Catholic Weddings

Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?

Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:828f6b3b-e428-423f-9324-280f93406be1">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]okay, gotcha I think that a wedding in a Catholic church may not be the best idea here as neither one of you are practicing Catholics.   If FI doesn't care and your FILS don't care, I'd suggest looking at something more like the site you posted.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]
    Sweet. Thanks so much everyone for the feedback!

Agape hun, I'm sure you don't mean too, but your tone here kinda sucks. Aren't you supposed to be bringing people TO God and not chasing them away? Because you're kinda more in Chasing Away mode here...
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please do not patronize me.

There was absolutely no tone in what I said. I honestly thought you wanted real answers to your questions about open communion and such, so I said what the church believed. If you call a chancery, the authority in the church, they will tell you the same thing I did. Telling you that the church believes in the real presence is a tone that chases you away?

So because I'm not encouraging you to do something I find offensive to my faith, I have a tone of chasing away? This schismatic group (and that is the official name of this group) is mocking what the Church does.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:f0fcda3e-4512-489c-b382-28aa1bd5f964">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Ghoti, "hun", don't patronize me. I had no tone. It was tone-less. You asked the questions about what it meant, and I was telling you what the faith believed. I honestly thought that you actually wanted real answers. If you call a chancery (an actual authority in the church, not a message board) they will tell you the same thing I did. It seems that because I'm not encouraging you to do something I find offensive as a mockery of my faith. Only the people that are encouraging you have the right "tone"?
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Look, agape, she's NOT Catholic, her FI is non practicing and her FILS don't care.  She's looking at this site to possibly find a officiant for her wedding.  That's not against the Catholic church at all.  She's protestant and out of the jurisdiction
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:254e1485-b3b2-45fb-9c6a-855351a5ad01">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please do not patronize me. There was absolutely no tone in what I said. I honestly thought you wanted real answers to your questions about open communion and such, so I said what the church believed. If you call a chancery, the authority in the church, they will tell you the same thing I did. Telling you that the church believes in the real presence is a tone that chases you away? So because I'm not encouraging you to do something I find offensive to my faith, I have a tone of chasing away? This schismatic group (and that is the official name of this group) is mocking what the Church does.

As much as I wouldn't use them for my wedding or suggest them for someone who wanted a legitimate Catholic wedding, I don'tsee anything wrong with OP using them. She stated already that she's not Catholic, her FI doesn't practice and her FILS don't care.

Why create a problem where there is none?  So it's not for me, it could be good for her.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:9a63aa3e-fd24-4a7a-972a-88e200acb864">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Look, agape, she's NOT Catholic, her FI is non practicing and her FILS don't care.  She's looking at this site to possibly find a officiant for her wedding.  That's not against the Catholic church at all.  She's protestant and out of the jurisdiction

A schismatic group is indeed against the Catholic church.

They don't care about validity, I understand that. That is a separate issue.
    edited December 2011
    I can't see how this group is mocking but I haven't read the complete text.

Rent a Priest has been around for ages.  I wouldn;t use them but some people choose to.

CHOICE is the key word here
    edited December 2011
    So are they ex priests or never were priests?

If they are not really priests, they're not doing harm by serving communion to "illicit" masses, right?
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:9a63aa3e-fd24-4a7a-972a-88e200acb864">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Look, agape, she's NOT Catholic, her FI is non practicing and her FILS don't care.  She's looking at this site to possibly find a officiant for her wedding.  That's not against the Catholic church at all.  She's protestant and out of the jurisdiction

You are correct in that it would not be a problem for Ghoti personally; this organization is not in opposition to her own beliefs, or at least she feels she could work with them personally. There is a problem however, in associating with this organization in general, and that is that it claims to be Catholic yet isn't. As a Catholic, I find it offensive. They are not Roman Catholic--they themselves admit to not being with Rome. So essentially, they are a Protestant church pretending to be Catholic. Additionally, from what I can tell, from the Cacina Catholic website (associated with this group) the priests are validly ordained, which opens up a whole other problem of valid Eucharist being distributed to non-believers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Agape -
    I think Ghoti meant your general posting tone, not specifically this thread.  Your tone can be a little, ummmm, sledgehammer-ish.  You probably don't mean to come across that way, but you have to remember this is a message board, so there is no other emotion than what you convey through your posts.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:59a29dc3-3a16-4101-b618-ea85bb6eaa9a">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agape - I think Ghoti meant your general posting tone, not specifically this thread.  Your tone can be a little, ummmm, sledgehammer-ish.  You probably don't mean to come across that way, but you have to remember this is a message board, so there is no other emotion than what you convey through your posts.
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

She said because of this thread.

Yes, no emotion in a message board, so how can someone infer what is not there?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:ab52ee86-b206-456c-b013-bc3f815fbd8b">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So are they ex priests or never were priests? If they are not really priests, they're not doing harm by serving communion to "illicit" masses, right?

It seems they were validly ordained, then have removed themselves from Communion with Rome.  They have been removed of their faculties to do masses, which makes them illicit.
    This is a valid but illicit Eucharist, which means it is open up to all kinds of potential of being profaned. Once a priest, always a priest, which means they possess the ability to consecrate the bread and wine, but not the permission to do
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:c4bd834e-f142-451e-be52-aaf2f202a8d6">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Serious question - are you offended by any non-Catholic denomination that claims to be Christian? Because in protestant faiths, priests are not ordained by Rome, communion is symbolic rather than the occurance of transubstantiation, and in many divorcees are allowed to remarry. Most even recognize civil marriage as valid, since marriage is not a sacrament (at least not in the Calvinist tradition and I believe anabaptist, as well as others). So I don't see how this is much different. It's not REALLY Catholic, but it seems to be taking the traditional mass and using that as a basis for worship. I understand that some Catholics might feel comfortable attending a familiar "mass" but may not hold the same beliefs in regard to the catholic faith that they once did. Therefore, this choice may be comforting.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not offended by non-Catholic denominations.  I'm offended by a priest who is ordained in the catholic church leaving communion with the church then mocking the sacraments. The Mass is the central part of the Catholic faith....the statement of belief in the Catholic faith, it doesn't make sense to have it outside of communion with the Church.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:543d2bfc-2eb5-4165-a77d-b47b5af7059c">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm, lost post, but it's probably for the best. I don't want to argue, I'm just saying you could gain to work on your phrasing. If I wanted to call a chancery (whatever that is) I would. Instead I asked here, and got some great feedback, so thanks for that. :D Cheers!
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Ghoti,

You said I had a tone of "Chasing away" and all I did was simply answer what I thought were honest questions about what the church believed about being free to marry, etc. I answered that with the fact that a chancery will tell you the same thing...hence, no tone in my reply.
  • edited December 2011

Hm, this thread has some weird posting times going on and everything is out of order.

I haven't heard of this group.  As others noted, and got attacked for, they aren't in communion with the Roman Catholic Church and are a schismatic group.  If that doesn't matter to you Ghoti, then so be it.  But you are posting on the Catholic Weddings board, so it's not surprising that it does matter to a lot of members of this board.

(As an analogy, it would be kind of like posting a question about sex on the Christian Weddings board... and then getting upset when a lot of the posters responded that they are waiting until marriage.  Know your audience.)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:59a29dc3-3a16-4101-b618-ea85bb6eaa9a">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agape - I think Ghoti meant your general posting tone, not specifically this thread.  Your tone can be a little, ummmm, sledgehammer-ish.  You probably don't mean to come across that way, but you have to remember this is a message board, so there is no other emotion than what you convey through your posts.
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

As a long-time lurker, I will say that although I don't always agree with Agape's arguments, her tone has been shifting lately, and I think she is trying to take a softer approach.  But a lot of the attacks against her seem to be simply because she's saying "well, this is what the Church teaches."  Now, it might not matter to the OP (of this or any other thread) what the Church teaches, but inasmuch as this is the Catholic Weddings board, I think what the Catholic Church teaches is relevant on most threads.

I can point out a poster in this thread whose approach is usually far harsher, and meaner, than Agape's.  That poster was relatively restrained in this thread, as was Agape -- so why single Agape out for personal criticism?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:8acdc751-8c16-4ee3-9bdb-4f590c1a42d0">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Ghoti, You said I had a tone of "Chasing away" and all I did was simply answer what I thought were honest questions about what the church believed about being free to marry, etc. I answered that with the fact that a chancery will tell you the same thing...hence, no tone in my reply.

Thanks, I can't explain it, but others answered the same question thouroughly without the tone that you aren't seeing. I didn't ask a chancery, I asked fellow brides. :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:fbbded96-4cfd-4b64-86a8-c71c11c1dacd">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : You are correct in that it would not be a problem for Ghoti personally; this organization is not in opposition to her own beliefs, or at least she feels she could work with them personally. There is a problem however, in associating with this organization in general, and that is that it claims to be Catholic yet isn't. As a Catholic, I find it offensive. They are not Roman Catholic--they themselves admit to not being with Rome. So essentially, they are a Protestant church pretending to be Catholic. Additionally, from what I can tell, from the Cacina Catholic website (associated with this group) the priests are validly ordained, which opens up a whole other problem of valid Eucharist being distributed to non-believers.
    Posted by KatieAnne18[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your reply.
    Since they straight up say they aren't Roman Catholic, how is it offensive? I mean, if they were pretending to still be Roman Catholic, then that's one thing. But they aren't essentially Protestant, since "we" don't believe in praying to the saints for one, and Catholics do. There are a few other differences as well. It seems like the biggest thing is these guys have stepped out of the box with the intent of bringing more people in? How can that be offensive or a bad thing?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:9a2adc2e-5c29-4173-bdc7-56ad8efd66ea">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : She said because of this thread. Yes, no emotion in a message board, so how can someone infer what is not there?
    Because there are emotions in words.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:726b7783-1423-45f0-8e0c-892053fd96d8">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hm, this thread has some weird posting times going on and everything is out of order. I haven't heard of this group.  As others noted, and got attacked for, they aren't in communion with the Roman Catholic Church and are a schismatic group.  If that doesn't matter to you Ghoti, then so be it.  But you are posting on the Catholic Weddings board, so it's not surprising that it does matter to a lot of members of this board. (As an analogy, it would be kind of like posting a question about sex on the Christian Weddings board... and then getting upset when a lot of the posters responded that they are waiting until marriage.  Know your audience.)
    Posted by GulfCoaster[/QUOTE]

I asked here specifically because Fi's family is Catholic, his Gram is really catholic, his parents less and him even less, but I liked the idea of incorperating it into the wedding and wanted to know if it would be offensive to bring it up. It seems like the answer is no. But that aside, I'm actually enjoying this board, I'm learning a ton.

Aaannnd I win the thread hog award LOL.
  • edited December 2011
    I have never heard of Contemporary Catholics before.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i think if you know up front that this organization is not in communion with rome, adn you choose to use them and are ok with that, then so be it. 

i think this verbiage is extremely misleading:

We are Catholic sharing our history with other Catholic communities yet outside the Roman jurisdiction.  You, like many before you, are probably surprised to learn that there are "other" Catholic communities.  We serve Catholics in the Roman jurisdiction and others faith communities seeking the sacraments. 

IIn the first sentence is says they are "outside the roman jurisdiction" yet the second sentence they say they serve catholics in the roman jurisdiction, and "seeking the sacraments" can imply the sacraments are valid.

if one is well versed in catholicism, they will see this is not legit in terms of fulfilling any catholic sacraments/requirements.  however, those who are not as well versed in their faith, might be newcomers to the faith, or have been away for a period of time might genuinely believe this can give them what they are seeking and be valid in the eyes of teh Church.

edited December 2011
    ok, this one is really misleading:

Recognition by the Roman Catholic church
    Each jurisdiction has its own criteria for recognition of sacraments. The Mission of St John the Beloved Apostle is not affiliated with the Roman Catholic church. Through apostolic succession in the Old (Dutch) Catholic tradition, we celebrate the same sacraments as those in the Roman and Orthodox communities. Your marriage will be legal with the state and a sacrament in the eyes of God.

it says "not affiliated with the Roman Catholic church"  so taht tells you tehy are not in communion wtih rome.  but then tehy say the last sentence "and a sacrament in the eyes of God". 

whether this organization is "offensive" i'm not sure.  but misleading and troubling?  yes, IMO.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:a41ed419-dd8c-49ce-8f90-5fd90bd31ddb">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok, this one is really misleading: Recognition by the Roman Catholic church Each jurisdiction has its own criteria for recognition of sacraments. The Mission of St John the Beloved Apostle is not affiliated with the Roman Catholic church. Through apostolic succession in the Old (Dutch) Catholic tradition, we celebrate the same sacraments as those in the Roman and Orthodox communities. Your marriage will be legal with the state and a sacrament in the eyes of God. it says "not affiliated with the Roman Catholic church"  so taht tells you tehy are not in communion wtih rome.  but then tehy say the last sentence "and a sacrament in the eyes of God".  whether this organization is "offensive" i'm not sure.  but misleading and troubling?  yes, IMO.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I haveaquestion, couldn't it just mean that they celebrate the same way? And that like other Christian religions, it will be legal in the eyes of God? It doesn't say legal in the eyes of the Pope right? Because if I was to be married by my Pastor, it would be legal in both the state and in the eyes of God?

Agape (or whomever), why don't Roman Catholics believe in second marriages, when in the Bible there were several key "dudes" who had multiple wives?
    edited December 2011

sure, legal the way other christian religions are.  but the way this one is worded, some could interpret it to mean legal in the eyes of god and the catholic church, since its a "catholic" organization.  also because tehy say essentially, "if the "real" catholic church wont give you the sacraments, we will" and it will be legal in the eyes of god (catholic god?). 

the other thing to think of is this.

catholic attendees at your wedding might not realize this is a schismatic group, right />?  so they will process up and take communion, assuming its (for lack of a better phrase) "legit" catholic communion.  if i knjew going into this it was an organization/wedding service not in communion with rome, then i wouldnt take communion. 

also, the church isnt anti-second marriages.  the church just requests that proper annulments take place in order for a second marriage to be performed.  sometimes those annulments are granted, sometimes not, depending upon the circumstances.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:7a601082-0265-4377-b684-7c48ea9b28e8">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]sure, legal the way other christian religions are.  but the way this one is worded, some could interpret it to mean legal in the eyes of god and the catholic church, since its a "catholic" organization.  also because tehy say essentially, "if the "real" catholic church wont give you the sacraments, we will" and it will be legal in the eyes of god (catholic god?).  the other thing to think of is this. catholic attendees at your wedding might not realize this is a schismatic group, right />?  so they will process up and take communion, assuming its (for lack of a better phrase) "legit" catholic communion.  if i knjew going into this it was an organization/wedding service not in communion with rome, then i wouldnt take communion.  also, the church isnt anti-second marriages.  the church just requests that proper annulments take place in order for a second marriage to be performed.  sometimes those annulments are granted, sometimes not, depending upon the circumstances.

Interesting.
    Re the communion, to a protestant, it's symbolic, it wouldn't matter who served it to me, if that makes sense, its the meaning and symbolism I put into it. Is that not the same thing as Catholics?
    edited December 2011
    as i think someone prior mentioned, catholics believe in the true presence.  when we accept communion in a catholic church, we truly beleive it to be the body and blood of christ.  whereas you stated correctly, for protestants its merely symbolic.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:ee11bb18-3c3c-493b-abfa-f49e26a39fac">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]as i think someone prior mentioned, catholics believe in the true presence.  when we accept communion in a catholic church, we truly beleive it to be the body and blood of christ.  whereas you stated correctly, for protestants its merely symbolic.
    So you believe that wine is Jesus's blood?

Thats a good point about the guests thinking it was a "real" catholic ceremony, I didn't think of that. We wouldn't be doing communion though, really I just like the "rolly" way the priest looks and he seems to have an attitude I can relate to. I want to do handfasting, but I don't know what that entails "catholic-ly", so I still have to talk to him.
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:f254ba7b-a560-4869-b2c5-6c661bb1663d">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : So you believe that wine is Jesus's blood?
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Yes, we believe that the wine becomes 100% Jesus' blood, and the bread becomes 100% His body. For us to receive either Protestant or illicit communion would be to say that we are ok with believing its just a Sacrament.
    edited December 2011
    yes, we do believe that as katie said.

i guess if you two dont want a catholic ceremony, the best thing to do is find a non-denominational religious ceremony.  i think that to your FI's family, a faux catholic ceremony might come across as more offensive than if you just married outside of the church altogether.  i think doing what is true to your personal beliefs is most important, rather than trying to accomodate the wishes of your FIs family.

good luck!
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:7a22c142-6774-4fa3-bf34-e525d6367eab">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Thanks for your reply. Since they straight up say they aren't Roman Catholic, how is it offensive? I mean, if they were pretending to still be Roman Catholic, then that's one thing.[/QUOTE]

They don't claim to be Roman Catholic, true, but they have a lot of confusing wording, and someone less well-versed might not realize that "outside the Roman jusirsiction" means not Catholic, or they might not read that far into the website, or they might attend one of their services and not realize that its not Roman Catholic. Its not really that straight forward.

[QUOTE]But they aren't essentially Protestant, since "we" don't believe in praying to the saints for one, and Catholics do. [/QUOTE]

I would say that they are Protestant in the sense that they are a branch off of the Catholic Church. Like, they are "protesting" some of the ways of the Church and therefore have made their own organization.

[QUOTE]There are a few other differences as well. It seems like the biggest thing is these guys have stepped out of the box with the intent of bringing more people in? How can that be offensive or a bad thing?
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Bringing more people in=good. Stepping out of the box is fine. Breaking the rules of the Church? Not ok. For example... they do outdoor weddings, probably to "bring more people in." But there is a reason for not allowing outdoor weddings, and in my opinion its a very good reason. (A marriage should be God-focused and therefore should begin in a church, in the real physical presence [see post about the Eucharist] of God).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards