Attire & Accessories Forum

two brides, do the dress colors need to be the same

Hello, I could use your advice.  My fiance and I have very different skin tones; she is Filipino, I am so pale that translucent describes me best.  She looks best in white silk (slightly off-white but hardly).  I look best in ivory.  The dresses are in my bio.

I don't want us to look bad in pictures, but which is worse, dresses that aren't the same color, or dresses that don't look best with one of our complexions'?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: two brides, do the dress colors need to be the same

• My personal opinion would be for you both to find dresses that compliment each of you.  There's no reason why either of you should be uncomfortable or not feel as beautiful as you should on such an important day.  Find dresses you both love and look great in and smile big for the pictures! Laughing
  • My initial reaction is to ask..Are you more concerned with each of you feeling great and looking great or with being color coordinated?  If your preference is to look and feel great then each of you should choose whichever dress does that for you.  (Love the Alvina Valenta dress btw!)  It seems from your post that this is what you want so go for it!  It's your day!  Plus, IMO, you and guests will remember how you felt and the fun you had, not whether or not your dresses were the same color.   Plus, it seems as if the different color dresses reflect each of you and likely in more ways than just sking tone.  Keep in mind I am a bride who is not overwhelmingly focused on everything being color coordinated so my 2 cents reflects this!  Good luck!
  • People aren't going to notice - they're there to see you get married, not critique the exact shade of your gowns. Plus, your average person probably can't tell the difference between white, diamond white, ivory, eggshell, etc.

I think the important thing is that the colors flatter each of your skintones. It's not going to do you any good to have identical dresses just for photos, if those colors make one (or both of you) look washed out in every picture. It's like forcing a bridesmaid into wearing an unflattering dress *just* so she matches the other BMs ... sure, the dresses match, but does it really make the photos look nice if she looks like a stuffed sausage?
  • I would go into a bridal shop and try to put two dresses in different shades next to each other, see how it looks in person.  But I think you'll be more comfortable in slightly mismatched dresses that make you both look beautiful.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Just pick whichever dresses look the most beautiful on  you :]  You are individuals, not double mint twins! haha

I love love love that first dress in your bio, it's so pretty!
    Photobucket
  • I would wear what both of you are comfortable in.  I don't think it's going to matter if they aren't both the same shade of white, do with what you both feel comfortable in, and you'll both be beautiful.
  • definitely pick what is best for you, after all you each want to look your best on your wedding day! My fiance and I had a similar situation, so she took a swatch of my dress when she went to pick out hers to make sure the colors blended. Also if you dont get dresses by the same designer it is almost impossible to match the colors anyway.
  • I used to think that the colors had to be the same. But another knottie and her fiance had two very different (white and ivory) colored dresses and when I was looking at her bio, I couldn't tell the difference at all. And I am generally concerned with everything matching so the fact that I couldn't tell is definitely saying something.

If you are each comfortable, your smiles will reflect that and that is what makes a beautiful picture! Not the fact that you are both in the same color.

GL! I am sure no matter which one you choce (matching or non), you will have a beautiful day! :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards