North Carolina

opinions please!

We are planning on having our wedding ceremony at Jones Lake State Park.

My Idea:  I would like to return to our backyard to have the reception (less than 30 minutes distance).  FI says "whatever you want to do is fine, I don't care." okay, that's NO help! So I would like you ladies to give me objective opinions....preferably from the guests' point of view. 

Reception plan for the backyard --  general mingling with the guests, BBQ and all the fixins, music, cake, and for later on in the evening, a bonfire (this is mostly for our age guests, since we are planning the ceremony for 12 pm and figuring the reception is probably going to start around 1:30 or so).  Also, possibly some lawn games as there will be several children/teenage guests, but not positive on this yet.

TIA!

Re: opinions please!

• wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like it could be a lot of fun to me. I'm a country girl so I love the backyard feel. One thing to keep in mind, backyard receptions aren't always cheaper. You will probably need to rent a lot of equipment and the costs can add up quickly. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Krystal!  The cost really isn't the issue, I am just trying to do something that reflects us and will be comfortable for most of our families.  My brother is actually going to be doing the BBQing (yes, just made that word right up) and he owns the grill, and our church will let us use tables and chairs, so the food and the dishes are going to be the main costs, but we all are really more 'stay at home and have a party' than 'go out to a fancy restaurant' people. 

Which brings up another question....what if I order those melamine type plates and glasses/cups from dollar tree and then donate them (after we wash them of course) to the church?  Does that sound too ridiculous? Thinking $2 per person for dishes isn't too bad. Especially since we are only inviting like 80 people or so to the wedding...and I have no idea how many will even want to go back to my house for a reception, that's my main concern at the moment.

Would you, if you were invited to a wedding that has a card saying "meet us back at the house for a Pig Pickin' "?    not necessarily with those exact words, by the way, lol
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Krystal...this can add up quickly...but it looks like you have plenty of time to save up since the wedding is next year.  GL!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll ask the question my dad posed to me when we were picking out reception locations separate from our ceremony location...What's the advantage of having the reception in your backyard as opposed to keeping it at the same place?  I've never been to Jones Lake State Park, but I've been to many other state parks, and what you've described could take place at a state park.

I have a feeling your answer may be similar to part of the answer I gave my dad, but I really appreciated him asking and making me think about it that way.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone, consider those questions before deciding.  You want to make sure you can do this and it be comfortable for everyone.  Can everyone use the house for bathrooms?  Is there enough room for everyone to park? 

On another note, I would love to come to someone's house for a pig pickin. One of our showers in May, is going to be a backyard pig pickin type deal.  I think it would be tons of fun, and you could have cornhole, horse shoes, or some other games for guests to play. 
  • edited December 2011

If you want alcohol at a reception, State Parks are definitely a no.  Drinking on the lake is ok as long as you are of age and not driving the boat, because the lake/waters of US is governed by the US Army Corps of Engineers.  However, drinking on State Park land is definitely a no no (State Parks are governed by a different entity), and the penalty varies depending on the State Park Ranger if you are caught.  I know of a few people who had to do lots of community service hours.  Yes, most of the time they don't really bother you unless you are creating a ruckus.  However, I'm sure they would be keeping their eyes on a wedding reception.    

Do you have a backup plan if it does happen to rain?

• edited December 2011
    I had a backyard wedding and reception, and it was so much fun. But there was a LOT of DIY to do that I wouldn't have had to worry about with a venue. A rain back up plan is imperative. I traced my date back 20 years and there was never rain, but it rained right after my ceremony on my wedding day.

GL!
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it all sounds fantastic.  If it really reflects who you are, then what could be better!  I say go for it!

And I don't think a 30 min drive to the reception is that far, although, I wouldn't go much farther then that.
  • edited December 2011
    That sounds like fun!!!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses!

Dawn -- That is one of the main reasons I was looking for a different place for the reception, since the lake is on state park land, alcohol is definitely not allowed. I think FI is planning for alcohol, but of course he won't think to tell me this until I get it all planned out at the park, lol.

Jessie --  We have 2 acres of backyard, and my brother lives behind us on another 2 and a half acres, so yes to the parking room.  Also, 2 baths in my house, another 2 at brother's, and 4 across the road at my mom and grandma's, so think we have that covered, but I hadn't thought about that til you asked, so thanks.

rain...yes, if it rains, we move to the church which is a quarter of a mile from my house...they have a huge shelter area where they do homecomings and things that we can use.  There's enough room to have the tables and still have cornhole or whatever games. 

BecW -- what kind of DIY stuff do you mean? I may need to do some things I haven't already thought of! Smile

Any more game suggestions would be great!
  • edited December 2011
    sounds like you have a lot of it figured out...but here's a thought...if you plan on alcohol and it rains...most churches do not allow alcohol at any part of their facility.  so you may want to ask that and if they don't allow for that, then you may want to find another back-up plan!  happy planning!
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses - but they will be in BLACK!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards