Wedding Etiquette Forum

FB and wedding pics

In this FB age, we are all about instant picture gratification.

My question is this: is it rude/inappropriate/what-have-you for guests at weddings to post pics on FB before the B&G do? Is that the B&G's "AW moment" to share or is it a picture free-for-all?   What say you?
The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
"So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

Re: FB and wedding pics

• I was really excited when I woke up the day after our wedding and saw that people had already posted pictures.  Considering that our photographer didn't send us our pictures for nearly a month and a half after the wedding, I was happy to be able to see anything after. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I didn't care at all, and was actually happy that people did.  H and I were laying in bed the morning after and looking at FB on my phone, and we had quite a few pics on there from people.  Some had done mobile uploads throughout the day, like me walking down the aisle and a few things from our reception.  We loved getting to see them so soon.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I hope some of my friends post pictures right away because it will probably be a little while before I can and I want to see them. I don't plan on carrying a camera around, and I'm too impatient to wait for the professional pictures.
  • For me, I wouldn't necessarily mind, AS LONG as the shots were "good shots" of me and not in awkard moments.  I can't control what friends post obviously, so if I did see a photo I was tagged in, I would untag myself.  But overall, I wouldn't mind their posting pics of our wedding first.
  • Yeah, I wanted to be vain and see myself asap. It was forever until I could get my own pictures up.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • I was excited that people posted pictures so quickly...and I'm so glad that all of my TK FB friends (well most) have wedding pics up...b/c I've stalked all of them. =) I'm terrible.
  • I actually liked when people put up pics of our wedding on FB before I could (I still don't have the disc from my photog).  I liked seeing stuff through the eyes of others who were at my wedding.  Plus I was just so excited after the wedding, I wanted to see any and all pics that showed up.

And like, I wasn't naked or passed out drunk in any pictures.  We looked awesome.  As far as I'm concerned there wasn't anything to be upset about over them getting posted.
    panther
  • I loved coming home the next day and seeing pics up from the wedding. I had my personal assistant take some pics but she didn't take that many. My friends took a ton and I loved them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've seen wedding pictures uploaded on FB all the time, some even from a phone at the ceremony. Pics of  the B&G, not just reception fun.  Like the picture was uploaded before the unity candle was even cool.

IDK - I think it would bother me slightly.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Didn't bug me at all...even the unflattering ones. I was just so excited to see them. But I'm also a FB hoar.
  • Ditto what everyone else said - I would love to see them the day after.  Unless they were unflattering, lol.

I actually took a video of my friend (the bride) dancing the electric slide at the reception and posted it to facebook, she loved it and thanked me for it.
    Photobucket
  • My SIL and cousin-in-law posted pictures from our wedding the day after our wedding.  I think they have them privacy protected so only their friends can see them, so really, it wasn't the world that could see my wedding pictures.  It was nice, though, having access to some pictures to post here before my pro-pics came on.

I admit to untagging myself in pictures in the past that I found completely unflattering, but my in-laws were kind in their tagging.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fb-wedding-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eafc2062-ee26-42a0-ba19-b2a32ec57da0Post:3b480777-42f9-455b-b7b9-75629962701d">Re: FB and wedding pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]holy shiit AATB - that is the most amazing sig pic I've ever seen.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Courtesy of one anna.oskar.  You should field trip to SB sometime... there are a few ridiculous ones floating around.  I think its hilarious.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fb-wedding-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:eafc2062-ee26-42a0-ba19-b2a32ec57da0Post:3b480777-42f9-455b-b7b9-75629962701d">Re: FB and wedding pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]holy shiit AATB - that is the most amazing sig pic I've ever seen.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Ditto
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would rather people didn't post pictures of me on facebook in general.  But there's nothing I can do about it.

Posting from a phone during the ceremony?  I think that's really rude.  Pay attention for about 5 minutes to what is happening, instead of playing around on your phone.  People constantly updating/uploading from their phones when they're out doing things bugs me anyway, tough.
  • Uploading from my ceremony really didn't bother me.  We had a full Catholic mass for our ceremony, which I fully admit can be excruciatingly long if you aren't Catholic and have no idea what's going on.  And technically, they could have uploaded them after the ceremony, I didn't pay that much attention.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fb-wedding-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eafc2062-ee26-42a0-ba19-b2a32ec57da0Post:b8776a62-932d-4694-b553-952717c9b435">Re: FB and wedding pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uploading from my ceremony really didn't bother me.  We had a full Catholic mass for our ceremony, <strong>which I fully admit can be excruciatingly long if you aren't Catholic and have no idea what's going on.</strong>  And technically, they could have uploaded them after the ceremony, I didn't pay that much attention.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

lol, I agree with that statement 100%.  (we will also be having a catholic ceremony, in french to boot!)
    Photobucket
  • Won't bother me in the slightest.  We won't have our own pics until we get them from the photographer, whenever that ends up being, so... why not?
  • I personally hope no one posts pictures of us/me in my dress before I do but that being said, I wouldn't make a big deal of it.  It'd just be fun for the 1st photos posted to be professional/a couple of my favorite.
    Anniversary
  • I was glad when our guests put up pictures of us.  I knew our pro pics would take awhile and a lot of relatives who couldn't come to the wedding were able to see them.
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fb-wedding-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eafc2062-ee26-42a0-ba19-b2a32ec57da0Post:b8776a62-932d-4694-b553-952717c9b435">Re: FB and wedding pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uploading from my ceremony really didn't bother me.  We had a full Catholic mass for our ceremony, which I fully admit can be excruciatingly long if you aren't Catholic and have no idea what's going on.  And technically, they could have uploaded them after the ceremony, I didn't pay that much attention.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I'm Catholic as well, and mass can definitely seem long even for me.  And after the cermony? No big deal.

I guess I don't feel comfortable taking/posting pictures in a house of worship that I don't belong too, since I don't know if someone would perceive it as disresprectful or not.  And that's where a lot of my thought about refraining from using phones to post photos during the ceremony comes from.
  • I will probably (okay I won't like I know I will) check facebook the next morning waiting in the airport for our flight and bounce up and down when people post pictures from the wedding/reception or be sad if no one has. lol I love pictures, I don't care who posts them first! :)
  • I hope they do post tons of pictures of the wedding.  That will be exciting to see.  But I will knock a bitch out if she posts any pictures of me in my dress before I walk down the aisle.    I don't mind if they take pictures of the getting ready process but  I hope they would post it after the ceremony/reception. 
    "Do I look like a killer to you?" "Yes, you kill my patience." -Castle
  • Ditto others - I liked that there were pics up within a day or two. Obviously the pro-pics were way better, but having shots of us, walking down the aisle, dancing, etc was great.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I was excited to see them the day after the wedding.

The one thing I did mind was a friend who put our pro pics up on his page before I did. He came over right when we got our CD, and H gave him a bunch of the pictures that had him and his friends in them (a bunch, since he was a GM). He then decided to put all his fun pictures in an album, and I freaked out and made him take them down until I could put the photos - that we paid for! - up myself. He just didn't think.
  • i was glad when people posted pictures.  i wanted to relive the day immediately!

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • I didn't care if people put up pictures before I did.  However, on our honeymoon we didn't have internet access and it bothered me that I kept getting email updates on my phone that I'd been tagged in a picture... and I couldn't see the picture.

My cousin put a note in her program that said "Please refrain from posting pictures on social media." 
    Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fb-wedding-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eafc2062-ee26-42a0-ba19-b2a32ec57da0Post:2f07260a-962a-4591-9a4e-2c97d6e770a1">Re: FB and wedding pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would rather people didn't post pictures of me on facebook in general.  But there's nothing I can do about it. Posting from a phone during the ceremony?  I think that's really rude.  Pay attention for about 5 minutes to what is happening, instead of playing around on your phone.  People constantly updating/uploading from their phones when they're out doing things bugs me anyway, tough.
    Posted by Meg1036[/QUOTE]

This times 100.  You're there to see the ceremony, not post pictures on FB.  And besides, all the people that would care about that pics are either at the wedding or, if they're not, they're home pissed off because they weren't invited and therefore you're just adding insult to injury.   And sure, maybe the people that couldn't make it would like to see pictures, but they're likely off doing whatever it is that kept them from your wedding.  If you have to post them right away, at least wait 20 min until the ceremony is over.  Those that aren't present that will want to see pics will be perfectly satisfied with uploads 20 min after the fact.  End rant.  <div>
    </div><div>As for posting pics on FB before me, I wouldn't really mind.  As others mentioned, I'd like to wake up the next morning and look at pictures right away, and photographers tend to take FOR-EV-ER to get photos back, so it'd be nice to have something in the meantime.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fb-wedding-pics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eafc2062-ee26-42a0-ba19-b2a32ec57da0Post:f9c497b4-4e66-48c7-9a86-da48e0b24246">Re: FB and wedding pics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FB and wedding pics : This times 100.  <strong>You're there to see the ceremony, not post pictures on FB.  And besides, all the people that would care about that pics are either at the wedding or, if they're not, they're home pissed off because they weren't invited and therefore you're just adding insult to injury.   </strong>And sure, maybe the people that couldn't make it would like to see pictures, but they're likely off doing whatever it is that kept them from your wedding.  If you have to post them right away, at least wait 20 min until the ceremony is over.  Those that aren't present that will want to see pics will be perfectly satisfied with uploads 20 min after the fact.  End rant.   As for posting pics on FB before me, I wouldn't really mind.  As others mentioned, I'd like to wake up the next morning and look at pictures right away, and photographers tend to take FOR-EV-ER to get photos back, so it'd be nice to have something in the meantime.  
    Posted by mejane123[/QUOTE]

I think you're giving yourself way more credit than you deserve-- people do not care that much that they were not invited to your wedding.

Out of curiousity, do those of you who said you wouldn't want pictures posted to social media sites during the ceremony not want any pictures taken by others during the ceremony?
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards