Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What to Serve for a Brunch Reception?

Hello Brides,

So our wedding is on Sunday May 22nd at 12:30, recption immedietly following. We're setting it around a brunch style, buffet, and we're providing all of the food. Any suggestions on what to have for a buffet style brunch reception?

Re: What to Serve for a Brunch Reception?

• edited December 2011
    Eggs of varying styles, breakfast meats, potatoes, fish platters, salads, bagels, danish, fruit, cakes, mimosas ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I forgot a few--- Waffles or Pancakes! Quiche!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Think of things that can be produced en masse and taste good served from a heating dish.  Frittatas, country potatoes, coffee cake, etc.  Smoked salmon (cold) with all the condiments.  Mimosas and bloody Marys!
  • edited December 2011
    When you say you're providing all the food I assume you mean you are cooking yourself so I am tweaking my suggestions based on that fact and also making things that could truly double as breakfast and lunch. 

1) Quiche/frittata (basically the same thing, but quiche has crust).  So yummy, a true crowd pleaser and you can make it super fancy (i.ei., goat cheese, scallions and pancetta) or super homey (i.e., bacon and onion, peppers, and cheddar) based on your tastes.  Easy to cook for a group and as PP said, would go great in a heating pan.

2) Cheese grits.  This might be my southern side showing through, but grits are a real favorite down here and when they are cheesy they transition nicely from brunch into more savory lunch style foods. SOOO easy to cook. It takes about 20 minutes and will last for quite a while under a burner. 

3) Fresh fruit!!  Just a great thing to have on hand at any event. 

4) Ham carving station (you could also pre-carve).  Goes great with breakfasty items like eggs (the frittata!), but also will work as a lunch related item. You could serve hot rolls in a basket next to the ham with jars of mustard and mayo and the people in a lunchy mood could make little sandwiches. 

5) Waffle bread sticks.  I've seen this a couple times.  People basically use whatever batter they want to make belgian waffles and slice them into sticks.  You could use both a savory batter with cheese and bacon or something and a sweet batter with fresh fruit and cinnamon.

Hope this helps. That was fun to think of!! 
  • edited December 2011
    If you're doing all the cooking, then it has to be stuff that gets cooked in advance, right?

I think something like this would work - it's a bit more upscale than your scrambled eggs and bacon:

- Quiche (maybe a ham and cheese and a spinach and feta) or individual tarts
    - a strata (either savory [sausage and red pepper] or sweet [lemon-rasberry french toast]) 
    - poached salmon with dill-green onion sauce or salmon cakes
    - a great green salad with fruit (like something with early season strawberries and a poppyseed dressing)
    - fruit salad (maybe something like an ambrosia salad)
    - carved ham
    - mimosas
    - caesars (or bloody marys)
    - an interesting breakfast bread (like chocolate babka) or great bakery bread wih locally produced jams and jellies
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This French toast casserole is pretty darn amazing, and can be made ahead of time.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely include an omelette and a crepe station. Also, Mimosas/ Bellinis! 
  • kelseydjameskelseydjames member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That french toast casserole sounds perfect! Yumm. We definitely want an egg type dish as well, probably a fritta type deal. No alcohol however.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards