Chit Chat

Wedding News

So had my bridesmaid meeting last Saturday (2 of the 3 local BM's showed up). It was a hit. I served mac and cheese and mini pizzas (we had all our kids there too LOL...10 kids between the 3 of us in all). 

We decided on the dress... I showed them the 2 I had in mind and they picked my favorite. We discussed price and I sent an email to the seamstress who I want to make them. My mom and sister will be going to get their dresses from Davids Bridal as they are wearing a different style and color from the BM"s. So now that ball is rolling. 

I started and finished my ring pillow today and it came out so cute. I am pretty happy with it. And it cost me the price of ribbon (Fmil sews so had all the material I needed). It's a heart shaped ring pillow and it was super easy to make (tutorial online at youtube). I also bought my garter yesterday but plan on making a 'keep' one. Also, Fmil offered to make my daughter's fg dress. 

My minor complaints:

1) well, one of my bridesmaids, D, was so excited to help me plan the wedding (was even a little upset-in a good way- that I didn't ask her to come with my at my bridal salon appointment). She offered to help me with anything I needed. She made a date for us to go downtown to look at shoes for the WP and all things wedding. Well, she cancelled on Monday and re-scheduled for Tuesday, only to cancel again. I think this might be an issue.

2) My other bridesmaid, C,  is so excited to be planning my shower, so much so, she doesn't even want me to help LOL... but my other BM, M, the one that forgot about the meeting and didn't answer her phone all day until the last minute, seems to not be too much into the wedding that much (her role). I wonder if she changed her mind and doesn't want to be in the WP anymore (and I would so understand as she has a some issues to deal with right now). Still have time, so we'll see how it goes.

3) My Fmil made 2 irksome comments today that left me LOL with my mom on the phone later on. First, when I showed her my finished ring pillow, she said "I don't know about this wedding, I think it would be nice if it were in a church...." so my wedding wont be nice because it's outdoors and not in a church. FI and I aren't religious, we don't even go to church. I am not Catholic (Fmil is) and pretty sure you have to be to get married in a Catholic church. 

Then when we were talking about the BM"s dresses (she brought it up), she asked me why I chose my BM, D... she said D is too fat and I should have chosen someone skinny. :O I was so shcoked she would say that. I don't care what size D is (who lost 30 lbs btw), but I love D and want her to stand up there with me. I just thougth it was odd Fmil would say that. 
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Wedding News

• whoa, that turned out LOOONG. Sorry!
  • 1) It won't be an issue if you don't make it an issue. If she cancels again, go without her.

2) She might not be into the planning aspect, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want to be there for you on your wedding day.

3) Ignore her and forget that comment. If we all got a quarter for everytime and in-law, future in-law or anyone like that said a disagreeable comment to us, we'd all be rich.

The rest of your planning sounds like it's going great, though! Are you having fun?
  • Thanks simply... yes, I am having so much fun. I usually get a bit stressed when I plan big events (kids birthdays, etc) but I am so calm right now. I do worry a bit about the budget, but what bride doesn't. LOL. It is so exciting to plan this. I do want to get more done though but i feel good about how the planning is going so far. 
  • bongebonge member
    First Comment
    As brides we all get really excited & forget that not everyone will be so excited. As time goes on that excitement combined with real life can fade for some people.

Forget bridesmaids have "roles" (because they just need to buy the dress & show up in it sober) & you will feel much better.

I had to lower my expectations too, it was hard but i was able to let go of my controlling (type a personality) nature & just go with the flow. Some are excited & help, some aren't, some get offended when i do it on my own (which i prefer mostly because then i have full say). You won't have everyone on the same level no matter what you do.

Other than that have fun :). I would have been pissed if my mother said something like that, but seeing as i am fat & she doesn't think like that about people she never would. That was pretty rude of her.
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • random4180random4180 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e4d949a7-54d6-4523-91b0-dfff91966fc4Post:a2f4b719-3866-44a1-ad15-eae058e35a41">Re: Wedding News</a>:
    [QUOTE]1) It won't be an issue if you don't make it an issue. If she cancels again, go without her. 2) She might not be into the planning aspect, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want to be there for you on your wedding day. 3) Ignore her and forget that comment. If we all got a quarter for everytime and in-law, future in-law or anyone like that said a disagreeable comment to us, we'd all be rich. The rest of your planning sounds like it's going great, though! Are you having fun?
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Completely agree on points one and two- one thing about your third issue; you don't have to both be Catholic to marry in the Catholic church but one of you does. If FI is Catholic, not marrying in a church IS actually a big deal (which he may not realize, I didn't until I was wedding planning.) Not at all saying your wedding won't be beautiful or anything like that but it is something to think about- again, if one of you is Catholic. If only the FMIL is, then she should probably realize that there's no point in getting married in a church if it doesn't mean anything to you. If that's the case, just wait it out and she'll (hopefully) realize this!

</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e4d949a7-54d6-4523-91b0-dfff91966fc4Post:0baa7b6f-086e-459a-9cd1-2870af120d32">Wedding News</a>:
    [QUOTE]So had my bridesmaid meeting last Saturday (2 of the 3 local BM's showed up). It was a hit. I served mac and cheese and mini pizzas (we had all our kids there too LOL...10 kids between the 3 of us in all).  We decided on the dress... I showed them the 2 I had in mind and they picked my favorite. We discussed price and I sent an email to the seamstress who I want to make them. My mom and sister will be going to get their dresses from Davids Bridal as they are wearing a different style and color from the BM"s. So now that ball is rolling.  I started and finished my ring pillow today and it came out so cute. I am pretty happy with it. And it cost me the price of ribbon (Fmil sews so had all the material I needed). It's a heart shaped ring pillow and it was super easy to make (tutorial online at youtube). I also bought my garter yesterday but plan on making a 'keep' one. Also, Fmil offered to make my daughter's fg dress.  My minor complaints: 1) well, one of my bridesmaids, D, was so excited to help me plan the wedding (was even a little upset-in a good way- that I didn't ask her to come with my at my bridal salon appointment). She offered to help me with anything I needed. She made a date for us to go downtown to look at shoes for the WP and all things wedding. Well, she cancelled on Monday and re-scheduled for Tuesday, only to cancel again. I think this might be an issue. 2) <strong>My other bridesmaid, C,  is so excited to be planning my shower, so much so, she doesn't even want me to help </strong>LOL... but my other BM, M, the one that forgot about the meeting and didn't answer her phone all day until the last minute, seems to not be too much into the wedding that much (her role). I wonder if she changed her mind and doesn't want to be in the WP anymore (and I would so understand as she has a some issues to deal with right now). Still have time, so we'll see how it goes. 3) My Fmil made 2 irksome comments today that left me LOL with my mom on the phone later on. First, when I showed her my finished ring pillow, she said "I don't know about this wedding, I think it would be nice if it were in a church...." so my wedding wont be nice because it's outdoors and not in a church. FI and I aren't religious, we don't even go to church. I am not Catholic (Fmil is) and pretty sure you have to be to get married in a Catholic church.  Then when we were talking about the BM"s dresses (she brought it up), she asked me why I chose my BM, D... she said D is too fat and I should have chosen someone skinny. :O I was so shcoked she would say that. I don't care what size D is (who lost 30 lbs btw), but I love D and want her to stand up there with me. I just thougth it was odd Fmil would say that. 
    Posted by librababy[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Regarding the bolded section, you shouldn't be planning your own shower anyway.

</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wedding-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:e4d949a7-54d6-4523-91b0-dfff91966fc4Post:519351c9-43a8-4c65-b388-d4d17b781eed">Re: Wedding News</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wedding News : Regarding the bolded section, you shouldn't be planning your own shower anyway.
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

• Thanks all. This wedding planning is still so new to me, I find out something everyday.

Oh and I wasn't planning the shower, I just wanted to help with decorations, set up, etc... (a bit of a control freak) but I am glad i don't have to. : )

And FI was raised Catholic but he is not a practicing Catholic (is that the way to say it)?  He does not really think of himself as Catholic anymore. So he doesn't want to get married in the church either. Just Fmil's ideals. I feel bad for her though and considered it but FI doesnt want it and really, neither do I. It'll be a nice wedding and I know she is happy but I also know she thinks the wedding will mean more if it's done in a church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards