Honeymoon Discussions

London, Paris & Rome

Did anyone do all three? How did you book it? Did you take the train from place to place or fly?

Re: London, Paris & Rome

• I've been to Paris.  FI and I spent four days there and didn't get to see near enough!  I wouldn't recommend doing all three unless you have nearly a week to devote to each city.
  • its easier to take the chunnel between london and paris. the paris to rome train is an overnighter, probably close to the same price as a flight.
  • We are thinking of doing the exact same 3 cities for our honeymoon.

I've looked at www.europeandestinations.com. I've googled all their reviews. Most are good reviews, no problems. Some look like they had difficulties with the hotels or flights. This site allows you to book everything all at once, with hotels, whether by plane or train. You can also add tours. The prices seem pretty reasonable when you add everything up, as opposed to doing it all yourself.

Our plans, if we do this, are to spend 3-4 days in each location. We are the type of people that just want to see the "highlights" of each city; we love history, so that would be our focus: museums, touristy-things, historical buildings. Getting an indepth feel for each city, or seeing a lot of countryside isn't something we are that interested in.

Since I've never been to any of them, I can't give you more advice.
  • I would really, really rethink this.  Like someone else said, unless you have plenty of time to devote to each city in turn.

Honestly, this just seems like such a huge waste.  Pick one country and really *see* it, don't just flit around seeing the "highlights".  Really.  Lame, PP.  You're better off just not leaving the US if you're going to do that.
  • Like PP said, there is a lot to do in each place you've picked. And traveling often times leaves you tired.  I studied abroad in London and took trips to Rome and Paris.
    It was actually cheapest to fly for us because we didn't book months in advanace.
    We flew Ryanair, but I wouldn't recomend using it beacuse they have airports that are out side the city by an hour or more, but flights are cheap. I wanted to take the chunnel but it was too much for us.

I think that if you could do 4-5 days in each you would see the majority of it but it would leave you wanting to come back.
    These are 3 of my favorite places though. :)
  • I live in London, but haven't been to the other two cities. 
    I don't think you should do all three in the same trip unless you have a month or so.  

If someone was coming to the US what would you say if they wanted to do Boston, NYC and then Orlando?  Only in the Europe situation you have two difference currencies and three different languages.  

I would stick to London and Paris or do Italy.  

If you have questions about London/ England page me on the Philadelphia or May 2011 pages.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_london-paris-rome?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:8d42c045-12e0-46b9-b026-26db3f6b74e4Post:9b2b952d-890d-44d8-ba8b-1897c56adbb8">Re: London, Paris & Rome</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in London, but haven't been to the other two cities.  I don't think you should do all three in the same trip unless you have a month or so.   <strong>If someone was coming to the US what would you say if they wanted to do Boston, NYC and then Orlando? </strong> Only in the Europe situation you have two difference currencies and three different languages.   I would stick to London and Paris or do Italy.   If you have questions about London/ England page me on the Philadelphia or May 2011 pages.  
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

That's a great way to put it NCV.  I've never thought of it the same way before, but it's a perfect analogy.
  • This was our original plan for our honeymoon, but we decided to cut out Rome and go to Brugge, Belgium instead to have more a of a relaxed last few days, since London and Paris we'll most likely be busy busy busy.

I agree with the PPs that said not to do them all. For me, I've already been to London and Paris before ,so spending 4-5 days in each place (3 days in Brugge) is ok for me , but I still wish I could have more time! There's just so much to do and see. And it's so awesome to be able to actually experience what the culture is like, and what it's like to live there. That's my favorite part honestly (which is why I just keep coming back! This will be my 3rd time to London. I love it!). I'd say either just do London and Paris and spend extra time in each place, or just do Italy (with Rome, Florence & Pisa, or something of the like).

Hope that helps! I'm sure you'll have a great honeymoon no matter what!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_london-paris-rome?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:8d42c045-12e0-46b9-b026-26db3f6b74e4Post:9b2b952d-890d-44d8-ba8b-1897c56adbb8">Re: London, Paris & Rome</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in London, but haven't been to the other two cities.  I don't think you should do all three in the same trip unless you have a month or so.   <strong>If someone was coming to the US what would you say if they wanted to do Boston, NYC and then Orlando?</strong>  Only in the Europe situation you have two difference currencies and three different languages.   I would stick to London and Paris or do Italy.   If you have questions about London/ England page me on the Philadelphia or May 2011 pages.  
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

That's funny you say that because that trip was ALWAYS advertized in the city where I lived in Spain.  It is a good way of putting it, however, we shouldn't assume that OP is only spending a short amount of time there.  I had friends that got married and just finished grad school and are spending a little over a month in S. America (lucky!). 

I did London & Paris in one week, however, I was in both cities before so I didn't feel rushed to see everything possible.  I do agree adding Rome may be a little too much though.  I think if anything, it might be easier to do London-Paris-Brussels or London-Paris- Amsterdam. But really, it all depends on your travel style.  If you like to just relax and not feel rushed, I would really stick to two cities.  Good luck.
  • I went to Italy 3 years ago, divided my 1 week trip between Rome and Florence, and attempted to see just the highlights.  Let me tell you, not only did I not see nearly enough of the cities, I was EXHAUSTED!  Never again will I attempt to pack so much into such a short trip.  We ended up cancelling our plans entirely for the last day because I just couldn't do anymore.  I know you're probably thinking, "I want to see everything I can, who knows when I'll get to go back," but you might just end up having a miserable time because you've tried to spread yourself too thin.  I would just pick 2 cities and save up to come back and see the third!  
  • I spent 5 days in London and easily could have spent more there.

The Knot magazine actually had a feature about this this month. There's a discount airline in Europe with flights from Paris to Rome for under $75. The real issue is that you can't book roundtrip air from the US to London and back - you have to book single legs to London and then back home from Rome, which can be pricier.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • We would be spending at least 2 weeks doing it. I've already been all over France so I think it's a great idea for a trip for us. 
  • Hey CrysMarie,

I am looking at doing some places in Europe for my HM as well and came across what I think is a very good site - goaheadtours.com - They have a London, Paris, Rome tour which may be of interest to you. You may or may not like organised tours... but worth a look maybe? Good luck! i am still trying to figure out mine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards