Wedding Party

NWR: When IRL and internet collide

I just saw someone posting on E who I know (knew in college) IRL. It's no problem at all, since a) we were perfectly friendly and b) I don't have some alternate internet-only personality, but I had a little moment of "ahh, what are you doing here!" Especially since me being Emily who lives in Chile doesn't exactly make it hard for someone who knows me to figure out that it's me.

Has this ever happened to you? Would you be freaked out if it did, or think it was cool, or what? Just curious :)

Re: NWR: When IRL and internet collide

• The closest I've come to this is realizing another knottie is from my same area.  It seems like most IL brides on these boards are from Chicago and this was the first time I've come across someone from my same area.  Now when I'm out and about, I always wonder if I will run into her!
  • Frogurt, what part of Illinois are you from? I'm in central/western IL, but I definitely hear you on the mostly Chicago-area Knotties. I think there was a Central Illinois board for maybe 3 months, but it was completely dead and got rolled into the "Illinois" board.

So, as far as what you're experiencing, Emily, I can't say that it's ever happened.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't experienced seeing anyone I know IRL on the boards. I know of a few who have knot accounts, but never post on the boards.

Frogurt, I think you're talking about me. lol.

Licia, I'm in Central IL.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a friend who was recently engaged and is on  my local board.  I have seen her post on the flower board too, but we used to work in a flower shop together, so that's not too weird.  I also knew another bride when I was on here as a BM 4 years ago, but I think she is a bumpee now. I did wonder though if copycat girl was on here and saw my post last week.

Emily, as long as you're real, you're good :)
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • I haven't seen anyone I know IRL but it wouldn't really surprise me.  A ton of people H and I know are recently married or getting married.

I have seen pictures of someone I know in the background of peoples' dress pictures, though.  In the sig of a poster on E who GBCK'd and a post or sig of someone who posts on the national boards only occasionally.  The posters are from my area and the girl is a dress consultant, but it was still weird.  I don't usually remember seeing people in the background of bridal shop pictures that are posted here.
  • Get out of town, Randi. I guess I just kind of figured I was the lone Central, IL representative. Shows how self-centered I am.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Licia, yep, I'm from Central IL.

Randi, yep, I am talking about you. :)
  • Woooow. So much Central Illinois in one place. Who knew?
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Yes, actually.  Anyone remember the girl who posted here who wanted to have bridesmaids, but her FI wouldn't let her because he didn't have anyone to be a groomsman?  That was a friend of mine from Disney.  I'd been hearing from a lot of mutual friends how much they didn't like the guy, but I didn't give it too much credence until I saw her post here.  I didn't end up responding because I had NO idea what to say, and I wasn't sure how she'd react to her anonymous plea no longer being anonymous.  He ended up calling the wedding off with about a month to go.  So much drama.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Yes, I've had both the "OMG how are you?" experience as well as someone finding that I was talking smack about them on here. Yikes on the second one.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • I also live in central ish Il.  How interesting that there are so many of us.
  • I am also from Central IL...
    Anniversary
  • So weird.  We should have a G2G in Central IL!  I always see other knotties talking about G2Gs, and I'm like aww, I don't live anywhere near anyone else to have a G2G.
  • Frogurt- where are you?
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwr-irl-internet-collide?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:40a0dd39-8a13-4483-a03a-60eaee7badddPost:2d0386e0-8386-4c4b-bfa9-5e1f03e1227c">Re: NWR: When IRL and internet collide</a>:
    [QUOTE]Frogurt- where are you?
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]
    At my desk? Or do you mean geographically?  Central IL :)
  • I'm having my mind blown by all this Central Illinois-ness. Where should we have a G2G? Corn field? Abe Lincoln's tomb? The possibilities are endless!

All kidding aside, I really had no idea how many people were from Central Illinois on this board. This is kind of neat. 

/geeking out.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Corn field, of course!  Isn't that what Central IL is all about? :)

• I'm finding it pretty awesome that there's more Central IL ladies than frogurt and me!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards