Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Lasik

Anyone had it done? Or know anyone who had it done?

I just got put back on my dad's health insurance and he's got some killer vision insurance that I'd only have to pay 30% of the cost of it... I'm seriously contemplating it, as I'm very very very nearsighted (put your hand about 12 inches from your face. That's where it starts getting blurry) and I'd love to not have to worry about glasses or contacts. I'm just a little worried about someone effing with my eyes.

comments? suggestions? testimonials?
Anniversary
TTC since 12/17/11
BFP 02/19/2012
M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lasik

• amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my good friends at home had it done and she loves it.  She said she has no regrets and didn't have any problems.  I've been thinking about it, but I need to wait until my eyes stop changing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My dad had it done.  He was considered legally blind without corrective vision (nearsighted), so he was really happy to finally have it done.

Well, not so much anymore.  He has had the procedure done twice, and still has to wear glasses.  His eyesight went fuzzy after each procedure, about a year afterwards.  Mind you, the glasses rx is nowhere near as bad as it was, but it's still annoying to pay and then find out you still need glasses.

Just make sure that you are definitely the prime candidate.  Many things knock you out of the running- astigmatism is the first one that comes to mind, but there are others as well.

I got his eyesight.  Lucky me.
  • edited December 2011

Awesome. I have an astigmatism.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have it checked.  I know I can't get it because my astigmatism is so bad, but if you have only a slight amount, you may still qualify- though I still wouldn't go for it.  That was one of the things that caused my dad's eyes to go fuzzy; he only has a slight amount, but it was enough to make it fuzzy and a PITA.
  • edited December 2011

A few coworkers of mine have had it done, and they love it.  Can't hurt to have a consult, right?

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    There are other procedures you have done such as permanent implants etc. so I would see a Dr to see what they can do for you.  

I really want something done, but it grosses me out.  
  • lisalaroclisalaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am pretty sure you can get it done with astigmatism - my FI has it and was discussing with my cousin who works in the field and she didn't stay astigmatism automatically meant you were out.

She also mentioned that it makes your eyes more dry over time so if you already have issues with dry eyes and using drops, it probably isn't the best choice.

I would say go for the consult and see what they say!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • bballgirl8789bballgirl8789 member
    edited December 2011
    My Uncle Mark got it done several years ago and had a great experience.  He is soo glad that he doesn't have to bother with glasses or contacts anymore.  I know that I eventually want to get it done, because I am also very near-sighted.  I have to hold a book several inches from my face to be able to read it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • teacup0618teacup0618 member
    edited December 2011
    You definitely can get lasik with an astigmatism. Im in the optical business. Not everyone is a candidate, but it wouldnt hurt to get a consultation. I know a few people who had it and havent had any problems.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much guys. I thought it made sense to take advantage of an opportunity like this... I mean, only paying 30%? I'll have to start researching doctors in the area.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • edited December 2011

BEST THING EVER!! I was so nervous, but it was the best decision ever!

I was in your boat, blind as a bat couldn't see right in front of me- contacts were     -7.0. had it done in May '09. could see immediately and haven't had any problems since. the first few days you have to constantly put in drops and its a little dry, but other than that painless. it took all of 5 minutes and just a little uncomfortable not pain at all (and I'm a huge baby!)

I got it done at Kremer in KOP, highly recommend it!! PM if you want more info!  

• edited December 2011
    I agree with Cutie...BEST thing I ever did for myself!  Had it done 4 years ago in "06 and not a problem since. Was a -6.0 in contacts with astigmatisms to boot!  I'm light blue eyed and they say blue eyes have the most complications. But none here!!  Was totally nervous but the procedure was super quick and painless.  I went to Dr. MIchael Kay who is associated with Wills Eye Hospital in Philly. I am personally close with 3 other people who went to him and had a great experience.  Good luck!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards