New York-Western

Cakes

We just started looking into cakes, any suggestions as to where to go??  I was a little  suprised with how much they cost!!

Re: Cakes

• AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Ohlson's in Clarence. They were great to work with and quite reasonable! The cakes are beautiful and taste delicious. Wolter's was a bit cheaper when when I tasted their cake it tasted like poop. It was worth the little bit extra for a great tasting cake!! Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting ours from Butterwood in Williamsville
  • edited December 2011
    Muscoreil's has amazing cakes. On the pricier side, but amazing. They also recreate your top tier for your first anniversary instead of you freezing it. I've also heard great things about Dessert Deli and Butterwood.
  • edited December 2011

IMO Dessert Deli is better than Butterwood and Muscoreils.  I have  no idea on their prices though, since we're not doing a cake.

• gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm going to echo shan2910. muscoreils does some great things/little extras.  if you're worried a lot about price, consider having a small tiered cake to cut, and then an undecorated sheet cake in the kitchen. once cut, your guests won't know that their cake was the 'flat' one. =P
  • edited December 2011
    We went straight to Muscoreils without giving it even a second thought.  Having been what seems like a ton of Buffalo-area weddings over the last few years, the only cakes I've consistently found to be excellent were all from Muscoreils.  The pricing seemed reasonable to me, plus every cake is baked fresh - many bakeries freeze and defrost, and you can totally taste the difference. 
  • AmandaB29AmandaB29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:622Discussion:02ebb25a-ad7c-46c1-82f4-d08365a448b8Post:2da4df0b-f212-43db-81ae-93084228574f">Re: Cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]We used Ohlson's in Clarence. They were great to work with and quite reasonable! The cakes are beautiful and taste delicious. Wolter's was a bit cheaper when when I tasted their cake it tasted like poop. It was worth the little bit extra for a great tasting cake!! Hope that helps!
    Posted by AeroStyle[/QUOTE]

We went with Ohlson's also..They also create your top tier for your anniversary.
  • AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did Sweet Beginnings in Kenmore/Tonawanda and they are amazing. Also recreate the top tier... I think most places do that these days.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    I've never had a wedding cake from Sweet Beginnings but all of their other cakes, cookies and pastries are delicious!
  • Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I didn't shop around honestly, but ever since I discovered the delicious pastries at Carriage Trade Bakery on Elmwood (near Amherst Street in Buffalo), I decided to go with them for the cake.  We had a tasting and everything was delicious.  I think their prices are reasonable, any custom cake is NOT going to be cheap unfortunately, but we're getting a groom's cake as well and I thought the price was good for the two.  It's a family-owned business, really small, and I feel good about giving them my money.

• MrsPawlak2BMrsPawlak2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this will sound crazy, but a friend of mine used Wegmans and it was delicious.  She had them use their "ultimate white cake" which you can buy there anytime.  It was literally one of the best wedding cakes I've ever tasted and I couldn't believe it was from Wegmans when I asked!  Now I'm addicted to that darn cake... haha  Anyway, not sure how much they would charge, but just an idea...
    8/6/11 ~ Happily Ever After!
  • AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:622Discussion:02ebb25a-ad7c-46c1-82f4-d08365a448b8Post:4586ef57-6f04-439b-a2df-de336c38a4ac">Re: Cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know this will sound crazy, but a friend of mine used Wegmans and it was delicious.  She had them use their "ultimate white cake" which you can buy there anytime.  It was literally one of the best wedding cakes I've ever tasted and I couldn't believe it was from Wegmans when I asked!  Now I'm addicted to that darn cake... haha  Anyway, not sure how much they would charge, but just an idea...
    Posted by MrsPawlak2B[/QUOTE]

Wegman's does wedding cakes!?!?! I was wishing they did while I was looking for a cake. Their cakes are deelish!!
  • edited December 2011
    Tops also does wedding cakes - I had a friend get hers from there, and a small custom made cake from Muscoreils...they served the sheet cake to the guests and kept the small tier from Muscoreils for the bridal party.
  • rtmdmomrtmdmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Ohlson's.  It was amazing and much much cheaper then quotes we got from  muscoreils and desert deli.  I have had a great Wegman's cake too (at a friend's wedding), they are actually catered their whole wedding, but I am not sure about their pricing.
  • edited December 2011
    We got our cake from Zilly's on Elmwood in Buffalo.  Zilly was great to work with and the cake was delicious.  We got many compliments on the cake.  (pics and link in bio) If you are trying to save money find a baker that can get buttercream really smooth (Zilly can) and use that instead of fondant.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a little late, but if you are anywhere near Geneva, Lori Legott from Club 86 Bagels and Cakes does amazing work for half the price of every other bakery we visited.  We went with her amazing white/strawberry cake and our guests are still raving about it.  Definitely worth a look!
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Rich's is where our cake was from. It was the best wedding cake I have ever tasted! So freakin good!

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards