New York-Hudson Valley

F.E.A.S.T at Round Hill

Hi Ladies, Hope you are all doing well. My mother is planning to go visit FEAST at Round Hill for me this Friday (I currently live in Seattle making venue visits very hard!). The pictures look gorgeous online and the woman I spoke with on the phone was very helpful. I am curious to hear thoughts/reviews on this venue and also to see if they are at all flexible with their pricing. I'm looking at an Late Sept or Late Oct wedding for about 150 people. Also would like to have the 30 minute ceremony outside - do you think it would be too cold to do that in late Oct? Thanks for all of your help.

Re: F.E.A.S.T at Round Hill

• edited December 2011
    I recently had my wedding at Round Hill. I cannot say enough good things about my experience with them. I was so sad after my wedding that I wouldn't be speaking with Laura and Ellen on a regular basis anymore. Everyone went out of their ways to make my day perfect and the food is delicious. I do not know how flexible they were about lowering prices but they did add things (extra station during cocktail hour, cordial station w/dessert, etc.). You can get some very beautiful, warm days still in September and October. They do have a decent place for an indoor ceremony if you have to have it indoors. I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Good luck with your planning!
  • edited December 2011
    it is definitely a beautiful place! and the staff, as holli said, is the best. food is amazing! my wedding reception will be there nov 2010.when I wanted to see more pics before booking i saw some great ones by googling round hill house and looking for photographers blogs.
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also a Round Hill girl -- 4/17/10 =)I will try to tell you honestly what I think the pros and cons are.The pros: The building is *beautiful.* It does not have that "reception hall" feel, just an elegant, classy big old house. I love everything from the wall colors to the light fixtures. Seriously.The food, from what I've had and what I've heard, really is fantastic. The people are amazing. They werre so helpful on each of my visits, and whenever  e-mail them a question, the respond within 24 hours.I love that they only do one event a *day*.  SO you can have your event whenevr you like, and not have to feel rushed by another party beforeor after you.I think the pricing really is very reasonable. They include gratuity, which is helpful.I'm super excited to have my wedding there.That said, I do think there are a few "cons":To be honest, I really don't like the outdoor ceremony space that much. It kinda feels like you're in someone else's backyard. Not a big deal to me, since I'm getting married in a church, but something to be aware of.The dance floor is slightly separated from the dining area. I personally don't find this to be a con, frankly -- I don't really like it when the dance floor is smack in the middle of a ballroom. But this concerns some people.I'm getting married in April They don't do their "plantings" until May 1, so there will be very little in the way of flowers in bloom at the time of my wedding. I know this, but it's a bit of a bummer. Not sure wha it would be like in Oct/Nov though.Finally, from the pics I was expecting the grounds to be larger than tehy actually are.Having said all that, I think it's a fantastic place -- we loked a a milion venues, because we wanted something "different," and Round Hill hit all the right notes.I have pics. You can e-mail me at jenweds {at} gmail {dot} com if you'd like. But here are a few links I have saved:http://www.philadelphia-weddingphotography.com/2009/07/jess-dave-plus-long-island-rollergirls.htmlhttp://longislandrollerrebels.blogspot.com/2009/06/heartless-wedding.htmlhttp://www.pashweddings.com/content/articles/203/1/Our-Wedding-Story-Colleen-and-Roy/Page1.html
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all!! Your feedback is so helpful & I really appreciate it.
  • edited December 2011
    Just to echo what Jen said - the only "bad" thing I've heard about this place is that the dancefloor is separated from the rest of the room.  It looks gorgeous in all the photos.  Best of luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • jhow213jhow213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Round Hill 5/29/2010, so I guess I'm a little biased b/c obviously I liked it! :-)  I would have to agree with every single things that's been said previously.  My biggest concern was the dance floor being separate, but there are big french door all along it that open into the dining room so it's not completely separate.  I almost didn't visit there because of the dance floor issue, but when I saw it in person I fell in love anyways.  In addition to looking at hundreds of places online, we physically visited about 30 places and this was the only place that really fit what I pictured having for my wedding day - elegant, sophisticated, but not stuffy, different from your typical wedding hall look.  I think the price is fairly comparable with prices of other places of similar quality.  We tried to negotiate a lower price, but they wouldn't budge.  They did however substitute stations without adding an extra charge and they added the cordial/coffee station for no extra charge. One thing that was almost a deal breaker for my fiancee was that they close the bar an hour early - they did extend it a little for us and added the cordial station to make up for it.  I'm getting married at a church, but I actually think the ceremony spot is very pretty.  If you're lucky, you'll get a warm day in late Oct, but generally speaking it's pretty chilly here by that time of year.....I remember always being upset at having to wear my coat trick-or-treating.  Best of luck! 
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • stevenchelseastevenchelsea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone had a wedding at Round Hill in early November?  How are the gardens then - still worthy of photography?  Any help or pics from a wedding in November would be very helpful!!  Thank you!!
  • eclibraeclibra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it has been a while since you posted here, but if you read this, I was wondering how large your wedding was that you had at Round HIll, and hope you had a great wedding obviously.  It looks a bit small and I've heard contradicting capacity.  They claim they can fit over 200.  Thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_feast-round-hill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:10480050Post:54598fe4-12df-464a-b8aa-d8c4609d3e10">Re: F.E.A.S.T at Round Hill</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know it has been a while since you posted here, but if you read this, I was wondering how large your wedding was that you had at Round HIll, and hope you had a great wedding obviously.  It looks a bit small and I've heard contradicting capacity.  They claim they can fit over 200.  Thanks.
    Posted by eclibra[/QUOTE]

I've never been to Round Hill (it was too far for us to consider). But the numbers of capacity catering halls usually use is how many people they can fit at 12 to a table. So if they can fit 16 tables in the room (8 on each side) they can fit 200 people. (12 to a table plus the bridal party dias).

That doesn't mean that you want the dias or feel comfortable with the 12 people per table or want 16 tables in the room. But it is how many they can fit. Usually with a small dance floor.

I used to work a t a catering hall, and visited over 40 venues when we were planning, and always felt that a room is feels full, but not stuffed at around 75% of whatever number they say they can fit. So if they say they can <em>fit </em>200, I personally wouldn't want to put no more than 150 in the space. Your guests should still be comfortable at that point,.

GL!
  • Jaxx317Jaxx317 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi gang! I'm getting married at Round Hill in July, and this is a slightly unrelated topic, but was interested in posing to the ladies that have had their weddings there. I recently discovered that they don't do tasting for your to choose your entree selections, which I find really odd and somewhat upsetting because all of the other venues (all 20+ of them) we looked at offer this. They also just removed the one beef selection we were planning to get from the menu, so we sort of have to go back to the drawing board. Would you guys mind sharing your recommendations for entree choices? Specifically the vegetarian options. Has anyone had any bad or even mediocre entress?

And as an aside for anyone still considering Round Hill, I was just there over the weekend and one of the owners was literally walking around following up with staff on guests' complaints about food being cold. So they definitely like to take care of their booked couples!
    Bridezilla, only when provoked!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_feast-round-hill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:10480050Post:f7aa37e8-a97c-40a5-90a9-a532d67a1979">Re: F.E.A.S.T at Round Hill</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi gang! I'm getting married at Round Hill in July, and this is a slightly unrelated topic, but was interested in posing to the ladies that have had their weddings there. I recently discovered that they don't do tasting for your to choose your entree selections, which I find really odd and somewhat upsetting because all of the other venues (all 20+ of them) we looked at offer this. <strong>They also just removed the one beef selection we were planning to get from the menu, so we sort of have to go back to the drawing board.</strong> Would you guys mind sharing your recommendations for entree choices? <strong>Specifically the vegetarian options.</strong>Has anyone had any bad or even mediocre entress? And as an aside for anyone still considering Round Hill, I was just there over the weekend and one of the owners was literally walking around following up with staff on guests' complaints about food being cold. So they definitely like to take care of their booked couples!
    Posted by Jaxx317[/QUOTE]

Re - the beef selection. Since it was on the list of options when you signed with them, I'd ask to see if they will allow you to select it. (Sometimes old menu choices are grandfathered in)

Re - vegetarian option. We didn't have our reception at round hill, but we had pasta and vegetables sautéed in garlic oil. It was delicious and vegan friendly! (If you don't know all your guests dietary restrictions, its best if your vegetarian option is a vegan-friendly choice)
  • eclibraeclibra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tip!
    Round Hill is fun, but oddly arranged.  The room has a cut out in it so it's not perfectly square/rectangular, however when we were there for a tasting, there was 14 tables set up and it looked full.  The girl assigned to us was kind of new and couldn't explain how they accomidate more guestsm but with my math 14 x 12 is 168, so I guess I need to clarify with the owner.
  • Jaxx317Jaxx317 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks TerriandJoe! They told me they got rid of the ribeye because they continuted to get mediocre to bad cuts of it, so they decided to get rid of it. Why they aren't able to get their meat from somewhere else, I'm not sure. So I'm totally fine that they are getting rid of for quality control purposes. I just don't want to necessarily go for the more expensive upgrade (the filet). And thanks for veggie recommendation! That sounds perfect!
  • edited December 2011
    No problem! Glad I could help!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi all,

I am currently in a bind with The Round Hill.  I am booked for this November and fell absolutely head over heels in love with the venue, however I went to their Bridal Expo thing this past weekend (where there were about 250 people at) and I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of people there.  I had a panic attack, ran to the bathroom in the middle of the whole thing and called my mother sobbing.  On Sunday they had 20 tables set up (10 people/table except they also have 3 tables available for 12people) and it was very tight.  There was 1 table set up right in front of the steps that join the dining area with the rest of the house and another table shoved all the way in the corner that those people may as well not be present.  I spoke to the owner today and although he assured me that he has done weddings for over 200 people I can't help but still feel uneasy about it because I know that even if I end up at 200 those tables will still be in the same 2 spots.  Anyway, i'm on here looking to see if there are any brides that have had weddings there for 200 people that can share their experience.  The owner has been very kind and accommodating and I still love the place but i'd like an opinion other than his own. 

Thanks!
  • Jaxx317Jaxx317 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi vllaurado - I'm can't offer any information/advice, but I totally agree with you! I was there at the bridal day as well, and thought there were wayyy too many people! I too hated that table at the bottom of the stairs, and actually my fiance noticed it first and was more annoyed by it than me! It is really hard to believe that they can *comfortably* accommodate over 200 people because I thought it was super cramped. I hope that it ends up working for you! I am sure the owner will honor his word - just continue to be assertive about your concerns!

• edited December 2011
    Hi Jaxx,
    How many people are you having at the Round Hill?
  • Jaxx317Jaxx317 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    vllaurado - sadly , our original plan was to have 100 people max. but now it's looking like we could have 125-135 or so. my preference was to go w/only tables of 8 but now we'll prob have to bump up to tables of 10 :( have you had any luck working on your set up to accommodate your group?
  • I am looking to have my wedding at roundhill in early November.  Does anyone have any information about how the area looks at this time of year?
  • I visited in March and it was very dismal outside. The fence near the parking lot had fallen and hadn't been repaired even though they had a wedding the previous evening. The place looked old and the chairs had an oddly colored burnt orange cushion. The appetizers were pretty good-well the ones could try at least (I'm a vegetarian). I could see that the service would be great though as the tour felt personalized and our tour guide was very informative. I didn't go with them in the end though. It just wasn't for me.
  • We visited in October and it was nice enough, but I think that it is probably much prettier during spring/summer. I couldn't deal with how close it was to the street though. The food was great but it just wasn't exactly what we were looking for
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards