Flowers

dumb?

2»

Re: dumb?

• edited December 2011
    Have you considered buying the flowers in bulk off the internet?? There are some amazing resources online for bulk flowers, flower kits, wedding flower kits, etc. They take time to put together and you have to be creative but they are significantly cheaper than a florist and I have found cheaper than really nice fake flowers. 
  • AmiHough AmiHough member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see you have had many good replies on here!  I am a soon-to-be bride as well as a wedding planner.  You may wish to consider non-floral centrepieces and/or non-floral bouquets.  Things like lanterns, purses, ribbons, etc. work well to carry up the aisle.  Candles are always a great alternative for centrpieces.  Try to look around your home for things that you love and have around you every day - think recycling, reuse, repurpose.  Whatever your centrepiece is can also be used as a give away (eg.  4 glass holders in the centre of the table with candles can double as your favour for 4 couples at the table).  Your options are only limited by your imagination!!! 
    Good luck! 
  • edited December 2011

Not Dumb at all!

I struggled with that question for 2 weeks :)

Go real that was the advice i got... Why? because it give the big day a more elegant look...

Oh by the way i don't know if anyone else ever heard this before but i was told that the wedding says alot about the Bride and her planer...like the type of person she is etc...

What you you think?

• edited December 2011
    As a profesional florist(who is also currently planning her own wedding) I have seen fake and real used in the same wedding.  I cant say it was my favorite look was what the bride wanted.

If you pick fresh flowers that are in season, that traditionally run cheaper or find a florsist that is willing to work with you on wholesale flowers you can do all fresh for almost the same price.  You can purchase bulk roses for some very reasonable rates.  Another suggestion would be to contact a floral design program/ school around your area and try to hire some of the students, they need the experience for future careers but are still knowledgable.  Goodluck!
  • annrajannraj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding the other day where it was OBVIOUS from about a 6 feet distance that the flowers were fake. THAT is saaad, just sad. 
    As long as they really look genuine, go for it, but don't go for too cheap and fake looking.. :)
    I moved half way around the world for this man - and I'm so happy I did!
  • edited December 2011
    I am also using both silk and real flowers.  Actually all flowers except for my bouquet will be silk.  The bridesmaids all want to keep theirs, the groomsmen don't care either way, and I am donating the altar arrangements to the church when we're finished with them.  My bouquet is real for the fact that I don't want to keep it.  I'm leaving the stems long on all bouquets and will be putting mine in a vase to admire for as long as they're alive and then "laying them to rest" when they're done. lol.  I will get more enjoyment out of them that way, than i will tossing the bouquet into a box.  My mother isn't a florist but is so amazing at arranging flowers.  So, she is my acting florist.  She's making the altar arrangements to compliment the church and since I won't need them when we're done, they will stay with the church.  We've also made a seperate "toss" bouquet out of silk flowers.  I will be buying our mothers' and grandmothers' corsages from the floral shop so that our moms and grammas dont have to feel guilty for throwing them away when they're done.

My entire budget for 6 bridesmaids/groomsmen, 2 altar arrangements, 3 entry table arrangements, my bouquet, FI's bout, and the corsages is $150.......  Michaels and Hobby Lobby have real looking silks that go on sale 40-50% off every few weeks.  And our Grocery store is a national chain that has a floral shop inside with gorgeous looking stems at $5-10 per bundle.  NICE!!! 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Try going to http://www.wedideas.com/ They claim that their Natural Touch silk flowers look and FEEL the same as real flowers. I can't vouch that it is true but it sounds amazing. 
  • edited December 2011
    I live in the NYC area and I am getting my flowers at the wholesale flower district.  I really want peonies, which are one of the most expensive flowers (4x the price of roses!!!).  And at the wholesaler they are only $2.50/stem.  All I have to do is go to the wholesaler 1 month before the wedding to pick my flowers.  And I need to come back to pick them up a few days before the wedding (they will last in a cool room).  And I have to pay tax, since I am not a reseller.  I've looked a little bit at wholesale florists online.  They were more expensive (same peonies were $8.00/stem), but still cheaper than a florist.  And the online wholesalers deliver/overnight ship depending on how far you live from them.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011

I'm using all silk and I'm doing them myself.  We are getting married on a cruise ship in port and cannot take real flowers onboard.  I could get real flowers from the wedding coordinator the cruise line uses, but I didn't care for the options they had.  For me it's budget friendly, I can have them all ready before hand, and I get the exact flowers I want.   Plus I enjoy flower arranging and have done bits and pieces for 2 of my sisters weddings.  I was worried about it looking fake, but I made a bridesmaid bouquet and I can't tell it's fake in the pic.

• edited December 2011
    No way. I found my florist at the farmers market. She uses a combo of cultivated wild flowers and commercial ones to create a rustic enchanted look. She's local and only charged me $500 for all my wedding flowers! I feel like I'm stealing but it's totally because I chose to go local and seasonal. It makes sense. 

You can also buy bulk flowers yourself online to be delivered the day before the wedding. It's extra work but fun and if you pick seasonal flowers their way cheaper. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards