dance I could smell it on him and when I went home, I was totally just inhaling it until I went to sleep because it was on my shirt.  ...lol
    panther
  • Tommy cologne reminds me of my stepdad, who I don't like so much all the time. When I was younger and going out to clubs, this put a lot of otherwise eligible young men at a disadvantage.

Estee Lauder Pleasures for Men reminds me of my first love/ current bff. He wore it in HS and I can smell it from a mile away. 

Paul Sebastian cologne reminds me of my sister's ex bf from HS. I could tell when he was walking in the front door, and I still turn my head every time I smell it. 

I also have childhood memories of honeysuckle and cow shiit, but not related necessarily. They just both take me back to running outside barefoot at our house. 

Oh, and Shower to Shower is TOTALLY my grandma. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My ex wore Swiss Army cologne, so anyone that wearing that makes me think of highschool.  Funny how guys that wear that cologne almost always over wear it.

I remember the first time I tried lemon Perrier (when I was little-er).  The taste made me think of the smell of wet-naps.  My mom thought I was cracked.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AATB- the smell of fall flashes me back to Nutcraker rehearsals.  Its weird.  We always rehearsed from Sept-Nov.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • edited April 2011
    Yep, anytime I smell Rapture by VS, it reminds me of watching my mom get ready for work in the mornings before school.

Drakkar Noir reminds me of my dad.

And there's a very specific well-oiled skillet smell that reminds me of breakfast on Sunday mornings before church.

Cigars remind me of Will.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • My Mom wore Shalimar, and I still love the scent.  I kept my Dad's bottle of skin bracer aftershave, and I'll take a whiff now and then to remind me of him.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Lilac reminds me of my mom because she loves lilacs so we always had lilacs in the house when the bush was blooming.
    Gardenias make me think of my grandma. She lived in Florida during the winter and I remember being there one time and the breeze blowing through her house almost always smelled of gardenias.
    Jasmine reminds me of college because our neighbor had a huge jasmine plant.
    Axe body spray reminds me of my ex.
    Head and Shoulders makes me think of H.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:4de6c1d2-09ce-4964-9644-dd09f6ce9d11">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]the other day I was walking through the drug store and all of a  sudden I could smell <strong>Love's Baby Soft.</strong>  It took me straight back to 5th grade. 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

YES! My sisters wore that...I used to steal a few spritzes.
  • We play cornhole a lot here.  (Please google if you don't know, it's not dirty.)

The bags are filled with ground corn or corn feed.  We were playing last summer, and the bags got a little wet.  They started smelling like the small barn where my grandfather kept the corn cobs all year to feed the horses.  It immediately brought back memories of running around the farm with him.
    I stopped playing the game and sat down smelling the bags like an idiot and almost started crying.
    Important factors include: the farm was auctioned off, my grandfather died a few months prior, and I had been drinking for 6 hours. Not a good combination.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The smell of grilled anything brings me to the summer...ahhh!
  • My hometown in the summertime smells like dirt, cow shiit, and raspberries.

The smell of sunscreen reminds me of band camp (when it should remind me of the beach, but oh well!).

My exH wore Hugo Boss, blegh. Will wears nothing and I love it.

My great-grandmother (she was very elegant) always smelled like baby powder and scotch LOL
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • We play cornhole a lot here.

Wrkn- We play that here too, and I said something about cornhole to one of my friends that isn't from the Midwest and she was all "Whaaaaa? Cornhole? Isn't that like your poopshoot during the summer?"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:8c1c98d0-d716-4794-b22d-1aa26677f57d">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]My great-grandmother (she was very elegant) always smelled like baby powder and scotch LOL
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

My grandmother always smelled like scotch and cigarettes! LOL
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:413585b2-d94c-4a4b-98f6-179304134c32">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We play cornhole a lot here.</strong>  (Please google if you don't know, it's not dirty.) The bags are filled with ground corn or corn feed.  We were playing last summer, and the bags got a little wet.  They started smelling like the small barn where my grandfather kept the corn cobs all year to feed the horses.  It immediately brought back memories of running around the farm with him. I stopped playing the game and sat down smelling the bags like an idiot and almost started crying. Important factors include: the farm was auctioned off, my grandfather died a few months prior, and I had been drinking for 6 hours. Not a good combination.
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

Dude, too funny.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:52d3a6bd-4086-47dd-a8ea-277e904fc686">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE] When Ben and I got back together (the last time before we got married, lol) he was still wearing Hugo Boss and he totally wore that when I knew him in 7th grade.  The first time I danced with him at a school dance I could smell it on him and when I went home, I was totally just inhaling it until I went to sleep because it was on my shirt.  ...lol
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

My best guy friend in high school wore Hugo, too. That is one of my favorite smells in the world. Definitely brings me back to high school and cruising around in his car.

Spearmint gum brings me back to high school too, but I suppose that is more of a taste thing.
  • This happens to me a lot. But it's usually random spells that take me back to some random memory. So I usually don't remember specific incidents. The only one that always happen is Jasmine. It reminds me of the first guy I fooled around with. It had to be the soap he used or something. Whenever I smell Jasmine it just makes me angry.

Apparently my mom and aunt always used White Shoulders when they were teenagers. A few months ago my mom and I were in TJ Maxx and someone had opened a bottle. It brought her back so much that she bought a gift set for my aunt for her birthday. She loved it. It was really cute.

Also, I grew up in MI and then moved to NC. I come home from high school one day and tell my mom I'm going over to a male friends house to play cornhole. Opps. Apparently where she grew up it was slang for butt sex. Hello awkward conversation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:f13d543c-4700-40d9-bc4b-e56a1af8fd63">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]This happens to me a lot. But it's usually random spells that take me back to some random memory. So I usually don't remember specific incidents. The only one that always happen is Jasmine. It reminds me of the first guy I fooled around with. It had to be the soap he used or something. Whenever I smell Jasmine it just makes me angry. Apparently my mom and aunt always used White Shoulders when they were teenagers. A few months ago my mom and I were in TJ Maxx and someone had opened a bottle. It brought her back so much that she bought a gift set for my aunt for her birthday. She loved it. It was really cute.<strong> Also, I grew up in MI and then moved to NC. I come home from high school one day and tell my mom I'm going over to a male friends house to play cornhole. Opps. Apparently where she grew up it was slang for butt sex. Hello awkward conversation.</strong>
    Posted by OutOfTheBlue612[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Cornhole always makes me think of Beavis and Butthead.. 

</div>
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I bought some of those non-stick headbands last summer. It was driving me crazy, because I knew the smell from somewhere.  H finally sniffed 'em and went "oh! those smell like Koosh balls!" haha (I'm guessing it's the same cheap 'rubber' stuff.)

Someone the other day had on Gap's "Heaven" scent (the green stuff?). It totally brought me back to jr. high. 
  • My ex wore Preferred Stock and to this day I can't smell it without thinking of him.

I wore Bath and Body Works Black Currant Vanilla spray on my wedding day since H liked it, and so whenever I smell it, I think of autumn and our wedding.

I can't stand the smell of Garnier Fructis shampoo.  In my junior year of college, I got a phone call that a friend of mine had died suddenly of misdiagnosed thyroid cancer.  I didn't cry when I first heard about it, but for some reason I broke down and sobbed when I was in the shower.  Now every time I smell that shampoo, I think about that day.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:d9693929-6285-49c3-8d27-374f1e1be49f">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]We play cornhole a lot here. Wrkn- We play that here too, and I said something about cornhole to one of my friends that isn't from the Midwest and she was all "Whaaaaa? Cornhole? Isn't that like your poopshoot during the summer?"
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'm glad someone knew what I was talking about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:89748c0f-3cb4-4687-9c45-78260a8ae85d">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE] Someone the other day had on <strong>Gap's "Heaven"</strong> scent (the green stuff?). It totally brought me back to jr. high. 
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I remember those...Heaven, Earth, Rain and I think there was one more
  • YES!

That crappy men's cologne Cool Water will always remind of this dude I had a crush on in high school.

The store where I got my wedding dress is also the store where my mom gets the perfume she's been wearing for 25 years from. Walking into that store is like walking into my mom's closet.

Nivea hand lotion will always remind me of my dad.

I can't smell H any more. But when we lived apart, he had his own smell, ya know? I miss it. When we were LD, I would take a short he'd worn recently home with me so it had the smell. I'm gross and sentimental like that.

Gardenia always reminds me of spring time at my parents' house.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I used to wear the sh*t out of Gap Heaven. 

The smell of lilacs makes me think of my grandparents' old house.  They had a huge lilac tree in the back yard and I used to like to sit next to it and read.

Noodle's been wearing Aqua di Gio since we met, so whenever I smell it I get kinda excited because it makes me think of Noodle.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:e3952d89-2350-4a83-a536-5487d5b17aaa">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I used to wear the sh*t out of Gap Heaven</strong>.  The smell of lilacs makes me think of my grandparents' old house.  They had a huge lilac tree in the back yard and I used to like to sit next to it and read.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

<div>I know what I'm wearing tomorrow.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards