Wedding Reception Forum

Toasts from the whole Wedding Party?

I want all of our wedding party to be included as much as possible!  We are thinking about letting each member of the wedding party say a short speech instead of just the MOH and BM,,,, I've been to weddings where the speeches stunk and I don't want that to happen!

I think if each person is allowed a short speech, we would do it during dinner or immediately following?  That way it takes up some time--we're having like a 7 hour reception! : /   

Anyone think this is absolutely ridiculous? lol.  Has anyone seen this done before?  We have 5 bridesmaids and groomsmen, plus the MOH and BM.  I'm thinking no one would talk for more than a minute or two!

Re: Toasts from the whole Wedding Party?

• As a guest I wouldn't want to listen to a lot of different speeches. As a BM I wouldn't want to give a speech, unless I was the MOH(and then I would sort of have to).

Totally up to you though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Since my wedding is small we are doing the same thing.  I find it offensive when someone says as a guest I would not want to listen to all that.  Why are you at the wedding then?  I always like to hear what others say about the bride and groom.  Granted you don't want it to last 15 minutes no, but just little comments why not?

Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
  • If it were 10 or 15 minutes I wouldn't mind that even, but some people can talk for 5 minutes by themselves.

And you go to the wedding to celebrate the marriage, not necc. to listen to others speeched.

Sorry if I offended you, but I just think if it lasts too long it sort of gets boring.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry, but this isn't a roast, it's a reception.  Please don't have the entire wedding party give a speech. While you may think it is a wonderful idea and want to include them, I can guarantee your guests will be sitting there but not sharing your enthusiasm.
  • I would just keep it to a minimum. At my wedding we are just having MOH and BM speak.
  • I find it really inappropriate to ask anyone to toast you.  If they offer, fine, but to ask them seems really rude and presumptuous to me.

FWIW, I was in a wedding once where the MOH was really uncomfortable speaking in public, but wanted to say something.  The rest of the BMs and I offered to stand with her and give a "group speech."  The whole thing was about 2.5 minutes, but it was much easier on her and her stage fright.  I would prefer something like that to a series of 5 2 minute toasts.  

Longer toasts and roasts belong at the RD.  
  • I think that it is a great idea! We are doing something along the same line. We are asking our wedding party to tell a short story about us even if its just 2 sentences. We said that it can be funny, sweet, sad, etc.. a time that they shared with us that meant something to them. We also told our wedding party to keep it under one min each, expect the MOH and BM. But this way our guest will see why we had them stand with us, in our celebration. They took the responsibility of being a part of your wedding. Its your day, its your wedding, not theirs, you do what you want, not what others want. Its about the bride and groom. This was not inteded to offend anyone just stating what I believe.
  • I think it is a great idea if the wedding party is up for it.  If they are uncomfortable, I wouldn't push the issue.  I think it sounds sweet and personable.
  • You never request a toast in your own honor. End of story.

It is kind of like asking for cash on your invites as a wedding gift. Let me guess, people here are ok with that too?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards