Wedding Party

text speak makes me crazy!

This was a post on another forum I occasionally visit.  Perhaps it's not text speak:  just dopey abbreviations.  But really?  When people replied that they  had no idea what she was talking about, and then the responses jumped to how mean people were to criticize this writing style, I was stunned. 

any one need a volly tomm?

i am off tomm and looking for a way to vollunter tomm. i am in my twenties and all my friends and are family are working. anyone need any help tomm tue? email me

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146

Re: text speak makes me crazy!

• I don't even know that it's text speak.  It seems to be some sort of slang.
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Am I dumb?  What is tomm?

If she's in her twenties, she needs to learn to write proper english.

EDIT: after much brain power... does it mean tomorrow?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_text-speak-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:efb590b1-0920-415c-91d0-b60fed91b332Post:a310ccd5-a88c-49ac-a275-fe566b5c5879">Re: text speak makes me crazy!</a>:
    [QUOTE]EDIT: after much brain power... does it mean tomorrow?
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, apparently tomorrow is spelled with a double <em>m.  </em>If they write it out all the way I wonder if they'd spell it with only one <em>r</em>. </div>
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Looks like it's mainly illiteracy to me.

• I think that means tomorrow ... but I'm really not sure. I don't even use text speak when I text.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_text-speak-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:efb590b1-0920-415c-91d0-b60fed91b332Post:ed14fc78-d636-4390-822f-628a55e3f7e1">Re: text speak makes me crazy!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: text speak makes me crazy! : Yes, apparently tomorrow is spelled with a double m.   If they write it out all the way I wonder if they'd spell it with only one r . 
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

I honestly had the same thought.

Why make it harder than it is?  I don't get text speak.  I have a friend on Facebook who constantly writes: I need 2 go 2 work right now.

Is it so hard to write out to?  Really?
  • I would have guessed she was 12 and had dropped out of middle school based on the spelling.  But at least she's not assaulting Tomm any longer, whoever he is.
  • Yikes, it's barely English.  I never use text speak, it just makes me cringe.  If you want to be seen as someone with more than a middle school education, you need to have some writing skills! 

Especially in an anonymous internet situaiton--it's just doesn't make sense to me to not present yourself in the best way you can. (And not to mention--it makes everyone else's life a little easier figuring out what you wrote).
  • Another thing that drives me nuts is when people purposely misspell words.  Like werk instead of work.  I guess they just think it looks cool?  It's the same amount of letters so just spell it the right way!

Tomarrow is another huge one I see all the time on facebook.  I don't know if these people really don't understand how to spell tomorrow or if they just think tomarrow looks cool???
  • If I'm in a hurry I'll shorten it to tom.  I never text, but I email with my friends a lot.

I say she's uneducated.  She also wrote "volunter" instead of "volunteer".  I didn't realize that's whay volly was supposed to be.  At first I thought she was asking if anyone wanted to play volleyball.

If I was looking for volunteers, I'd take someone who writes better than a second-grader.
  • I have neices/nephews in Junior/High School.  This is normal these days.

I am appalled at what I hear about the way teachers grade/correct papers.  For example - my nephew had to write a paragraph on a certain subject - all that was graded was the content.  NO spelling or grammar was corrected.

On a math assignment - he was only graded on if he got the process correct - not if the answer was wrong (it was algebra or something).  Seems to me if you got the answer wrong, you're not working the math correctly.

And we wonder why we cannot compete educationally with other nations.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_text-speak-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:efb590b1-0920-415c-91d0-b60fed91b332Post:c998c1b4-f2b3-4c88-aeb9-e7eb4a206424">Re: text speak makes me crazy!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another thing that drives me nuts is when people purposely misspell words.  Like werk instead of work.  I guess they just think it looks cool?  It's the same amount of letters so just spell it the right way! <strong>Tomarrow</strong> is another huge one I see all the time on facebook.  I don't know if these people really don't understand how to spell tomorrow or if they just think tomarrow looks cool???
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

THIS!  Today is the first day of school.  Last night as I was perusing status updates, at least 3 people had it written this way.  I am a major spelling dork and I get irritated when people don't spell right! 

I occasionally type in text form, but the words I use are "IDK" and sometimes "PPL".  Other than that I don't shorten much.  I get bothered by "UR" and I have a friend who does "N" for and.  She has a keyboard phone, why doesn't she just use the &? She also uses "TMW" for tomorrow. Another one that bugs me is "DA" for the. You aren't ghetto and don't speak that way, why are you typing that way?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Well I spell it as colour, favour, odour. It doesn't mean illiteracy. English is spoken and spelt in different ways around the world. The language has evolved. Text speak is just a faster way of typing. Ignore it if you cant understand it.
    And yes a person could be a dropout, or dyslexic etc. and yet know how to use the internet. My brother is mentally challenged, (yes that's what it's called in my country), but he knows how to use the internet. Does that mean they shouldn't be posting online?
    "Freedom of expression" Ever heard of that one before?
    Please do not discriminate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_text-speak-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:efb590b1-0920-415c-91d0-b60fed91b332Post:c6701492-8c94-42f8-b983-de70bbda58e3">Re: text speak makes me crazy!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Well I spell it as colour, favour, odour.</strong> It doesn't mean illiteracy. English is spoken and spelt in different ways around the world. The language has evolved. Text speak is just a faster way of typing. Ignore it if you cant understand it. And yes a person could be a dropout, or dyslexic etc. and yet know how to use the internet. My brother is mentally challenged, (yes that's what it's called in my country), but he knows how to use the internet. Does that mean they shouldn't be posting online? "Freedom of expression" Ever heard of that one before? Please do not discriminate.
    Posted by orlterry[/QUOTE]

This is SO not the same. Look, I know you didn't like what you heard in response to your post on here, but you're just grasping at straws here trying to make people out to be insensitive. You spell things the British way because of where you're from - that's just as valid as someone from the US not including that "u."

Not knowing how to spell at all or abbreviating things in made-up ways is not valid, and when the only way you're communicating is through the written word, it makes you look dumb. That may be judgmental (in the sense that you are making a judgement), but it is not discriminatory. And of course people have the right to express themselves that way, just as other people have the right to comment on how uneducated it makes them look.
  • Orl:  not even close to being the same thing, and it was, IMO, a lame attempt to compare "colour" with "volly tomm". 

As it turns out, poster later implied he/she had learning disabilities in this well worded and far better spelled post.  So clearly, the initial post was just what:  lazy?  text message typing?  But clearly, not at all an inability to write coherently.

This was the f/u post:

i was thinking.... and i would love to meet other adults or famillies with learning disabilities or any kind. I was thinking maybe we can all meet up like once a month or somthing and learn from one another...and have fun..this could be like a group like the mom's club or somthing of like that. in this group people will not be judge. AND PLEASE IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE MEAN BE HAVE SOME RESPECT AND DO NOT RESPOND ON THIS THREAD. I think this could be a great group ! email me if you think you would want to be part of this group.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_text-speak-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:efb590b1-0920-415c-91d0-b60fed91b332Post:7f0ba7cd-e50f-4746-90e3-a6be0ce21c8c">Re: text speak makes me crazy!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have neices/nephews in Junior/High School.  This is normal these days. I am appalled at what I hear about the way teachers grade/correct papers.  For example - my nephew had to write a paragraph on a certain subject - all that was graded was the content.  NO spelling or grammar was corrected. On a math assignment - he was only graded on if he got the process correct - not if the answer was wrong (it was algebra or something).  Seems to me if you got the answer wrong, you're not working the math correctly. And we wonder why we cannot compete educationally with other nations.
    Posted by kjhowd[/QUOTE]

I teach math and chemistry at a community college.  I correct grammar and spelling, though it doesn't count.  Let me tell you, I definitely am looking for the correct answer!  I give partial credit if it's wrong because they mis-copied something (ie wrong problem).

I recently met a mother and her son from Serbia.  Did you know they require 8 years of bilogy over there (grades 5-12)?  It wasn't required at all in my school, just general science through 10th grade then one additional course. 
  • Well, I have cousins in Australia, and the way they speak and the words they use definitely bounces off my head at times.
    My point was not about the extra u.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards